Swayne coming to a 121 near you

Well cool. The one time I tried to use all my professional resources at XO it didn’t end well too. So there’s that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As Katy Perry put it, “that was then, and this is now.” ;)

I can’t emphasize this enough: please exhaust (or at least try) the Professional Standards avenue first. Absent a proficiency or safety issue, they are to be your first call on these things at an ALPA carrier.

Of course, that isn’t to say they’re to be the last call, nor are all issues certain to be resolved in that process...but, depending on the terms of your CBA, the Company may actually be required to initially refer these matters to ProStands anyway. (Ours is that way, YMMV)

As Katy Perry put it, “that was then, and this is now.” ;)

I can’t emphasize this enough: please exhaust (or at least try) the Professional Standards avenue first. Absent a proficiency or safety issue, they are to be your first call on these things at an ALPA carrier.

Of course, that isn’t to say they’re to be the last call, nor are all issues certain to be resolved in that process...but, depending on the terms of your CBA, the Company may actually be required to initially refer these matters to ProStands anyway. (Ours is that way, YMMV)
I agree with everything you said. In addition, one thing I caution people about is to not talk about the situation with others. For pro standards to work, confidentiality must be maintained.

@BEEF SUPREME I highly recommend you call your pro stands committee before you consider utilizing HR or an attorney. Worst case, they aren't able to resolve your issue and you can still pursue other options at that point.

I agree with everything you said. In addition, one thing I caution people about is to not talk about the situation with others. For pro standards to work, confidentiality must be maintained.

@BEEF SUPREME I highly recommend you call your pro stands committee before you consider utilizing HR or an attorney. Worst case, they aren't able to resolve your issue and you can still pursue other options at that point.

Well my bad and all but my tolerance for bigots is awfully low lately. The dreary one sided conversation from captains about “the reasons I’m not racist but I don’t like BLM.” That one has been rubbing me the wrong way...

Well my bad and all but my tolerance for bigots is awfully low lately. The dreary one sided conversation from captains about “the reasons I’m not racist but I don’t like BLM.” That one has been rubbing me the wrong way...

bigot
noun
  1. a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

Damn, the phone chrome issues on this forum will chase me away until the next update
Anywho,, if you have a difference of opinion, be an adult and talk
Having Hr on speed dial doesn't make you a human rights fighter, it makes you a pretty pathetic snitch
But that might just be me

bigot
noun
  1. a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

Weird flex but OK...

Bigot | Definition of Bigot by Merriam-Webster

What does it mean to be called a bigot?
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot
I mean call me crazy but I think not wanting to listen to a white guy who makes 300K a year justify how African Americans are treated doesn't really make me a bigot.

I know you don't like me, so maybe you're just trying to twist my words to make me look dumb?

"I know you are but what am I?"
Sorry dude, but if you think not tolerating straight up racist/sexist/homophobic/whatever opinions IN THE WORK PLACE let alone anywhere directed at someone is bigotry I dunno what to tell you. Do better.
Type in "bigot definition" and hit enter
Merriam is like third or fourth in the results, first one is oxford dictionaries, which I quoted.
Want to be able to defend your beliefs? Learn to talk and use logic. Don't think I hear about Zionist conspiracies or Russians dreaming world domination or whatever else? I do and I respond. Zero calls from or about me to prostans so far, and I am pretty effing far removed from "yes sir, totally agree sir", yet pretty sure I was able to clarify a thing or two about some of the conversation topics.

I know you don't like me, so maybe you're just trying to twist my words to make me look dumb?
Factually incorrect. I'm like a mf'n Switzerland- totally neutral to people, events, ideas, beliefs, whatevers until made feel otherwise.

I felt like what you said was douchy due to the broader definition of bigot as quoted from Oxford dictionary. Like "so this kid was like oh yeah, and I'm like that's it, you're done, I'm calling my dad and he's gonna beat you up, you know". Cringe.
Is a dude that associates burnt up cars and buildings with BLM entitled to have an opinion? Damn straight he is. Might be a homophobe while he's at it too. Or even go to a church every sunday. As long as he's causing no harm to those around him, he's no different than a vegan feminist.
He says something you don't agree with, tell him that your opinion differs from his and inquire whether he'd be interested to hear it. Some will just shut up and keep to themselves, some will engage in a discussion. Some of it will be reasonable, some of it won't be.
And that's fine. Not like you'll have to baptize kids together.

Factually incorrect. I'm like a mf'n Switzerland- totally neutral to people, events, ideas, beliefs, whatevers until made feel otherwise.

I felt like what you said was douchy due to the broader definition of bigot as quoted from Oxford dictionary. Like "so this kid was like oh yeah, and I'm like that's it, you're done, I'm calling my dad and he's gonna beat you up, you know". Cringe.
Is a dude that associates burnt up cars and buildings with BLM entitled to have an opinion? Damn straight he is. Might be a homophobe while he's at it too. Or even go to a church every sunday. As long as he's causing no harm to those around him, he's no different than a vegan feminist.
He says something you don't agree with, tell him that your opinion differs from his and inquire whether he'd be interested to hear it. Some will just shut up and keep to themselves, some will engage in a discussion. Some of it will be reasonable, some of it won't be.
And that's fine. Not like you'll have to baptize kids together.
Depending how they wield those opinions it can harm people. I’d consider spouting homophobic BS to coworkers (as an example) to be extremely harmful. Who wants to work with someone like that?

Is this really happening in cockpits? I see the APC tough guys threads on that subject but I can't imagine guys in real life lighting up a fire like that, especially at work!

Is this really happening in cockpits? I see the APC tough guys threads on that subject but I can't imagine guys in real life lighting up a fire like that, especially at work!

I'm not exactly putting off the vibe that I want to talk politics. If someone tries, I bring up how I'm on the board of a 527, have a bill in congress and they get a metric ass ton about mountain biking politics. It's boring AF and bland too. It usually stops things.

Sometimes, it's impossible to stop the avalanche of stupidity. A couple weeks ago a guy asked me where I was from and then said "yeah you're an Inslee voter." What an ass clown. I don't understand how someone can make so much money and hang their ass out there for the snipers. I'm surprised more of these idiots don't get fired on the regular.

I could care less if they do and would give zero •s to move up in seniority if some dumb ass hangs himself. I'm not going to do anything about it but it just blows my mind that people are so stupid.

Back