The Official 5/2 (PUB2) Geographic Preference thread

yes that is all the same i have heard about texas. its huuge and every city is different. i think its neat that it used to be its own country and its so close to mexico. i was looking at housing in houston and youre right- its dirt cheap. rochester is on the top 10 cheapest places to live lists right now too, so its hard to find cheaper elsewhere. is your friend in roc an atcer by any chance? i def like the hot seasons too. its summer here in upstate ny and im wearing a hoody everyday bc its cold to me. so you live in houston? do you think its a good place to live and work? i heard it was dirty but it seems nice.

I was in Houston a short time... the best thing about Houston in my opinion was when I would see the "Now leaving Houston, come back and see us!" sign. I kid! I didn't really like it there. Living in North Dallas now... LOVE IT. Also don't forget... not state income taxes (of course I think you were also wanting to go to Florida, so you're set in the tax regard either way!)

yes that is all the same i have heard about texas. its huuge and every city is different. i think its neat that it used to be its own country and its so close to mexico. i was looking at housing in houston and youre right- its dirt cheap. rochester is on the top 10 cheapest places to live lists right now too, so its hard to find cheaper elsewhere. is your friend in roc an atcer by any chance? i def like the hot seasons too. its summer here in upstate ny and im wearing a hoody everyday bc its cold to me. so you live in houston? do you think its a good place to live and work? i heard it was dirty but it seems nice.

I wasn't trying to give a civics lesson on the state just trying to give you a frame of reference. You weren't really specific in what you wanted to know and I didn't feel like writing a bunch of information that would otherwise be pointless. No, my friend is not an atcer, him and his wife are doctors.

People always say Houston is dirty yet I have no idea what they're talking about. It's not squeaky clean but it's certainly not dirty. At least it doesn't smell like most places I've been to. So do I think Houston would be a good place to live/work? Well, I'm a little bias as I lived here pretty much my whole life. The city has it's ups and downs like any other just need to know what you want and whatever that is, there's a pretty good chance you can find it here...

I was thinking MA because it would the closest in relation to weather as NY. Not sure if i can handle the humidity in FL. CA is nice and I have always enjoyed visiting there. I live on Long Island, not exactly he cheapest place to live but I am sure its a tad cheaper than SF. Is there a high demand in MA?

Someone on these forums was selected for Boston, so I'd imagine there is moderate demand in MA. However, as some have pointed out, be careful of Nantucket (ACK). Apparently there are no apartments on this island, and even if there were, you probably wouldn't be able to afford it. If you select MA, consider adding "will not consider ACK"

Nikki at Robinson Aviation told me today that the Geo Preferences e-mail will be sent in about 2 weeks. Panels in September.

BTW,

1) W.Va. (CRW)
2) OH

I know for sure that my first choice is gonna be Pennsylvania. Lots of great towers to work at there. The second is sky high in the air. I have my family in MD and lots of family in AZ.

Spokane, Washington is really nice and I've been to GEG lots of times. Virginia would be good for some Terminal Action. Man.

1.) PA
2.) AZ, MD, WA, VA....?

i'm thinking of NC for my second choice, but i know CLT is level 12(or i think i know) -- not that i'm scared, i'll try anything once but does anyone know much about AVL (asheville) its only a level 6 but i guess its not bad to start -- my wife's empoyer's sister location is in asheville, thats why i'm considering

I'm a PUB2'er too. I've been reading these boards for forever, finally decided to jump in and get to know you guys. I sure hope the 2 weeks is true and we'll all be picking our geo prefs. I live in CT, but have no idea if there is any demand at all around here.

Does anyone know if there is demand at Boston Center? If there is i'd be torn between putting my 2nd choice as either MA, or NH (to satisfy the Boston Center option).

Thanks.

i'm thinking of NC for my second choice, but i know CLT is level 12(or i think i know) -- not that i'm scared, i'll try anything once but does anyone know much about AVL (asheville) its only a level 6 but i guess its not bad to start -- my wife's empoyer's sister location is in asheville, thats why i'm considering

AVL is a SWEEEEEEET Airport (ok I lived 8 min. away from it for 10 years) I want to get back to AVL some time down the road since my folks live there still. AVL is an UP/DOWN in class Charlie airspace with a very high level of Corp. aircraft. It is a level 6 but its a busy level 6, I almost think it should be lvl 7 AT LEAST if not an 8. (check out flightaware.com and click on the airport graphs for ROA lvl 7 and then AVL lvl 6 both are up/downs) AVL is an UP/DOWN in class Charlie airspace with a very high level of Corp. aircraft. PM me if you have any question about the area.

Definetly going to be
1. GA
2. AL

I have spoken with one of my contacts and he said he can give about a 75% guarantee of getting me into either Montgomery(7) or Birmingham(8), and if not one of these he said it would be no problem getting me into a Georgia facility. This is great news for me, considering he is on the new hire team for the FAA.

Definetly going to be
1. GA
2. AL

I have spoken with one of my contacts and he said he can give about a 75% guarantee of getting me into either Montgomery(7) or Birmingham(8), and if not one of these he said it would be no problem getting me into a Georgia facility. This is great news for me, considering he is on the new hire team for the FAA.

Hey, talk to him about getting me at ZLA:rawk:

i could never work in the boston area bc the accent makes me cringe! ik i have a bad one too though lol.

HAHA. I say, "Bahstin Centah", and "Bahstin Towah". I also say that I would prefer to work at an " eah pawart. " and not at an "N root centah".

Is the route in en route pronounced like ROOT, or like STOUT?

A question to ponder. . . Does anyone know, when you put your preference in for specific locations in a state if they actually try to get you in your preferred location or just put you where they need you in that state???

A question to ponder. . . Does anyone know, when you put your preference in for specific locations in a state if they actually try to get you in your preferred location or just put you where they need you in that state???
The FAA's needs always come before our wants. doesn't mean you will not get exactly what you asked for, but only if what you asked for is what they needed.

If your guys' geo pref selection is like mine was, you do not have to select the second state. I only selected one state, Washington, and left the 2nd choice blank. I listed what I wanted for facilities in the remarks and have been told I got SEA, my 2nd choice (now my first choice since touring it lol). I don't know if the even read the remarks or just went with the facility closest to my home address.

Anyways, all that to say if you only want to go to one state, you don't have to put two.

I don't know if the even read the remarks or just went with the facility closest to my home address.

Thats what appeared to happen with my wife. She put down VA with IAD/DCA in the remarks and got ROA which is the closest FAA Facility to our current location.

AVL is a SWEEEEEEET Airport (ok I lived 8 min. away from it for 10 years) I want to get back to AVL some time down the road since my folks live there still. AVL is an UP/DOWN in class Charlie airspace with a very high level of Corp. aircraft. It is a level 6 but its a busy level 6, I almost think it should be lvl 7 AT LEAST if not an 8. (check out flightaware.com and click on the airport graphs for ROA lvl 7 and then AVL lvl 6 both are up/downs) AVL is an UP/DOWN in class Charlie airspace with a very high level of Corp. aircraft. PM me if you have any question about the area.

thanks for the info!...

Thats what appeared to happen with my wife. She put down VA with IAD/DCA in the remarks and got ROA which is the closest FAA Facility to our current location.

I hope they don't put me at the nearest facility.....That would put me at A80!! I hear I'll be fed to the wolves there. Maybe ATLTRACON would help me out, since he's the sweet, caring type! :D

Back