Trans States?

sbe

Hi guys!

I posted about a week ago about application/interview timing as I'm coming off of owning a photography business where I have a small amount of work I'm contracted to photograph next year. Now that I've been convinced to do what I can to work around these dates rather than wait to apply until they are fulfilled, I am going full steam ahead toward finishing up what's left to meet hiring mins and start applying. Right now my goal is to be at that point by late fall or at the latest by the holidays.

I've been researching heavily on where to apply. A lot of my local contacts in the 121 world are at the majors and aren't as helpful in providing guidance as they aren't super in-tune with what is going on in the regional world. I realize a lot may change between now and later this fall, and that may negate some advice I receive now. However, I'm interested in chatting with people at the airlines I'm interested in so I have an idea of what to expect and what I'm getting into at each place. I also fully realize that everyone has a different priority as far as QOL, pay, upgrade time and whatnot, so everyone's mileage varies.

My number one choice would have been to be home-based. Unfortunately the airline with a base in my hometown has some issues to work out...or perhaps not (Republic).

My number two choice is Trans States, as of now. Which means right now they are really my number one choice. I'd love to hear from TSA guys/gals and learn a bit more beyond what I may already know - I'm trying to stay up on things as best I can. I'm most interested due to their growth, assuming I don't get on on the total back-end of that when I get hired - and the ability to be STL-based, as it's the closest thing to home-based for me right now. At 3.5 hours away, it's driveable if needed and that reduces a lot of stress to me. I was told at OSH that I'd have a high probability of getting a STL base out of training - does this still hold true? I know it can change at any time.

I'm looking into a few other airlines as well and am keeping my mind open right up until I start applying, hopefully sooner rather than later. My husband and I are homeowners and have been for some time - and he has a very stable and rapidly expanding job here in Kansas City, so moving is really out of the cards for us. Luckily he too is a pilot and once considered the airline route, completely supports me, and knows the suck that can be involved with commuting. We're trying to reduce the suck as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sarah

Well I am not on the line yet ( still waiting for IOE) but STL is where all of the new hires are being sent right now so if STL is what you want, you are in luck.

Reactions: sbe
I work at TSA (IAD based) and you will definitely be able to hold STL as it is really junior right now. A lot of people are stuck there that want out. You might also want to consider DEN from MCI as its not too bad of a commute. TSA has its good and bad just like any regional but it is growing fast and has a decent contract. The biggest negative is the payroll department (and the rest of Holdings admin staff) as you basically have to audit your check every time and it will always be wrong. The pilots are treated a lot better than the rest of the company especially in comparison to the FAs.

We just received a TA for the pilots to vote on that will make starting pay $35/hr and training at min guarantee but I'm not sure it will pass. It will probably be close and if it fails, it will just get tweaked a little to get 50+1. The TA also reduces Airport Reserve to 8 hours from 10 while keeping the 5 hours of pay. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

You can pm me a well. I've been at TSA over two years now. I've never been based in stl. But I can ask a few buddies that are out there. Great company to work for in my opinion, if you live in base.

Thank you all! I am sure I will have questions as I move forward. I appreciate the offers to PM and I will likely take advantage of that! I've never done this before so....I will be the no-prior-121, CFI applicant preparing to take a nice long drink from the fire hose :ooh: I'm ready to give it a shot, though.

Thank you all! I am sure I will have questions as I move forward. I appreciate the offers to PM and I will likely take advantage of that! I've never done this before so....I will be the no-prior-121, CFI applicant preparing to take a nice long drink from the fire hose :ooh: I'm ready to give it a shot, though.

I was in your shoes two years ago. I had zero part 121 experience and flew nothing bigger than a be-76. But I had a great ground and sim instructor. They literally kicked my butt everyday and they made me study harder. Fast forward two years and I became captain. I still see my old instructors around hq and I thank them for pushing me and believing in me. It's all worth it and if you study hard and give it your all, they will work their hardest to get you through.

Hi Sarah! I work at Republic. I came to RAH so I could also be home based in STL (I live in Jefferson City, MO). It worked out great until we closed it. We open and close more bases than just about anyone! Who knows how long MCI will stay open? Also, yes, we have A LOT of issues to work out. I highly recommend NOT coming here. Trans States is the better choice.

@sbe I'm at Trans States based in STL. This is the junior base now and pretty much all new hires since April have been getting it.

Thank you all! wildfreightess, I spoke with a couple RAH pilots at OSH and even though they were in the recruiting booth, they were pretty candid with me and said the same thing, that RAH bases open and close at an above-average clip. Sorry you ran into that luck with STL.

I think TSA has to definitely be my go-to choice right now. I may hit you TSA folks up with some questions when it is time to apply. Right now, I need to fly the rest of my hours and get my multi hours finished off and get that app in. Moving as fast as humanly possible!

Thank you all! wildfreightess, I spoke with a couple RAH pilots at OSH and even though they were in the recruiting booth, they were pretty candid with me and said the same thing, that RAH bases open and close at an above-average clip. Sorry you ran into that luck with STL.

I think TSA has to definitely be my go-to choice right now. I may hit you TSA folks up with some questions when it is time to apply. Right now, I need to fly the rest of my hours and get my multi hours finished off and get that app in. Moving as fast as humanly possible!

I believe tsa will hire you if you don't have your hours. As long as you are close they will give you a job offer. Then you call them when you have your hours and they give you a class date.

I believe tsa will hire you if you don't have your hours. As long as you are close they will give you a job offer. Then you call them when you have your hours and they give you a class date.

Good to know!!

Well I am not on the line yet ( still waiting for IOE) but STL is where all of the new hires are being sent right now so if STL is what you want, you are in luck.

When was your check ride? I'm about to join the waiting list for IOE and just curious how long I'll have off!

When was your check ride? I'm about to join the waiting list for IOE and just curious how long I'll have off!

Should be around three to four weeks. I had my captain checkride end of July and started ioe second to last week of August.

And Kansas City is not typically a junior base at Republic. That could change, but it's also not a hub and that makes it a risky career move.

Back