The Attack on the 2nd Amendment Continues

Hacker15e

Who am I? Where are my pants?
Here we go; next AWB to be introduced by Feinstein as soon as next session of Congress starts. She was just on NBC's Meet The Press discussing the points:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/dianne-feinstein-assault-weapons-ban_n_2311477.html

"It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession, not retroactively, but prospectively," and ban the sale of clips of more than ten bullets, Feinstein said. "The purpose of this bill is to get... weapons of war off the streets."

Of course, as some of you have said, the "Pro 2nd Amendment" President Obama probably won't support this because he supports gun rights so much:

Smith & Wesson Posts Insane Earnings, Revenues Skyrocket

Actions speak louder than words - and a lot louder than a party platform that the President isn't even remotely bound to. As I remember it, GW broke pretty far from the party platform on immigration.

Obama being pro-guns just doesn't mesh with the preconceived notions of a lot of old white guys, so they make up their own truth.

Smith & Wesson Posts Insane Earnings, Revenues Skyrocket

Ideology is cool, and it's fun to fight on the internet about it, but the results of the Obama presidency have been everything that the anti-gun lobby hates. You can argue ideology all you'd like, and you can argue that these things were done as a compromise because Obama wanted to see the Credit Card Holder's Bill of Rights get passed, but it doesn't matter.

Because the result has been that gun owners right have not been curtailed under this administration

I'm going to write my congressman to introduce a bill preventing the reporting of all such events.

This is circulating on social media, but it's very true.

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media
reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed
people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

I'm flipped over to Reuters only to learn there was a bombing in Kirkuk and Japanese elections. I would have never known watching my beloved Fox, or the pinko-commies of MSNBC.

What an ass. I am sick and tired of our politicians trying to regulated us to death.

"Oh, so now you can't do/have this because (insert what ever you want here) happened once."

We could have banned this stuff ages ago. Let me post this here and see what people think.

Are we going to ban knives as well? I mean 22 people were stabbed in China on the same day(21 children and 1 adult I think). Soon, all you'll be able to have is a plastic butter knive and a spork, to eat with your government issued "safe" meal.

Like how the TSA took metal flatware away from the airlines, so a 1st class meal is served with chintzy plastic utensils.

It amused me how they took the metal flatware away, but not the glass drinking glasses for 1st class. I mean, stepping on and breaking a glass cup to create a sharp glass dagger is completely out of the realm of possibility...

The government can't possibly take away all possible weapons. No matter what! Instead of trying to take away the tools, let's focus on the CAUSE and the WHY and work the problem from the inside-out.

Government has done a very good job of regulating to keep us safe.

Look no further than Meth.

Are we going to ban knives as well? I mean 22 people were stabbed in China on the same day(21 children and 1 adult I think). Soon, all you'll be able to have is a plastic butter knive and a spork, to eat with your government issued "safe" meal.

That might not be the best example to use since it illustrates how it is a lot harder to kill a bunch of people with a knife as opposed to a gun. I am not supporting gun legislation, just pointing out that this particular argument might support the opposing side more than you intend.

Let's look at this for what it is: legislators who all ready do not like average Americans owning firearms that they don't approve of (Sen Feinstein authored the 1994 AWB, too), taking the opportunity of a tragedy to advance a cause they have believed in for years.

Anyone who objectively looks at the root causes would not conclude that, with the AR-15 being the bestselling firearm in the United States for about the past 8 or 9 years (meaning millions of them are in common ownership -- see below), a ban on the future purchase or manufacture of them is going to make a lick of difference in preventing events like Friday's tragedy (assuming Senator Feinstein's statement about an apparent grandfather clause is true).

This is "feel good" legislation that does not actually do anything to help fix the problem, in the same way that TSA is much like 'security theater'.

I took this picture just the other day in the Sporting Goods section of my local WalMart. Note how the sign calls the depicted AR-15 a "modern sports rifle":
IMG_6798.jpg

According to the Heller and Miller SCOTUS decisions (and with apologies for quoting wikipedia), "With that finding as anchor, the Court ruled a total ban on operative handguns in the home is unconstitutional, as the ban runs afoul of both the self-defense purpose of the Second Amendment – a purpose not previously articulated by the Court – and the "in common use at the time" prong of the Miller decision: since handguns are in common use, their ownership is protected."

Although the above quote references the validity of handguns because of their common use, I don't think it gets any more common than being for sale at WalMart, or being the "best-selling firearm in the United States". Pretty strong argument that AR-15s fall under the common use clause.

I think there is a legitimate argument now that did not exist in 1994 (based on Heller and Miller) that an AWB is unconstitutional.

What an ass. I am sick and tired of our politicians trying to regulated us to death.

"Oh, so now you can't do/have this because (insert what ever you want here) happened once."

We could have banned this stuff ages ago. Let me post this here and see what people think.

How many of those kids died?

So my Mini-14 won't be considered an assault rifle since it has wood on it right?
(Besides the fact that it can be easily modified to full auto and has a 30 round mag.)

Haha no and the PLR-16 is still considered a pistol.

Read about the worst school massacre ever in Bath, MI in 1927. Didn't involve a gun.

Ban guns, perhaps these people then go full-Hamas and strap bombs to themselves. Evil is always going to find a way.

That said, knee-jerk reactions are always fun. I am eagerly awaiting a multi-thousand page bill from Congress to deal with this issue. If it is an effective as the last couple multi-thousand page bills it will not only miss the mark completely but will also cost a whole lot of money that we can borrow from China. It will be fun.

How many of those kids died?

That's not the point; the point is that in one of the most oppressive and restrictive countries in the world, there is still mass murder attempted.

Since we have a Constitutionally-enumerated (and SCOTUS reaffirmed) right to personal ownership of arms (and thus we're never going to live in the personal firearms 'free' utopias like China), it is peeing in the wind to think that an AWB or a limitation on the size of magazines would have had any impact whatsoever on this type of violence.

Read about the worst school massacre ever in Bath, MI in 1927. Didn't involve a gun.

Ban guns, perhaps these people then go full-Hamas and strap bombs to themselves. Evil is always going to find a way.

That said, knee-jerk reactions are always fun. I am eagerly awaiting a multi-thousand page bill from Congress to deal with this issue. If it is an effective as the last couple multi-thousand page bills it will not only miss the mark completely but will also cost a whole lot of money that we can borrow from China. It will be fun.

I visited the memorial site they set up. All that remains is the top of the school tower. It's strange because it is in the middle of a small neighborhood and people stare at you while you read the sign they have set up.

With that being said I am afraid of everything and everything should be banned. The only people that should be allowed to have guns are our dear leaders. Heh, sarcasm.

Back