Swayne coming to a 121 near you

Is this really happening in cockpits? I see the APC tough guys threads on that subject but I can't imagine guys in real life lighting up a fire like that, especially at work!

You forget that he flies with guys hired at different company. For us, it would go something like this:

no.jpg

Is this really happening in cockpits? I see the APC tough guys threads on that subject but I can't imagine guys in real life lighting up a fire like that, especially at work!

Generally when one looks into these things, not.

The internet generally amplifies the minority behaviors while ignoring the masses who never do any of this stuff.

“But it’s all I see online!”

Yeah. And either you’re on a site that leans a certain way, or an algorithm placed it in your “feed” because they know it’ll capture your eyeballs and maybe rescue the already failing online advertisement model.

There’s a reason YT still isn’t profitable and added 1/3 more ads without any extra bucks to content creators... that’s not just a YouTube issue. It’s happening industry wide. And pushing their $11/month ad removal product hard. Real hard.

There’s only so many insurance ads to go around before everyone ignores all of them. But “crazy” always keeps the audience that scrolls constantly for doom, glued to their devices.

I’ve noticed that not posting anything political or “sharing” anything political at a certain well known social media site for two years, means the algorithm finally figured out I want very little or none of it. Probably took a year and a half though.

There’s a lot of folks who simply can’t put it down. It’s crack to them to be fed doom and gloom political garbage, and the software engineers and big data will more than happily do so. That’s just what they do in order to eat.

The internet generally amplifies the minority behaviors while ignoring the masses who never do any of this stuff.

Yeah. And either you’re on a site that leans a certain way, or an algorithm placed it in your “feed” because they know it’ll capture your eyeballs and maybe rescue the already failing online advertisement model.

There’s a reason YT still isn’t profitable and added 1/3 more ads without any extra bucks to content creators... that’s not just a YouTube issue. It’s happening industry wide. And pushing their $11/month ad removal product hard. Real hard.

There’s only so many insurance ads to go around before everyone ignores all of them. But “crazy” always keeps the audience that scrolls constantly for doom, glued to their devices.

I’ve noticed that not posting anything political or “sharing” anything political at a certain well known social media site for two years, means the algorithm finally figured out I want very little or none of it. Probably took a year and a half though.

There’s a lot of folks who simply can’t put it down. It’s crack to them to be fed doom and gloom political garbage, and the software engineers and big data will more than happily do so. That’s just what they do in order to eat.
I just deleted the Facebook app from my phone last week. It's disturbing to me how often I'll still from muscle memory pull my phone out and scroll to the same spot where the icon was when I have a few minutes of idle time. Or that I'll still open up the browser on my iphone and just manually punch it in and still go there. Any more than a few seconds of idle time waiting for something else to load I'm pulling up social media for a second and it honestly bothers the hell out of me, but I'm finding it a super hard habit to break. Combine that with the isolation of the pandemic and that being the majority of "social contact" I get these days t's honestly a really scary dependency that these types of social media have created.

Why did you delete it though? I have that app on my phone and it's my last go to when I'm bored. But what is bored? Before smart phone I found other things to do with myself...somehow. It's so annoying when my phone asks me if I liked this or that after I've been there. I totally agree with you it's scary how people interact with their phones. Prior to Covid, walk into a bar, and you'll see a bar full of people looking at their phones. Even I did it. Agree it's a hard habit to break. I think we'd rather look at our phone's than think about interacting. What's with that? I'm totally in the same boat as you so don't feel bad.

Why did you delete it though? I have that app on my phone and it's my last go to when I'm bored. But what is bored? Before smart phone I found other things to do with myself...somehow. It's so annoying when my phone asks me if I liked this or that after I've been there. I totally agree with you it's scary how people interact with their phones. Prior to Covid, walk into a bar, and you'll see a bar full of people looking at their phones. Even I did it. Agree it's a hard habit to break. I think we'd rather look at our phone's than think about interacting. What's with that? I'm totally in the same boat as you so don't feel bad.
I think mostly because the more I learn about the damage Facebook and Zuckerberg do and the more nefarious purposes it's used for the more I absolutely loathe them both on principle, but it's kind of a trap. Covid times make me especially dependent on it, but with the pilot lifestyle even before this my friends were scattered all over the country and it is sometimes nice to see what they're up to, and it's not really practical to "just call" every friend all that often as a replacement. It's unfortunately how much "ugly side" of acquaintances it's brought out to the point there's a handful of people I'd never want to hang out with in person any more over the kind of crap that they use that platform to perpetuate. I think the effect of social media on people's brains is definitely going to make some interesting case studies in the next few decades.
Prior to Covid, walk into a bar, and you'll see a bar full of people looking at their phones. Even I did it.
With you on that one and easily as guilty. Always been on the more introverted/shy side so eating or going to a bar alone always had that kind of awkward feel to it that pulling out a phone provided an escape for.

I just deleted the Facebook app from my phone last week. It's disturbing to me how often I'll still from muscle memory pull my phone out and scroll to the same spot where the icon was when I have a few minutes of idle time. Or that I'll still open up the browser on my iphone and just manually punch it in and still go there. Any more than a few seconds of idle time waiting for something else to load I'm pulling up social media for a second and it honestly bothers the hell out of me, but I'm finding it a super hard habit to break. Combine that with the isolation of the pandemic and that being the majority of "social contact" I get these days t's honestly a really scary dependency that these types of social media have created.

I unfriended everyone on Facebook, effectively burning the ship. The more I've learned about people, the less I want to know.

It's been relaxing.

I mean, my ground school started with a 20 minute discussion of how this would all be over in November, so

Did you watch “social dilemma” and then delete?

Back