The Official 5/2 (PUB2) Geographic Preference thread

1 - Texas
2 - If there's an any where option I'll be selecting that because I really want to get hired and don't care where I end up...as long as it's some where it doesn't snow...God I hate snow...

As far as Terminal or En Route, I'm going to choose both as I'll take whatever's available...

I'm glad someone made this tread bc I need people to bounce ideas off of. Lets see... my parents suggest that I leave the state for this job. 1/2 of me agrees, i used to live in florida and would love to go back. or i would like to try out a place that ive never been- but is that stupid? what if i ever need to move home, too. its not like transferring from one mcdonalds to another. I am from upstate ny and i'm sure they could use me up here, and housing is pretty cheap up here and everything. idk if i would regret staying here though. i have a lot of friends who live in tx and i'm thinking to put that as a choice. north carolina also crossed my mind bc it is close enough to drive to see my family. i really wouldnt care where i was sent as long as it isnt in some small town in the middle of nowhere. that is my biggest fear of this whole thing. what do you all think about this? any advice?

1. fl
2. ny ?

You can transfer, but plan on going somewhere initially that you could live for at least 5 years. It will probably be that long before they will let you bid for another facility. Really, any place you go is good. Just go somewhere. Get the job and transfer later is my opinion.

Right thats the most important thing is getting the cpc out of the way and then worry about getting my ideal location. thats good advice. you dont think there are any bad locations though? i mean i think i would like almost anywhere i could be placed in fl, but with some states its like - i need to be in THIS city or not at all.

Me personally, I'm going to take whatever they offer me. I picked WA and terminal only. There are 2 places out of 7 that I would not like to go but oh well. Your best bet I think is pick the state, first. Then look at the facilities that the FAA has in that state here. You can then find out what level each facility is here. I would avoid TRACON's. They're not really setup to train new-hires. ARTCC's (centers) are the best place to get trained followed by lower-level towers (level 9 and lower). Towers above that level may be a lot harder to train at but doable.

Anyways, once you have some facilities picked out then google the city that they're in or ask around here for people who've been there.

Heh. Bingo. SEA & BFI are my first choices.
Haha, I figured those would be the two. I'm a WA terminal guy myself and I'm hoping I don't get either of those as well. But, like you I will take whatever the give me. I'll find out on Friday.

Me personally, I'm going to take whatever they offer me. I picked WA and terminal only. There are 2 places out of 7 that I would not like to go but oh well. Your best bet I think is pick the state, first. Then look at the facilities that the FAA has in that state here. You can then find out what level each facility is here. I would avoid TRACON's. They're not really setup to train new-hires. ARTCC's (centers) are the best place to get trained followed by lower-level towers (level 9 and lower). Towers above that level may be a lot harder to train at but doable.

Anyways, once you have some facilities picked out then google the city that they're in or ask around here for people who've been there.

:yeahthat:I have heard that yes, TRACONS are not learner friendly but they have gotten better. Also there are a lot of Facilities that are being combined TWR/TRACON (UP/DOWN) and you get checked out in the Cab first and check out there, then you go to RTF and then get checked out in the TRACON before becoming CPC.

:yeahthat:I have heard that yes, TRACONS are not learner friendly but they have gotten better. Also there are a lot of Facilities that are being combined TWR/TRACON (UP/DOWN) and you get checked out in the Cab first and check out there, then you go to RTF and then get checked out in the TRACON before becoming CPC.
I think an up/down would be an excellent choice. If there was one near me I'd be trying for it.

Haha, I figured those would be the two. I'm a WA terminal guy myself and I'm hoping I don't get either of those as well. But, like you I will take whatever the give me. I'll find out on Friday.
I'm expecting my TOL sometime next week... interviewed last Tuesday. One of the OKC folks hinted at me being chosen for SEA prior to my interview, but said that could change. My interviewer (a very nice gentleman, the ATM for SEA) can recommend what they chose or anything else so I don't know. I told him I wanted to work there though.

Aren't you hoping for GEG? I would pick that first except my wife doesn't want to leave western WA.

Aren't you hoping for GEG? I would pick that first except my wife doesn't want to leave western WA.

You are correct sir, I'm hoping for GEG. That's where I grew up, so GEG would be great. Although I have friends and family over in the Seattle area so any of the facilities in the area would be good too.

Right thats the most important thing is getting the cpc out of the way and then worry about getting my ideal location. thats good advice. you dont think there are any bad locations though? i mean i think i would like almost anywhere i could be placed in fl, but with some states its like - i need to be in THIS city or not at all.

well... i wanted to put both terminal and en-route for my preferences in the illinois area but with all the horror stories i hear about ZAU, i think i'm going to steer clear.

these are the areas i am considering. if anyone has any 411 about any of them please let me know :D

-in tx i am interested in austin atct (or anywhere in houston/dallas/ft worth)
-in fl i am interested in orlando and ft lauderdale (but almost all of the facility locations interest me except for like pensacola and jacksonville)
-in ny i am interested in roc (because I am from there) but also downstate (even though COL is so crazy and the lifestyle is so fast paced, it is still close to home)

and of course theres a million places i would accept, but these are the ones i prefer the most. i would like to hear from anyone who may work at any of them or just live in the area.

Primary is FL...
I live in Tampa, so it only makes sense. Tower/Tracons in my area are quite a few, clearwater, st. pete, sarasota, orlando, tampa...

Secondary I'm not sure...still debating.
It'll be either Hawaii, Nevada(vegas), Illinois(chicago)...

For pil0t1, FL is nice. Orlando I love. Tampa is good too. Lots of rain, lots of hurricanes, lots of sun. Hot year round, horrible summers, great winters. Any spot in FL is a decent area. Been to Daytona, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Ft. Myers, St. Pete, they're all nice areas with plenty to do. Orlando, Tampa, & Miami have a bit more to do lol. Only place I say would suck would be Pcola. Jacksonville isn't as fun either, but it's not too bad.

Primary is FL...
Secondary I'm not sure...still debating.
It'll be either Hawaii, Nevada(vegas), Illinois(chicago)...

I put Hawaii as my first choice (PUBNAT1), but got my second choice of CA. It's fine with me since I live in CA and won't have to move far.
I haven't heard of anyone being hired OTS to Hawaii, either on this forum, or from people in aviation I know. Just be careful with this: You could be wasting a preference if they aren't picking people for HI. If you do select HI for one of your states, consider complementing that with a large state.

I'm from the DC area and would like to stay here. The region is divided up into 2 states and a district, so I am trying to strategize how I should set my geo-prefs... My preference is ZDC in Leesburg VA, but I am also open to working at Potomac TRACON or one of the 3 major towers in this area...

I am probably going to set VA #1 and MD #2, but because VA has other terminals, I'm somewhat hesitant to list it so high...

#1 OK
#2 TX

does anyone know if additional locations listed in the comments section will be considered? I'd like to stay close to home, but if neither is available, I'd move where there's a need.

Back