The Official 5/2 (PUB2) Geographic Preference thread

Primary is FL...
I live in Tampa, so it only makes sense. Tower/Tracons in my area are quite a few, clearwater, st. pete, sarasota, orlando, tampa...

Secondary I'm not sure...still debating.
It'll be either Hawaii, Nevada(vegas), Illinois(chicago)...

For pil0t1, FL is nice. Orlando I love. Tampa is good too. Lots of rain, lots of hurricanes, lots of sun. Hot year round, horrible summers, great winters. Any spot in FL is a decent area. Been to Daytona, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Ft. Myers, St. Pete, they're all nice areas with plenty to do. Orlando, Tampa, & Miami have a bit more to do lol. Only place I say would suck would be Pcola. Jacksonville isn't as fun either, but it's not too bad.

yeah fl is nice. i used to live in orlando so i know what i would be getting into. i love the heat and the weather and the people. ive also been to most of those coastal cities and theres just a good way of life there. i would def. like it. does anyone know about life in tx? almost everyone in fl was from another state and im assuming its totally diff in tx. i heard austin is very nice and clean. ive got friends from san antonio, houston, brownsville and they all have the best things to say about tx.

what is it about the 2nd choice states that makes you want to live and work there?

Not sure, my preference is to stay in NY as I already own a house here. however, I wont turn down an opportunity so I want to make my second choice somewhere where there is high demand for controllers. That is why I need some input from everyone to make my decision.

#1 LA ..hopefully MSY
#2 -still don't know what to do, thinking NC because the wife's workplace has a sister location there but i really wnat to get the job so i'll go wherever need be.

just don't want to get stuck somewhere in alaska or the middle of nowhere... thinking about FL TX HI or CA

1. NY
2. ??? Maybe FL, CA or MA...i need some input here folks.

Too expensive to live in CA... that is, if you end up in the Bay Area near San Francisco. I'll probably be renting a room for the first year since apartments are just too much.
However SoCal is probably a bit cheaper...

MA is a nice state, don't you think? I've always enjoyed traveling to Boston.

does anyone know about life in tx? almost everyone in fl was from another state and im assuming its totally diff in tx. i heard austin is very nice and clean. ive got friends from san antonio, houston, brownsville and they all have the best things to say about tx.

Texas is a lot different from upstate new york for example if you're one of those who likes the change of seasons, you're not going to get that here. Texas has three seasons; hot, hotter and wet followed by hot. There's a good amount of diversity here and each city is it's own. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio; all different and all great in their own ways. Also keep in mind that all those things you heard about how big this state is are true. So if you take a job down here and want to go sight seeing, be prepared to travel some distance. Plus it's much cheaper to live here. A friend of mine from Birmingham moved to Rochester and the house him and his wife bought was two and a half times more than the one I live in here in Houston and it was half the size of my house!

Too expensive to live in CA... that is, if you end up in the Bay Area near San Francisco. I'll probably be renting a room for the first year since apartments are just too much.
However SoCal is probably a bit cheaper...

MA is a nice state, don't you think? I've always enjoyed traveling to Boston.

I was thinking MA because it would the closest in relation to weather as NY. Not sure if i can handle the humidity in FL. CA is nice and I have always enjoyed visiting there. I live on Long Island, not exactly he cheapest place to live but I am sure its a tad cheaper than SF. Is there a high demand in MA?

I was thinking MA because it would the closest in relation to weather as NY. Not sure if i can handle the humidity in FL. CA is nice and I have always enjoyed visiting there. I live on Long Island, not exactly he cheapest place to live but I am sure its a tad cheaper than SF. Is there a high demand in MA?

I'm counting on it. Not alot of people bring it up on the message boards, so maybe??

It sounds like you all got your email for the geo pref??? I havnt got anything yet. . .

On a side note, did you all read the HOT!!! thread? I am curious what affect this will have on us PUBNAT2 guys, no PEPC until October perhaps? I hope not. . .

