Swayne coming to a 121 near you

When our crew room was upstairs, the quiet room was downstairs in what had been a janitors supply closet. It had a couch (that had probably seen do many sloppy hook ups that nobody dared sit on) and two lazy boy chairs. Real estate got expensive in the Dayton Airport, so as a cost savings measure, they moved the crew room into the quiet room, and moved the quiet room out to the hangar.

There was several issues with this. First, the crew room was so small, they couldn't fit a lot of the contractually required items (microwave, coat rack etc) in it. Secondly the "quiet" room was off the mechanic's break room, and shared a (very thin) wall with the woman's rest room. I filed a grievance (that actually went to arbitration... my first experience on the stand) about both issues. In a rare moment of brilliance, I got the city Fire Marshall to come out to the airport (what else was I going to do while sitting around for 10 hours?) and certify the crew room for max occupancy of 3 people, which meant a single crj700 crew couldn't use it to brief.

During the arbitration, we put the fire marshall on the stand and the Company threw a fit. In the end the arbitration (who was actually the singer Bon Iver's father) mandated a bunch of changes to how the room was set up, but didn't go as far to force the company into a new room. We also dragged him over to the quiet room, and had the stenographer (the only female there) go into the bathroom, talk to herself, and repeatedly flush the toilet. The arbitrator found that the room was not quiet, but that the CBA didn't actually say it had to be.

Fun times.
Damn. I did not know it went that far. I had to spend one morning it that room at the hangar and that was more than enough.

The kid makes a great video. He seems pretty cool. But I'm a bit worried that he's not accurately portraying reality. He's had perfect timing. I hope he gets to fly with some old farts that can tell him what a furlough is like or what starting over on a list is like. I just hope the young kids seeing this also see the video of the Skywest guy who quit the biz made a few years ago.

The kid makes a great video. He seems pretty cool. But I'm a bit worried that he's not accurately portraying reality. He's had perfect timing. I hope he gets to fly with some old farts that can tell him what a furlough is like or what starting over on a list is like. I just hope the young kids seeing this also see the video of the Skywest guy who quit the biz made a few years ago.

I’m happy for him. I just hope he realizes that it’s all luck and timing, and not roses and rainbows in this industry. He’s 25 in 2022, I was 25 in 2009 and we all know what the industry looked like that year. I’m not complaining, I’m happy with my career. It’s just that some of his videos come off a little too much on the butterflies and everything is fluffy side.

I honestly hope he and the rest of our next generation of pilots never have to experience furloughs, bankruptcy concessions, etc…
I haven’t met him but he seems to be a positive person, he also doesn’t seem to have a chip on his shoulder about every thing in life that has ever disappointed or angered him and that is pretty damned refreshing!
Of course he isn’t going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but nobody is.

I’m happy for him. I just hope he realizes that it’s all luck and timing, and not roses and rainbows in this industry. He’s 25 in 2022, I was 25 in 2009 and we all know what the industry looked like that year. I’m not complaining, I’m happy with my career. It’s just that some of his videos come off a little too much on the butterflies and everything is fluffy side.
Yeah. He said several times in the video how lucky he was to be on the plane he was and to get the layovers that he did because he had to consolidate. He also mentioned that it would probably be decades before he could hold those trips again on his regular schedule that his seniority allows him to bid.

I’m still confused how he was initially awarded the 777 and ended up being able to bid off for the 756
He was awarded the 756 in class. I think he tried to get some strings pulled to get the 777 instead. That would have opened up a costco sized can of worms so they must have denied it. I know several people that were going to get alpa involved to change their fleet if Swayne was given special treatment.

Imagine if he flies with Captain haircut. The world may end.

He was awarded the 756 in class. I think he tried to get some strings pulled to get the 777 instead. That would have opened up a costco sized can of worms so they must have denied it. I know several people that were going to get alpa involved to change their fleet if Swayne was given special treatment.

That’s interesting. And of course, not at all how he describes it. LOL!

How do strings need to get pulled when it goes junior to new hires, doesn’t it?

He was awarded the 756 in class. I think he tried to get some strings pulled to get the 777 instead.

Nothing like ingratiating yourself to the people who will be your coworkers for the next 35 years on day 3.

glad it’s working out for the guy career-wise, but his stuff just comes off as super fake. see the comment about commuting to Hawaii to sit right seat in a caravan being amazing. Though if he’s being genuine, I admire his attitude.

Nothing like ingratiating yourself to the people who will be your coworkers for the next 35 years on day 3.

glad it’s working out for the guy career-wise, but his stuff just comes off as super fake. see the comment about commuting to Hawaii to sit right seat in a caravan being amazing. Though if he’s being genuine, I admire his attitude.
just imagine if he was a new hire in 2000-01 or 2008 or 2020...videos would have different titles...."how to update resume before a furlough" and "applying for welfare shouldn't be this hard"

He's a product of timing, not his fault but he broadcasts ideal conditions.

Back