Technique Only…

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
So seeing that @SurferLucas still writes CRAFT in another thread has me thinking. Everyone has their own little technique for their cheat sheet that goes on the yoke clip. I’ll show you mine if you show me yours, figure maybe we can all learn something.

The working logic behind mine is information from the flight plan that I might need to reference quickly and don’t want to dig for.

Flight number, planned and min fuel, ETA at destination/alternate/redispatch, engine failure procedure, MELs and a cliffs notes of required procedures.

Attachments

• IMG_7330.png
    IMG_7330.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 173
Nothing anymore, but flying the jet we always had the trip sheet available. It had frequencies, FBO, times, and passenger names on it.

I print out the clearance and I write the flight number when I'm done with my brief.
No paper on the pedestal.

Attachments

• IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 162
So seeing that @SurferLucas still writes CRAFT in another thread has me thinking. Everyone has their own little technique for their cheat sheet that goes on the yoke clip. I’ll show you mine if you show me yours, figure maybe we can all learn something.

The working logic behind mine is information from the flight plan that I might need to reference quickly and don’t want to dig for.

Flight number, planned and min fuel, ETA at destination/alternate/redispatch, engine failure procedure, MELs and a cliffs notes of required procedures.
I put mine on the side clipboard, not on the yoke; easier to scribble.

Flight number, block fuel, minimum fuel for takeoff, the arrival gate, the ops and the ramp frequencies (because for some reason I can never find them as quickly as I should on the EFB no matter how much I use it), and miscellany.

Flight number (although it's on the F-PLAN page anyway), BLK, MIN fuel, Planned limit weight for takeoff, SOB, and ATIS. But I need a better system because it usually is a disorganized mess of chicken scratch and I'm trying to figure out a new system that works for how we do things at the new shop. Taxi instructions I'll usually scribble them on the jepp chart itself with the pen function which works decently most of the time.

As a reminder, I clip a piece of paper to the yoke when I’m transferring fuel!

Otherwise, paperless for the most part.

Same here, and like @Autothrust Blue said, it’s stuff I don’t want to dig around in. I like having stuff readily available that I know Capt might ask for, based off of notes I took the first 6 months on the line.

Is it overkill, maybe, but I’ve yet to get a hand cramp from it

Not flying for a while so I don’t have a picture. But I put the flight number in large block letters, rectangle around it.

Then only:

MinReq (so I can reference that quickly before taking runway)

FOA (fuel on arrival, Rmp minus taxi minus burn off)

SOB (souls on board)

That’s it.

I’ve seen YouTube clips of emergencies where ATC asks a crew for Fuel and SOBs and they are not able to answer right away. As a Capt, I make a point to put SOBs on my paper so I don’t have to reference the iPad when push comes to shove.

Summary:

Flight number, MinReq, FOA, SOB

Callsign, because now we're doing Giant flying and I don't know who I am anymore.

Min fuel and block fuel. Sometimes even max fuel. There's a lot of times where we are over the max takeoff weight on taxi out.

Engine failure procedure.

Callsign, because now we're doing Giant flying and I don't know who I am anymore.

Min fuel and block fuel. Sometimes even max fuel. There's a lot of times where we are over the max takeoff weight on taxi out.

Engine failure procedure.

PVG and HKG are like that a lot. It's not uncommon to have a 200-300kg window between max weight and min fuel. Weirdly enough (and I'm a color inside the lines guy who won't hesitate to go back for fuel) it almost always works out.

Back