I am thinking NC or FL, more specifically, CLT and MCO. I'm not really sure what it is that draws me to CLT. It's a larger airport, and a decent size city. But, I just think that living there would be great.
Does anyone know of the staffing needs for either state by any chance? I know that FL is difficult to get due to the fact that a lot of the older controllers like to go there to retire.

I am thinking NC or FL, more specifically, CLT and MCO. I'm not really sure what it is that draws me to CLT. It's a larger airport, and a decent size city. But, I just think that living there would be great.
Does anyone know of the staffing needs for either state by any chance? I know that FL is difficult to get due to the fact that a lot of the older controllers like to go there to retire.

I work in CLT ATCT. We're packed with new trainees here. Something like 40 developmentals.. all of them CTI. Not one OTS here that I'm aware of, but it's probably too soon to see them here. I'm a 5/2er myself, and it's questionable that I'll even be able to get into CLT simply because they are really loaded up with trainees. (that's directly from the management here)

NC as a whole, however, is still very low. I know they are specifically looking for people at FAY and ILM.

It sounds like you all got your email for the geo pref??? I havnt got anything yet. . .

On a side note, did you all read the HOT!!! thread? I am curious what affect this will have on us PUBNAT2 guys, no PEPC until October perhaps? I hope not. . .

None of us have, as far as I know. We're just discussing.
I did'nt expect our pepc's to be until October anyways. If the panels are meeting late August, early September as speculated, then that would be completely reasonable.

anybody know where i can find how staffed a certain facility is?

also, what do yall think about the PUBHI announcement, anyone considering it?

Agreed on that "facility population" question above... I plan on listing KS / MO, as I'd like to stay in the KC area - I understand Kansas City center is short-staffed...

:confused:

anybody know where i can find how staffed a certain facility is?

also, what do yall think about the PUBHI announcement, anyone considering it?

Unfortunately you'd have to know someone who works there, or get very lucky with a phone call to the support manager or someone who feels chatty. Staffing levels per facility are not publicly listed, as far as I'm aware.

None of us have, as far as I know. We're just discussing.
I did'nt expect our pepc's to be until October anyways. If the panels are meeting late August, early September as speculated, then that would be completely reasonable.

Good to know, for a minute there I thought I was the only one who didn't get a geo pref email. . . Since were on the topic, do you guys know how long it typically takes for them to send those out??? I think all of PUBNAT2 guys are done taking the atsat, right?

Good to know, for a minute there I thought I was the only one who didn't get a geo pref email. . . Since were on the topic, do you guys know how long it typically takes for them to send those out??? I think all of PUBNAT2 guys are done taking the atsat, right?

Not 100% sure but from the chatter on here it looks like, based off the FEBOTS timeframe, that we should be seeing something this week or next. And I believe that the last test date for us 5/2ers was last Friday the 18th.

Texas is a lot different from upstate new york for example if you're one of those who likes the change of seasons, you're not going to get that here. Texas has three seasons; hot, hotter and wet followed by hot. There's a good amount of diversity here and each city is it's own. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio; all different and all great in their own ways. Also keep in mind that all those things you heard about how big this state is are true. So if you take a job down here and want to go sight seeing, be prepared to travel some distance. Plus it's much cheaper to live here. A friend of mine from Birmingham moved to Rochester and the house him and his wife bought was two and a half times more than the one I live in here in Houston and it was half the size of my house!

yes that is all the same i have heard about texas. its huuge and every city is different. i think its neat that it used to be its own country and its so close to mexico. i was looking at housing in houston and youre right- its dirt cheap. rochester is on the top 10 cheapest places to live lists right now too, so its hard to find cheaper elsewhere. is your friend in roc an atcer by any chance? i def like the hot seasons too. its summer here in upstate ny and im wearing a hoody everyday bc its cold to me. so you live in houston? do you think its a good place to live and work? i heard it was dirty but it seems nice.

Back