Technique Only…

I feel like i need to operate this flight. Never will though :(

This is one of the reasons why, that even with pay equal to Big 3 NB rates, your place will always have staffing difficulties, as long upgrades and movement to WB flying is happening quickly over at the other places.

As much as the movement at SWA to pay their NB the same as a Big 3 WB is totally wackadoodle... they do have a point in that it would stabilize staffing to some extent.

This is one of the reasons why, that even with pay equal to Big 3 NB rates, your place will always have staffing difficulties, as long upgrades and movement to WB flying is happening quickly over at the other places.

As much as the movement at SWA to pay their NB the same as a Big 3 WB is totally wackadoodle... they do have a point in that it would stabilize staffing to some extent.

Don’t tell the APC crowd that. They said matching legacy 737 pay would fix our staffing problems. Mentioning that we don’t have WBs, no international flying, slow retirements, one fleet, and 5 west-coast bases was lareglet dismissed by “we have culture and uniqueness in our routes!”

Only an idiot would believe that. Bottom line, if I was a newbie starting out in my 20s or 30s, I would look only at the big 3. That is where you find variety, seniority movement, retirements. The planes are the same everywhere and (soon) so will the pay. The differentiating factor will be those items mentioned: seniority movement, retirements, relative seniority, variety of bases, widebodies.

I'm going to move up from $1s to $5s I think. Inflation is a pain, but with what we get paid, I can afford it. Also, international we don't tip (although the FAs started doing it all of the sudden but only in Korea), so there is limited exposure to having to pay.
At the shop mikecweb and I work at, we take turns tipping for both of us. One guy gets in one leg, the other gets it the next leg.

Just curious as I’m not Airbus educated - Does your plane (A330??) have a spot in the FMS to enter multiple alternates?
In theory you could, but we have several company routes which we put in the secondary for terrain boxes. You could make other routes, but that’s a lot of work. I just make fixes for the ETP’s, and update the ETP page on data as we truck along. I just like looking straight down and seeing where we are going. As per the flight plan though, it just puts the furthest alternate.

Yeah, no, I never really wanted to work there and that particular opinion was also never about the goddamn pay either.

Though that’s merely one pilot’s opinion on the topic.

Oh geez. Do you guys also go cow tipping together on layovers?
1696282279803.gif

Heard a SJI guy up on center, on one of those days where it is basically all bad above FL300. He asks about some altitude, they tell him it is rough, and then he gives them the business "we just came down from there because you guys said it would be good here, and it is bad here, SO WHICH IS IT!!!!!??????" (like all right after checking on new freq)

I bet he made friends everywhere

I just say “smooth” for every ride report I’m asked for, just so everyone else can come down and share my little altitude of turbulence and chop hell.

Print everything out and stack it on the center console so it’s easily accessible :) :)

I just say “smooth” for every ride report I’m asked for, just so everyone else can come down and share my little altitude of turbulence and chop hell.

I do the opposite. If i find a smooth ride, I say it is terrible so nobody else gets to have it. The golden rule i learned in the navy is that the only way to get happiness, is to take it from someone else :)

So seeing that @SurferLucas still writes CRAFT in another thread has me thinking. Everyone has their own little technique for their cheat sheet that goes on the yoke clip. I’ll show you mine if you show me yours, figure maybe we can all learn something.

The working logic behind mine is information from the flight plan that I might need to reference quickly and don’t want to dig for.

Flight number, planned and min fuel, ETA at destination/alternate/redispatch, engine failure procedure, MELs and a cliffs notes of required procedures.
NAV LOG... in pencil on paper. Yeah, sure, these days with dillywhoppers and ping-machines, you don't really need one - most days. But... One day you'll thank me.

I make my day, by ruining yours.

Pretty unrelated, but where better to post......as of Friday, I’ve now been in two squadrons that no longer exist. The latest to fall:
https://fox5sandiego.com/news/loca...eactivates-historic-f-a-18-training-squadron/

Makes me sad. I remember long nights spent as 24 hr SDO there, or the worse watch as armed Wing Duty Officer for MAG-11. For the last 13+ years i have received their daily flight schedule, as i somehow failed to remove my email from their distro. It is interesting who all has come back and gone and come back through the years. One of my classmates flew on the very last fly day, and he works at virtual airline with me now. Another, who was a Lt Col (and I think even Maj) when i was there, is now a B.Gen and flew both a chuck and a T-34 that day. I guess it is good to be the MAW CO.

Pretty unrelated, but where better to post......as of Friday, I’ve now been in two squadrons that no longer exist. The latest to fall:
Marine Corps deactivates historic F/A-18 training squadron

Makes me sad. I remember long nights spent as 24 hr SDO there, or the worse watch as armed Wing Duty Officer for MAG-11. For the last 13+ years i have received their daily flight schedule, as i somehow failed to remove my email from their distro. It is interesting who all has come back and gone and come back through the years. One of my classmates flew on the very last fly day, and he works at virtual airline with me now. Another, who was a Lt Col (and I think even Maj) when i was there, is now a B.Gen and flew both a chuck and a T-34 that day. I guess it is good to be the MAW CO.

I can remember many times hanging out on 32nd st at the approach end of RW 21L/R watching Sharpshooter F-4Js and Ss beating up the pattern at Yuma, when they were based there.

Back