SWA Jumpseat

I know it sounds crazy, but trust me Kell, once you get used to not doing these kinds of things, you're asses and elbows when you don't have the automation.

Sorta like having to fly green needles when you get a deferred FMS? My FO for two of those legs was a furloughed Champion 727 CA, so he was golden. :)

Although, that was fun doing that in and out of DTW for 3 legs last month. I also tend to hand fly a lot. Makes it easier when you show up to those planes with the AP deferred.

I don't trust the CRJ VNAV much on short descents. It won't capture anyway, but if you're relying on the snowflake for anything less than 5000 ft, you're running a risk of playing catch up.

You would think so, but no. Apparently you aren't familiar with the evolution of the 737 product line. Aren't you supposed to be a proud a.net nerd? ;)

The 737 has been kept in the dark ages for decades while technology on other fleets advanced, because SWA demanded that Boeing keep things standard across the models. So, the overhead panel on the 737-700s that we have is basically identical to the 737-200 panels from a bygone era. Very few things have been automated. My after start flow consists of three switches, since almost everything on the electronic Douglas is automated. The guys on the 737 are throwing switches left and right, though. The VNAV won't intercept a glide path, you have to tune radios, etc... Really, it's old technology. Our guys that have been flying the 717 for years have some difficulty switching over to the 737, because it's a lot more work.
Douglas! Now there is a name from ancient times!
Hey, give me SWA pay, and I'll gladly use all my strength to throw those switches.

I work for a small 135 cargo op which just got a reciprocal "jumpseat" agreement with SWA. The wrinkle is we're not in CASS, and not likely to be any time soon, so we ride in the cabin only. I know enough from long veteran status on the message boards w/r/t ettiquette (ie. Board last, stop by the cockpit and ASK to ride, don't wear your Hell's Angels colors, dig down in your medecine cabinet, find the razor, remember how to use it, thank the crew on the way out if their workload permits, etc etc). What I don't know is how likely one is to get where they're going and back with cabin only status, especially on SWA, as they seem to run a pretty full bus fairly often. What's the best way to check the loads, and how much faith ought one put in them?

Thanks.

Hello... I was wondering how you obtained a jumpseat agreement with SWA as I have been asked to do the same for our company. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Back