Technique Only…

View attachment 74029

Supposedly paperless next year, though I think they said that three years ago so…

But six years after parking the last of these things we finally don’t have to fly like we still have them! Right @ZapBrannigan!
1695923169970.gif

I print the fuel slip and use that. Flight number at very top, Gate and ATIS code, Ramp through Departure freqs (as well as alternate TWR freqs), then MTOW/PTOW, TPR max temp, perf limiting wind (TW+03), Fuel Req'd. For arrival, I flip the paper over, flight number, same thing with freqs in reverse, and then STAR name, bottom of STAR altitude, M/A altitude, LTP, Bingo/divert fuel, arrival gate, Atis code, and ops freq.

We are, for the most part, paperless, and our release format pretty much has everything we need right on the front page and we fill out a manual TOLD card that has fuel, weight, flight number, ATIS, clearance and EFP on it.

That said, I keep a stack of construction-grade (there is such a thing) post-it notes in my flight bag that I use to remind me of things like, "call clearance 5 prior to check release time for flow into IAD" and "Ice Test A" or "call Mx about this when you land" - just stuff outside the normal flow. They're bright-colored and stick well to the edge of the glareshield. Works for me.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of 117 / CCO times to make damn sure we are legal to push.

I print the fuel slip and use that. Flight number at very top, Gate and ATIS code, Ramp through Departure freqs (as well as alternate TWR freqs), then MTOW/PTOW, TPR max temp, perf limiting wind (TW+03), Fuel Req'd. For arrival, I flip the paper over, flight number, same thing with freqs in reverse, and then STAR name, bottom of STAR altitude, M/A altitude, LTP, Bingo/divert fuel, arrival gate, Atis code, and ops freq.

Sheesh. Ya got the lottery numbers for tomorrow in there too somewhere? ;)

So seeing that @SurferLucas still writes CRAFT in another thread has me thinking. Everyone has their own little technique for their cheat sheet that goes on the yoke clip. I’ll show you mine if you show me yours, figure maybe we can all learn something.

The working logic behind mine is information from the flight plan that I might need to reference quickly and don’t want to dig for.

Flight number, planned and min fuel, ETA at destination/alternate/redispatch, engine failure procedure, MELs and a cliffs notes of required procedures.

I'm just lazy, I just write my flight number on the printer paper. Since UPS has more dash 8 more than 4's the box does the engine out sid. And the 4's I just put the ADF for the heading and select the L or R ADF for the turn needed on the EFIS.

Not flying for a while so I don’t have a picture. But I put the flight number in large block letters, rectangle around it.

Then only:

MinReq (so I can reference that quickly before taking runway)

FOA (fuel on arrival, Rmp minus taxi minus burn off)

SOB (souls on board)

That’s it.

I’ve seen YouTube clips of emergencies where ATC asks a crew for Fuel and SOBs and they are not able to answer right away. As a Capt, I make a point to put SOBs on my paper so I don’t have to reference the iPad when push comes to shove.

Summary:

Flight number, MinReq, FOA, SOB

You can put the SOB on the emergency page on the CPDLC equipped airplanes. ATC, Emergency, SOB. It also gives you the fuel remaining in minutes too.

I’ve seen YouTube clips of emergencies where ATC asks a crew for Fuel and SOBs and they are not able to answer right away. As a Capt, I make a point to put SOBs on my paper so I don’t have to reference the iPad when push comes to shove.

Summary:

Flight number, MinReq, FOA, SOB
hazmat type/location usually helpful and often forgotten when the e word comes out

I don't write anything down. We have an app were out release is displayed. You can draw with your finger on it. I can write down the ramp fuel, min fuel, max takeoff with my finger. I also circle the desk the dispatcher working my flight is sitting so I can call if needed and I don't have to look it up. I circle the flight time, takeoff temperature and the wet/dry field condition.

On the Jepp app you can select the runway and gate you are going to. No need to write any of that down. It's easy to visualize the taxi.

CPDLC equipped aircraft have a souls on board function in the emergency page. You can just take the SOB and enter it there during the load close out. I imagine during a stressful situation it would be helpful to just push a button and see the SOB + fuel remaining in minutes.

All the information I need is easily accessible on the gizmo made this century.

On second thought: I do write down my taxi instructions.

The only thing I ever put on the yoke clip is:
• I saw a jumpseater at the gate, and want to make sure we don't leave without them; I remove it if they check in with me, or if they're not there when I do "the walk."
• Weird MEL stuff that has an operational task I need to perform;
• Time / duty / etc constraints that I need to be absolutely sure I don't miss, and:
• Safety alert airport info, such as "HIGH UNSTABLE APPROACH RATE," which I just stick there because I think it's good practice.

99.9982855% of the time, my yoke clip is empty.

There was a thread about this on the company page. The most complicated response was this monstrosity -

View attachment 74039
And this was my response -

View attachment 74040

My issue with 90% of that stuff: its super fluid and it will change, from weather to gates. Nothing will be what you wrote down. If you can still handle that I'm not gonna stop you from a time wasting exercise. Personally I'd rather walk around and get coffee. I do have a big issue with this if the person who wrote everything down can't deal with things when they change.

What I write down is.... nothing :p

I use the spinny dial on the yoke for the last 3 digits of my flight number, I remember the first digit if there is one.

What else do I need?

My issue with 90% of that stuff: its super fluid and it will change, from weather to gates. Nothing will be what you wrote down. If you can still handle that I'm not gonna stop you from a time wasting exercise. Personally I'd rather walk around and get coffee. I do have a big issue with this if the person who wrote everything down can't deal with things when they change.
two words:

Erasable pen.

No, I get it and agree with you. I just love my Pilot Frixion pens. We still fly in the stone ages and have to populate ETAs on every fix on the flight plan based on our off time. The few times I have to do them I can screw them up as much as I want, and nobody will know. I could do it in pencil, but at least I still project the confidence of doing it in pen.

two words:

Erasable pen.

No, I get it and agree with you. I just love my Pilot Frixion pens. We still fly in the stone ages and have to populate ETAs on every fix on the flight plan based on our off time. The few times I have to do them I can screw them up as much as I want, and nobody will know. I could do it in pencil, but at least I still project the confidence of doing it in pen.
Paying for pens is a bold move. I end up leaving a pen in the plane every other leg.

Back