Technique Only…

Paying for pens is a bold move. I end up leaving a pen in the plane every other leg.

I *almost had to* after the pandemic March 2020. My primary pen ran out, and my 2 backups in the my flight bag did too. Right when it died, I had an overnight where the hotel did have a hotel pen.

That stuff went away in the pandemic. No hotel notepads, no hotel pens. You could get Covid from touching those. But the one thing that didn’t go away? The Bible placed by the Gideons. I guess Covid doesn’t touch religious books so they’re safe. Some hotel logic right there.

Those cards are not correctly named, as there is very little space for actual takeoff and landing data thereon, just saying.

One of my principal sources of amusement was watching the wUNDerkinds dutifully fill out all of the form then, after they flipped the airport around before pushback tear it off and scribble a new one with just the flight number, minto, and release fuel. Was always fun watching them fret over not having a fully filled out TOLD card on departure. No, I don’t need you to transcribe the ATIS for me, I can read it off the FMC just fine.

I will say I still brief in the WANT method. I never used that • WARTS/NATS stuff. No thanks, overly complicated for no reason. But positive side is no one really cares anyways.

Ugh, WARTS/NATS is just terrible, I still give WANT briefs too. Wasn’t too thrilled in Captain Charm School being told with excitement about how “threat forward“ is coming and how wonderful it is. Having the PM brief extra threats at the start won’t solve the horrible mess that is WARTS/NATS.

Side question, where do you guys all get your van driver dollar bills for tips? Around here, it is getting harder and harder to find a place that will break, say, a $20 for ones. Grocery stores no. Gas stations no. Everyone is somehow short on 1’s or procedurally prohibited from doing this. Only time i can get it, is a nod nod wink wink sort of situation, where the employee is deciding to do me a “favor”. Sort of ridiculous IMO

Side question, where do you guys all get your van driver dollar bills for tips? Around here, it is getting harder and harder to find a place that will break, say, a $20 for ones. Grocery stores no. Gas stations no. Everyone is somehow short on 1’s or procedurally prohibited from doing this. Only time i can get it, is a nod nod wink wink sort of situation, where the employee is deciding to do me a “favor”. Sort of ridiculous IMO

Chase bank ATM inside the bank gives whatever withdrawal in singles. I’ll do $20 at a time. But with day trips, I’ve been saving tips…

The bank for me. Or I buy a pack of M&Ms at the airport and get a few ones. I haven't had any trouble at hotels either.

I go to the bank and get $100 half in 5’s and half in 1’s

Hotel front desk, frequently. Or I’ll buy mints or something at the airport with cash and ask for 1s with my change.

Had a UA jump seater today who was surprised that the company provides pads of our TOLD cards for us (we just get ‘em off the stack in the crew room, I keep a couple in my bag) vs having to provide our own scratch paper. I was kinda surprised that mainline doesn’t do what we do.
The 73 fleet has pads of pre-printed forms but no one uses them outside of training.

We tip with $5's. Most every hotel has been able to accommodate it.

The 73 fleet has pads of pre-printed forms but no one uses them outside of training.
I’d originally thought that’s how it would be for us but I’ve done one per leg since day 1 of IOE.

For being paperless on everything we still cling to these things….

I thought it was an automatic line check fail if you didn’t have enough stolen hotel pens on you. Obviously I have a lot to learn about 121

$5 also sounds pretty reasonable when it is just you and the other guy, rather than with 4 (or more for some of you) FAs in tow who are theoretically dropping dollars too. I normally keep a couple with me just in case of superior service or if i have to solo it somewhere. I was used to using $5’s when on business trips, taking airport shuttle/parking shuttle, but then i got to the airlines and saw how cheap CA’s are and decided “well I can’t be less cheap” :)

I will say I still brief in the WANT method. I never used that • WARTS/NATS stuff. No thanks, overly complicated for no reason. But positive side is no one really cares anyways.
Yellow had just gone to threats-plan-contingencies which is such a better way because, well, my attention span is pretty darn limited, it turns out, and I actually do know how to get into and out of JFK and ATL...

One of my principal sources of amusement was watching the wUNDerkinds dutifully fill out all of the form then, after they flipped the airport around before pushback tear it off and scribble a new one with just the flight number, minto, and release fuel. Was always fun watching them fret over not having a fully filled out TOLD card on departure. No, I don’t need you to transcribe the ATIS for me, I can read it off the FMC just fine.
They wanted to redesign the EMB-120 TOLD cards to look like the CRJ ones not long after I finished my first year on that airplane.

We actually wrote our [expletive] takeoff data on the card on that airplane, and fortunately, what's-his-name was dissuaded from ruining THAT particular job aid.

Wasn’t too thrilled in Captain Charm School being told with excitement about how “threat forward“ is coming and how wonderful it is.
Done right it's a lot better.

Back