Swayne coming to a 121 near you

He was awarded the 756 in class. I think he tried to get some strings pulled to get the 777 instead. That would have opened up a costco sized can of worms so they must have denied it. I know several people that were going to get alpa involved to change their fleet if Swayne was given special treatment.

Imagine if he flies with Captain haircut. The world may end.
It was the other way around. He was initially given the 777 and then was able to get the 756. At United you can bid up but not down, but he did it

I’ll never forget when he commuted from UND to Hawaii to fly 8 leg days on the weekend at Mokulele then go back on redeyes to be in class for the week and saying how much he loved it and it was a dream come true. I’m sorry but there’s just no possible way…

I was literally the kid at Colgan that asked Dot if I could make my schedule around classes, rather than the bid system (or whatever we did back in 2004)

I’ll say that in the military (yes, i know, very different process), i saw a number of times where an FNG who didn’t understand the process or their place in the world, would go VFR direct to the top and ask a question such as “i selected Growlers but i really wanted Hornets/Super Hornets, and LTJG XYZ is willing to swap with me...can we do that?”. The answer was always no, but in the end, what was a simple question (that probably shouldn’t have been asked in the first place), became misconstrued through the telephone game into something much worse. I don’t know this kid’s details, so who knows. Does he have a legacy/family member at UAL who could have somehow interjected themself into the process? NH position bidding seems pretty black and white, without any real means of “pulling strings”. The only thing i could think of that would involve any gray area, would be if bid preferences were incorrectly submitted/recorded. Perhaps others have more insight into the process at this shop though.

As for the kid, he seems to have a good attitude, if not maybe a little over the top. He’s had a very fortunate career path, and he seems to at least somewhat understand that. Good for him.

He's a product of timing, not his fault but he broadcasts ideal conditions.

This is kind of a millennial social media Instagram influencer phenomena in general. No one’s life is that good, they portray a fake facade for the likes, follows and monetization. Views likes and subscribers = ads watched = revenue. In a way he’s just the airline pilot equivalent of the hot girl with 5 million followers doing duck face in front of the great pyramids.

That being said, he also seems to have a genuinely good attitude, some humility and grace about his luck and timing, and genuine passion for the industry. As such, I generally enjoy his videos and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. I suspect he comes from privilege and could walk away in the event of a furlough and not suffer the same economic consequences as a lot of us. When your baseline is “I hope I don’t lose my job because I love my job” vs “I hope I don’t lose my job because I’ll be homeless” you tend to live a less stressed, more carefree life. Therefore his perspective may not be “fake” per se, just out of touch with the real world consequences many of his followers may face in other than ideal job market conditions.

TL;DR - I don’t think he’s being purposely disingenuous, and he seems like a really nice guy. But with great power comes great responsibility - and he’s not doing an adequate job telling the other side of the story or explaining the historical context of the lost decade and why the pilot shortage which his career has benefitted so greatly from exists to begin with.

I’ll never forget when he commuted from UND to Hawaii to fly 8 leg days on the weekend at Mokulele then go back on redeyes to be in class for the week and saying how much he loved it and it was a dream come true. I’m sorry but there’s just no possible way…

LOL that sounds miserable. Not to mention unwise from a fatigue standpoint.

This is kind of a millennial social media Instagram influencer phenomena in general. No one’s life is that good, they portray a fake facade for the likes, follows and monetization. Views likes and subscribers = ads watched = revenue. In a way he’s just the airline pilot equivalent of the hot girl with 5 million followers doing duck face in front of the great pyramids.

That being said, he also seems to have a genuinely good attitude, some humility and grace about his luck and timing, and genuine passion for the industry. As such, I generally enjoy his videos and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. I suspect he comes from privilege and could walk away in the event of a furlough and not suffer the same economic consequences as a lot of us. When your baseline is “I hope I don’t lose my job because I love my job” vs “I hope I don’t lose my job because I’ll be homeless” you tend to live a less stressed, more carefree life. Therefore his perspective may not be “fake” per se, just out of touch with the real world consequences many of his followers may face in other than ideal job market conditions.

TL;DR - I don’t think he’s being purposely disingenuous, and he seems like a really nice guy. But with great power comes great responsibility - and he’s not doing an adequate job telling the other side of the story or explaining the historical context of the lost decade and why the pilot shortage which his career has benefitted so greatly from exists to begin with.
agreed, I believe people (pilots) get irked by him is because of nonchalant vibe he gives off of how easy it was to get to a position he's in.

"See I went to an aviation college and 5 years later I'm a WB FO....see it's super easy"

He seems like a nice guy but I feel he will run into the wrong captain and it will be fun to watch..

