The Attack on the 2nd Amendment Continues

Firearms.jpg

I am assured that more laws, making things illegal-er, will help.

It has to start with juries and judges first. If judges are handing out probation for crap like this, we have bigger issues. This needs to be fixed and addressed because more laws won't mean jack if people just get a light slap on the wrist.

Not really.

A lot more pilots have mental illnesses than you think/are reported.

I'm sure they do.

But that doesn't change that acting on it in a way that creates a safety hazard for the flying population (compared to the number of safe flights that occur) makes him and that incident still very much an outlier.

I'm sure they do.

But that doesn't change that acting on it in a way that creates a safety hazard for the flying population (compared to the number of safe flights that occur) makes him and that incident still very much an outlier.

You are still assuming. Do they self medicate? Turn to meds that aren't tested for yet but pose a safety of flight concern? Folks act on their issues more than you think that creates a safety hazard. We just don't see it, yet.

It has to start with juries and judges first. If judges are handing out probation for crap like this, we have bigger issues. This needs to be fixed and addressed because more laws won't mean jack if people just get a light slap on the wrist.

That's what all us "obstructionist gun nuts" have been saying and demanding from the beginning. More laws don't help the problem when you don't enforce the ones you have. At least not if the problem is preventing criminal activity. Now if you have other goals....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hasn't this been the argument all along? Enforce the rules on the books and see where we end up before we start needlessly criminalizing the multitudes of legal owners?

Crap. I posted.

f5bfd7f8f58c459e02297aee1bd24510.jpg

Put down the money for another pistol, I'll pick it up tomorrow, or next week if I end up flying

Last edited:
So I'm watching the new season of House of Cards and they are spending a lot of time on gun control. They keep referring to the "internet loophole" and are making it seem like any terrorist could buy guns off the internet as easy as buying a book on Amazon. I know it's Hollywood, but I was under the impression that when you purchase a gun online that it has to be shipped to a FFL. Doesn't the FFL do the background check through NICS? Where's the loophole? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm having a hard time watching the process be misrepresented. Am I missing something?

Not really.

A lot more pilots have mental illnesses than you think/are reported.
define "mental illness"
So I'm watching the new season of House of Cards and they are spending a lot of time on gun control. They keep referring to the "internet loophole" and are making it seem like any terrorist could buy guns off the internet as easy as buying a book on Amazon. I know it's Hollywood, but I was under the impression that when you purchase a gun online that it has to be shipped to a FFL. Doesn't the FFL do the background check through NICS? Where's the loophole? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm having a hard time watching the process be misrepresented. Am I missing something?
Person to person ALA armslist.com maybe?

No, you're not. Just wouldn't be very interesting if in the period between the opening credits and the first commercial break the antagonist tried to buy a gun to fulfill a nefarious plan and was thwarted by reality, and following the law currently in place.

Of course they could then highlight the illegal arms trade, porous border and other real threats, but, well, you know....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no internet loophole. If you buy online from a dealer, yes, it goes to an FFL for a NICS check before being transferred to you. If you however use a site like backpage.com or something to locate a private individual who is willing to meet you in person and sell you a gun privately (assuming it is legal to do so where you live), then that is fine, but that still isn't the same thing as the misinformation that you can buy guns direct to your house online.

One sort of exception to that is if you have a Curio & Relic license for essentially what are antique firearms (firearms older than 50yrs from present date). With said license, you can purchase said C&R firearms online and have them shipped to your door. However these guns are not what you're finding "on the streets™" of Chicago. And you won't be finding gang bangers obtaining C&R licenses due to the requirements & paper trail to the ATF.

Clear as mud?

There is no internet loophole. If you buy online from a dealer, yes, it goes to an FFL for a NICS check before being transferred to you. If you however use a site like backpage.com or something to locate a private individual who is willing to meet you in person and sell you a gun privately (assuming it is legal to do so where you live), then that is fine, but that still isn't the same thing as the misinformation that you can buy guns direct to your house online.

One sort of exception to that is if you have a Curio & Relic license for essentially what are antique firearms (firearms older than 50yrs from present date). With said license, you can purchase said C&R firearms online and have them shipped to your door. However these guns are not what you're finding "on the streets™" of Chicago. And you won't be finding gang bangers obtaining C&R licenses due to the requirements & paper trail to the ATF.

Clear as mud?

A C&R license is a 03FFL. It's a method for someone to get an FFL that isn't associated with a business, but a BATFE background check is still required.

A C&R license is a 03FFL. It's a method for someone to get an FFL that isn't associated with a business, but a BATFE background check is still required.
You are correct and I could have been more clear. I was addressing one way to have firearms shipped directly to your door.

They keep referring to the "internet loophole" and are making it seem like any terrorist could buy guns off the internet as easy as buying a book on Amazon. I know it's Hollywood, but I was under the impression that when you purchase a gun online that it has to be shipped to a FFL. Doesn't the FFL do the background check through NICS? Where's the loophole? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm having a hard time watching the process be misrepresented. Am I missing something?

You're right: there is no such "internet loophole".

However, what the gun control folks are actually referring to is websites like armslist that help people arrange face-to-face sales (which have their own lengthy set of laws they must adhere to, also, but which gun control folks love to ignore). They are intentionally distorting the term to make it sound like something it isn't to the uneducated. What you're seeing on House Of Cards is an entertainment industry writer writing his understanding of the perversion of the term...it is a mutation of a mutation.

It is the same as the gun control crowd using the term "assault weapon" and "semi-automatic" to make it sound like something it isn't to people who don't know any better.

Just like ol' Mike Bloomberg here trying to intentionally misrepresent what an "assault weapons ban" would ban, and fortunately the journalist called him out on the lie:

Of course, it wouldn't be a good gun control argument without a NY city boy lecturing hunters on what they do and don't need...because, after all, that's what the 2A is about: hunting.

I didn't make a statement bringing mental illness into this conversation with an attempt to talk about outliers and mental illness.
You said, and I quote, " A lot more pilots have mental illnesses than you think/are reported"
I'm an impulsive purchaser. Should I be medicated? maybe check yes on the medical?

Truth be told, I didn't mean to quote you, was going to originally and then popped out of tappatalk. apparently when I went to answer the peer to peer "house of cards" question it remembered the draft....

now I have to go buy like 5 more guns!!! damn you!

Back