The jump seat battle with the uneducated.

Oh, maybe he flies medevac. I didn't know those guys got jumpseat privileges. Still, I thought they had flight nurses/doctors for strapping down loose patients.

Supposedly that's in the cards at the rumor mill at my employer. If that day ever occurs, I can't wait for the hilarity.

I guess until you need a medevac and get the bill.

"Sir, we had to transport you from Fresno to Sacramento via Medevac, that's an additional $56,419"

"Uhh, I'm a pilot, that was technically a jumpseat!"

Going space available might kind of suck though.

We had cabin only jumpseat deals with a lot of the HeliTour guys out here but after some... issues, the program was terminated.

Going space available might kind of suck though.

We had cabin only jumpseat deals with a lot of the HeliTour guys out here but after some... issues, the program was terminated.
It's still going on for the US peeps. I did the heli Grand Canyon rim tour for $35 each for my wife and I a couple months ago. Best value ever, retail on it is around $230! They get recip agreements on US Airways/Express.

Too bad you guys lost those tours out there, they kick butt.

Last edited:
Quick question for you Delta guys. I know that you can pre-list for a jumpseat on your own metal but what about a DCI carrier? Can you pre-list for them also? I ask because I had a situation on my commute the other day where I was at the gate 90 minutes before departure (don't ask) and initially listed on the flight (DCI operated by SkyWest) as a non-rev with plenty of seats available in the back. Then United cancels a flight and some of them get rebooked on my flight and the seats disappear. I see this happening and approach the agent 30 minutes before departure, inquire about the load and she says it doesn't look good so I ask about the jumpseat and she says someone is already listed for it. Interesting to me because for the last hour I was the only pilot standing around the gate area and I haven't seen anyone walk up to the counter with badge in hand to list. I wait till the end of boarding and just as I am turning to make the dash to terminal B to try a make a Southwest flight this gentleman in a Delta uniform appears out of the ether and I ask him if he is the one listed on the JS and he says yes. I say OK and bolt for terminal B so hence my question. Can you guys pre-list? I just thought it was interesting because I was at the gate for 90 minutes and never saw this guy until the end of boarding.

IIRC, you don't actually have to be at the specific gate to list for the js. Any agent at any gate can do it within the allowed time prior.

Quick question for you Delta guys. I know that you can pre-list for a jumpseat on your own metal but what about a DCI carrier?

Honeybunches of NOPE.

Can you pre-list for them also?

DCI? Nope.

But you can get on the 'jumpseat list' almost on any airline if a gate agent is being helpful.

I listed for a jumpseat almost three hours in advance at USAirways in JFK last year, but we had a really good rapport.

Honeybunches of NOPE.

DCI? Nope.

But you can get on the 'jumpseat list' almost on any airline if a gate agent is being helpful.

I listed for a jumpseat almost three hours in advance at USAirways in JFK last year, but we had a really good rapport.

I didn't think so. It was just kinda strange as it is a rather small terminal and the whole time I was waiting at the gate I never did see him. I suppose he could have listed at another gate and had been hanging out in the airport bar or something.:D OK good to know, Thanks!

I had a United agent (back in my XJT days) list me for a flight 1 hour and 5 minutes before departure time. That got me a verbal berating and a front row seat to a temper tantrum of epic proportions, inclusive of a threat at the end, from a mainline United pilot. All I said to him was that it didn't matter what time either one of us checked in, it was SkyWest flight and I had priority. He then proceeded to inquire why I had priority, with spittle flying.

Me: "Because they own us."
Him: "Well, I'm not aware of anything like that."
Me: "Just because you're not aware doesn't change the fact."
Him: "Well, I hope you NEVER come over to United."
Me: "Excuse me?"
Him: "I hope you NEVER come over to United."
Me: "Is that a threat?"
Him: (Silence and storming off in a huff).

God, I miss being a UAX pilot.

I didn't think so. It was just kinda strange as it is a rather small terminal and the whole time I was waiting at the gate I never did see him. I suppose he could have listed at another gate and had been hanging out in the airport bar or something.:D OK good to know, Thanks!

I used to check in at the main counter at USAir in JFK. I'd be walking past on my way to security and invariably they'd recognize me and go "Hey!" and put a form on the counter.

The America West/USAirways jumpseat system and congeniality is unmatched.

I had a United agent (back in my XJT days) list me for a flight 1 hour and 5 minutes before departure time. That got me a verbal berating and a front row seat to a temper tantrum of epic proportions, inclusive of a threat at the end, from a mainline United pilot. All I said to him was that it didn't matter what time either one of us checked in, it was SkyWest flight and I had priority. He then proceeded to inquire why I had priority, with spittle flying.

Me: "Because they own us."
Him: "Well, I'm not aware of anything like that."
Me: "Just because you're not aware doesn't change the fact."
Him: "Well, I hope you NEVER come over to United."
Me: "Excuse me?"
Him: "I hope you NEVER come over to United."
Me: "Is that a threat?"
Him: (Silence and storming off in a huff).

God, I miss being a UAX pilot.
Good grief.

Haha ran into that the other day...I kept saying it was literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard...needed 300 lbs of ballast and the station had 400 but said it would leave them with less than the required amount...so freaking stupid.

Back in my mad scientist days, I called around looking for a part for our autoclave. Since I was the only one in the lab who had any sort of competence with tools more complicated than a flat head screwdriver, this crap fell to me. We REALLY needed it working.

So, I call around and call around. At the end of my list, and me approaching despair, the LAST guy on the list says he has the part.

Me: "AWESOME DUDE! I'll drive right over and pick it up!"

Them: "Well, I can't sell it to you"

Me: "Huh? Why not?"

Them: "It's our last one. If I sell it to you, then we'd be out of stock".

Me: ....

Richman

I used to check in at the main counter at USAir in JFK. I'd be walking past on my way to security and invariably they'd recognize me and go "Hey!" and put a form on the counter.

The America West/USAirways jumpseat system and congeniality is unmatched.

The Northernjets system was pretty sweeeeeet....especially with the automated JS booking.

Richman

Back