It was the other way around. He was initially given the 777 and then was able to get the 756. At United you can bid up but not down, but he did it

Like you said, no strings were pulled - everything that he did was available to all United pilots (8-D-1-c). He was fortunate that a vacancy was open when he started class, but closed before his fleet training was scheduled to begin - thus he had no equipment freeze and could bid anything his seniority could hold.

I have also had very good timing, and have not flown with one captain who was anything but excited for my career's trajectory. Show up humble, ready to learn, while knowing what you are supposed to know - and captains will help you with anything here. From what I know, Swayne epitomizes those ethos and I wish him all the best!

Sadly, the lost decade is something that won't be taught like degregulation or Frank Lorenzo. It certainly has created the slingshot that many people are benefiting from today. Just the other day I met a young regional pilot with 2100TT & only 600 hours multi (575ish at the regional) and they're already scheduled to interview at their #1 choice legacy carrier. I felt like Archie Bunker telling him that he's very fortunate for this climate, because 10-15 years ago he would've still been buying blocks of multi time just to move on from instructing.

That and the other thread about A350 going to new hires in DTW.... what a wild time to be alive.

Its the fact that when that video ended, he wrote “worth it.”

No, that’s not grabbing the true reality of commuting. I did EWR to LAX and it was miserable. I know guys who still do that commute. Or worse.

He seems alright in my book.

Now this Garret d**che. Every video (I could only stand to watch about 3-4) he acts like a teenage girl “hit that button, click like, subscribe!”

He’s truly in it for himself. Too much time with the camera spent on his face and his worldly belongings (like the X5).

I’ll say that in the military (yes, i know, very different process), i saw a number of times where an FNG who didn’t understand the process or their place in the world, would go VFR direct to the top and ask a question such as “i selected Growlers but i really wanted Hornets/Super Hornets, and LTJG XYZ is willing to swap with me...can we do that?”. The answer was always no, but in the end, what was a simple question (that probably shouldn’t have been asked in the first place),

Ironically, I was initially selected for F-15C out of UPT when EF-111 was being phased out and couldn’t be selected. Was able to swap for an A-10 due to another guy in same class but at a different base, who had an A-10 and wanted an F-15C. Our respective flight commanders were former squadron bro’s and made the swap work out.

I felt like Archie Bunker telling him that he's very fortunate for this climate, because 10-15 years ago he would've still been buying blocks of multi time just to move on from instructing.

“Anyone want to get in on some multi-XC hours at Skymates?”

Ironically, I was initially selected for F-15C out of UPT when EF-111 was being phased out and couldn’t be selected. Was able to swap for an A-10 due to another guy in same class but at a different base, who had an A-10 and wanted an F-15C. Our respective flight commanders were former squadron bro’s and made the swap work out.

Nice, and I suppose i cant say it has never happened on our side, but I never saw it happen. IMHO, it should be a thing, if there are consenting parties. It’s not like there is some big quality spread factor involved between variants of the F/A-18. I think that is the part that the old guys hang up on.......like “there’s a reason we gave you S-3’s son”, whereas that really doesn’t exist anymore. That being said, I’d have kept the Eagle you attack puke :p

I think the kid could be an under-the-table brand ambassador to get younger people into flying careers. I don't mind his videos, but I did noticed when he was at Envoy that the dialog seem very scripted, as if someone other than himself might have scripted it. My guess is that someone in marketing there saw one of his earlier vids and approached him with the idea. All in all, he makes any airline he works for look like an amazing place to be. I can absolutely see younger people or kids who come across his channel take an interest in a flying career. Good for him.

I think the kid could be an under-the-table brand ambassador to get younger people into flying careers. I don't mind his videos, but I did noticed when he was at Envoy that the dialog seem very scripted, as if someone other than himself might have scripted it. My guess is that someone in marketing there saw one of his earlier vids and approached him with the idea. All in all, he makes any airline he works for look like an amazing place to be. I can absolutely see younger people or kids who come across his channel take an interest in a flying career. Good for him.
I cant wait for his first "reason why I'm voting no" video.

Or maybe the "reason why I'm becoming a management pilot" video.

I cant wait for his first "reason why I'm voting no" video.

Or maybe the "reason why I'm becoming a management pilot" video.
This guy is definitely going down path of I’m gonna work in offices of an airline. I don’t know him personally but based on his online personality he doesn’t seem like a guy who would stand to picket, be major pro union, or anything of the sorts other than going down a management path.

I’m not saying I think he’d be a scab by any means. But I definitely see him as a front office type. Nothing wrong with it if that’s your jam. Certainly not mine lol

Why isn't there anyone starting a YouTube channel doing the exact opposite of Swayne? I can only watch the Lego guy's Living the Dream for so long and that goofy puppet captain retired apparently. Someone should get on this opportunity. Do an 5-minute video of the top 5 wet wipe brands that work the best for cleaning the chicken and burrito grease off of the displays etc.

Back