Professional Courtesy

Firebird2XC

It's easy to get on the wrong side of human interaction these days in the aviation business, especially with the economy as it is.

We all see it. How do we deal with it?

Preventive maintenance. Grease the gears and make sure things are as they ought to be when you have the time ahead of time, and things will be better down the road.

Here's a personal goof I made recently to illustrate:

I strolled briskly down the terminal in DFW, eager to find out if I had a chance of getting on my nonrev to Chicago. Commuting is difficult, but it's extra difficult due to the popularity of the DFW-ORD direct flights. Seat space is limited, and I spend a lot of time in the jumpseat these days. I have pass priveleges, but spend many a time asking for the fold down spare chair in the flight deck.

As a guest of the Captain on a jumpseat, I'm used to equating not having a seat in the cabin as a point of protocol- you've gotta ask the Skipper's permission, first. You are, after all, a 'guest' in this scenario.

I might also note that in my particular network, the manifest and close-out papers tell you if you have a jumpseater on board.

I didn't get on my Nonrev choice. Scratching my head, I decided to do something I don't normally and give United a shot. I caught the Skylink train to the gate and after showing my credentials was rewarded with a seat assignment.

A seat assignment! Lucky day! Under my Nonrev rules, flying coach to ORD costs me $10. Now I'd get a timely ride to work, AND it was free!

Good times!

I was so overjoyed to get a break on a difficult commute that I strolled right to my seat on the airplane, stowed my gear, and hunkered down to keep my mind occupied for a few hours. I cracked a book on personal finance and fought to stay focused and not let it lull me to sleep.

Somewhere about the point when we were climbing through 10,000 feet, I estimate, a switch flipped in my brain.

"Charlie, you IDIOT!"

Gee, rock star. Aren't you a thoughtful GUEST.

In my enthusiasm for coming aboard, I'd bypassed an important aspect of the Jumpseating process. I'd not even looked in the direction of the Flight Deck.. or the Captain.

Oh crap. My stomach roiled with embarrassment. What a rookie move!
With the gate agent clearing my security approval and assigning me a seat, I'd stupidly blundered right into a real pickle.

Was the Captain up front bemoaning that 'Eagle puke that didn't even say hello?'

My imagination began to run away with itself a little. I imagined him calling his Union Jumpseat Coordinator, who in turn called MY Coordinator... and gee, that's just peachy.

Only one way to make it right, I decided. Own up.

As other passengers ambled off the Airbus on their way to other things in Chicago, I lingered. I asked to speak to the Captain.

I introduced myself, and apologized. I explained that I simply committed a 'serious brain fart', and while I had no idea if he knew I was specifically aboard or not, as a matter of Professional Courtesy it was my obligation to make him aware. It is, after all, a Captain's discretion as to who is aboard the airplane.

I gritted my teeth to get the first layer of my skin scorched off by the reply of a veteran 'mainliner'. Who was this young regional airline punk to pull a gag like this?

Instead, he laughed a little and explained that the manifest doesn't specifically single out jumpseaters seated in the cabin unless you look for it. He also noted that he was a commuter too, and he understood, and thanked me for taking the time to correct my major faux pas.

I thanked him for his understanding, collected my things, and went about my way.

Later on, in level cruise on my first leg of my trip, I had time to reflect on the lesson I could take away from this.

Ultimately, in the present state of the industry, we all find ourselves hard pressed to get things done. The bare minimum requirements of the day to day is sometimes all we can muster.

That Captain could have rightfully had me over a barrel in terms of my oblivious behavior, but was glad to extend me the courtesy of understanding a simple mistake.

In doing so, he went the extra mile for me, even if I hadn't really deserved it.

We can all learn from that. If we all did a little bit to 'pay it forward' like that in our day to day, it all comes back around in the end. I had senior FOs at my first gig show me how to 'clean up and set up' a panel properly as a courtesy to the crew taking the airplane next.

I've learned the benefit of lingering to speak to the crew that's passing you an airplane as they leave for an overnight. Taking a few minutes to discuss any pending maintenance squawks or airframe quirks or the actual weather aloft can make the coming day a little easier.

I've said it before that we're all too often orphans out here and it's up to us to take care of each other.

Bringing a little extra courtesy and thoughtfulness brings that home every time.

As for the root of Professional Courtesy.. Knowing what I know now, I know that I could have gotten away with slipping off the airplane and never so much as acknowledging the Captain.

Personal Accountability goes hand-in-hand with Professional Courtesy.

The standards of personal conduct you bring to your workplace have an immediate effect not only on your own work environment but those around you.

What comes around, goes around.

Just my .02, for what it's worth.

I go up there and introduce myself whether I have a seat in the back or not. Not only is it good courtesy, but it is also a great way to network. I've ran into one FO three or four times in the last month and he remembers me!

I go up there and introduce myself whether I have a seat in the back or not. Not only is it good courtesy, but it is also a great way to network. I've ran into one FO three or four times in the last month and he remembers me!

If you're jumpseating, you'd should ask permission whether you have a seat or not- that was kinda my point. Nonrev is a different story- that's a benefit, and I'm paying a fee.

Popping in to say hello is something I'd do if there was an opportunity, but otherwise unless protocol requires it I'd just assume not bother folks with things to do.

Back