Swayne coming to a 121 near you

No airport reserve at AA. 12 hour long call. And Short call, callout time is “promptly available”, Generally acceptable time is 2 hours but can’t contractually hold you to a time.

No airport reserve at AA. 12 hour long call. And Short call, callout time is “promptly available”, Generally acceptable time is 2 hours but can’t contractually hold you to a time.

But correct me if I'm wrong, if you get rescheduled/reassigned while on a trip they can basically do whatever they want with you indefinitely right? Isn't that one of the main complaints right now?

Eagle had no movable days off and sometimes when I moan about it my wife mutters “should have stayed at Eagle then…”
When I was told about AAs regular dfps and golden days and whatnot my reaction was "But whyyyy??"
Eagle's "recovery obligation" is much better too

Back in my PSA days hot reserve was 10 hours at the airport. Started at 5 am or 2pm. I never sat at the airport myself.

As far as AA reserve rules among other things, there is a lot to be desired.

Of course you understand that you are the Union….yeah? See you April 1.

Other than calling out sick sadly I’ll be at work. The irony is lack of flexibility meant I couldn’t drop or trade. Like most things third step is my only option to make it. Carry over from March is what got me.

Please don’t mistake my cynicism for lack of belief in the union. They are the only reason I believe something good may finally happen during my career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As in you physically have to sit at the airport for 10 hrs? :eek:

Yes.

Back in my PSA days hot reserve was 10 hours at the airport. Started at 5 am or 2pm. I never sat at the airport myself.

And back in the day when there was only a 5am to 3pm shift (and when we had to walk uphill in both directions from the parking lot... in the snow... in July) they would pretty frequently check to make sure guys were actually at the airport. I was the most junior captain in DAY for about 4 years and would generally do 3 of my 5 days of reserve each block sitting hot reserve. It sucked.

Here's a bit of shameless self promotion that ties in with DAY HRV. Sleeping Cold – The Gear Monkey

Yes.

And back in the day when there was only a 5am to 3pm shift (and when we had to walk uphill in both directions from the parking lot... in the snow... in July) they would pretty frequently check to make sure guys were actually at the airport. I was the most junior captain in DAY for about 4 years and would generally do 3 of my 5 days of reserve each block sitting hot reserve. It sucked.

Here's a bit of shameless self promotion that ties in with DAY HRV. Sleeping Cold – The Gear Monkey
I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing!

Yes.

Wow. I did not know they did that. I would get assigned 5am hrv every week at the start of my reserve. As far as walking uphill in the snow both ways, that's just some funny stuff. If I remember correctly at one point the hrv room was in the terminal. And then they moved it to the area by the break room at the mx hangar.

Wow. I did not know they did that. I would get assigned 5am hrv every week at the start of my reserve. As far as walking uphill in the snow both ways, that's just some funny stuff. If I remember correctly at one point the hrv room was in the terminal. And then they moved it to the area by the break room at the mx hangar.

When our crew room was upstairs, the quiet room was downstairs in what had been a janitors supply closet. It had a couch (that had probably seen do many sloppy hook ups that nobody dared sit on) and two lazy boy chairs. Real estate got expensive in the Dayton Airport, so as a cost savings measure, they moved the crew room into the quiet room, and moved the quiet room out to the hangar.

There was several issues with this. First, the crew room was so small, they couldn't fit a lot of the contractually required items (microwave, coat rack etc) in it. Secondly the "quiet" room was off the mechanic's break room, and shared a (very thin) wall with the woman's rest room. I filed a grievance (that actually went to arbitration... my first experience on the stand) about both issues. In a rare moment of brilliance, I got the city Fire Marshall to come out to the airport (what else was I going to do while sitting around for 10 hours?) and certify the crew room for max occupancy of 3 people, which meant a single crj700 crew couldn't use it to brief.

During the arbitration, we put the fire marshall on the stand and the Company threw a fit. In the end the arbitration (who was actually the singer Bon Iver's father) mandated a bunch of changes to how the room was set up, but didn't go as far to force the company into a new room. We also dragged him over to the quiet room, and had the stenographer (the only female there) go into the bathroom, talk to herself, and repeatedly flush the toilet. The arbitrator found that the room was not quiet, but that the CBA didn't actually say it had to be.

Fun times.

In the end the arbitration (who was actually the singer Bon Iver's father) mandated a bunch of changes to how the room was set up, but didn't go as far to force the company into a new room. We also dragged him over to the quiet room, and had the stenographer (the only female there) go into the bathroom, talk to herself, and repeatedly flush the toilet. The arbitrator found that the room was not quiet, but that the CBA didn't actually say it had to be.

Fun times.

Someone should have told the arbitrator to be kind!

Back