SWA fined for sick leave punishment

Ole Musky has wanted to make x.com a thing for a loooong time.

After his company, x.com, merged with "Confinity," they saw what he was about and said Leave, Nerd.

F1vh8kjWYAAjdtY.jpg

I can't tell you how irritating it is to catch someone's "allergies". Best part is I get sick on my days off.

Anyone sniffling, coughing or sneezing garners the dreaded, but patented, Richman Gaze of Doom(tm).
I'm not sure what that means...

Does it mean you get dexterously crafted "sick days" off when you're not really sick?

I'm not sure what that means...

Does it mean you get dexterously crafted "sick days" off when you're not really sick?
Aren't you the guy who is oftentimes found deriding others for their reading comprehension?

Aren't you the guy who is oftentimes found deriding others for their reading comprehension?
No. Not at all. I'm the guy who mostly -with a few notable exceptions- writes very clear words. Apparently, words that are apprehended and criticized as incendiary and condescending, yet still, they are clear. All I've ever said about folks' reading comprehension is to quote the old cowboy song. "That's YOUR misfortune and none of my own..."

I'm ALSO the guy who is humble enough to ask a ffffffraternal question when he doesn't comprehend something.

Got a problem with that, HEFE?!? Well, Do Ya?

Or do you just take even an honest question as derision and condescension? Again... Well, Do Ya?

I've GOT words for YOU. But I will comport myself with the rules I agreed to when I clicked "I accept". Yeah, ace, I'm the weirdo that actually READS contractual language before signing my name to it.

Yer 'sposed to be one of the Big Daddies 'round here. Two words that fall within the boundaries of contractual obligations: "POUND SAND."

Last edited:
No. Not at all. I'm the guy who mostly -with a few notable exceptions- writes very clear words. Apparently, words that are apprehended and criticized as incendiary and condescending, yet still, they are clear. All I've ever said about folks' reading comprehension is to quote the old cowboy song. "That's YOUR misfortune and none of my own..."

I'm ALSO the guy who is humble enough to ask a ffffffraternal question when he doesn't comprehend something.

Got a problem with that, HEFE?!? Well, Do Ya?

Or do you just take even an honest question as derision and condescension? Again... Well, Do Ya?

I've GOT words for YOU. But I will comport myself with the rules I agreed to when I clicked "I accept". Yeah, ace, I'm the weirdo that actually READS contractual language before signing my name to it.

Yer 'sposed to be one of the Big Daddies 'round here. Two words that fall within the boundaries of contractual obligations: "POUND SAND."

Might want to adjust your set. You're coming in loud and garbled.

lol, some presumptuous, and arguably rashy responses.
Have not been sick, don't have allergies.
It really is that simple.

I suppose I should have skipped the preamble, and simply asked about sick leave accrual
that I wondered about based on it being implied in a earlier thread post.

Yet not being sick and wondering if I was missing a benefit, made the preamble seem necessary.

I would definitely recommend The Infinite Game by Simon Sinek (or really any of his stuff). He’s very idealistic, but his stuff is definitely the antidote to the current paradigm of Capitalism. I am personally against shareholder supremacy, but I still believe in the capitalist model as a whole. Kinda like the way I am still moderately conservative but cannot stand the Republican party.

Sinek is solid people. Got a lot out of his Golden Circle approach to marketing and his 'leaders speak last' concepts in the old career. I feel like he's fighting a rear-guard action in trying to keep some humanity in tech, but if there was ever going to be a patron saint of Sales Engineers (@SteveC ) it would be Sinek.

Good God. As if we didn't have enough to remind us that SWA lost the plot after the departure of their founder, they really outdo themselves. They used to put their employees ahead of customers and certainly ahead of shareholders, and that is a big part of what made them the most profitable airline of all time. They can get their mojo back, but it's not going to be with the current management team.

Same thing happened to Walmart when Sam Walton died. Their reason for existing went fuzzy and got corrupted when the founder died. Now Walmart is a sick, sad shell of their former self. Sure, they turn a profit, but there is definitely a real cost for the money you make when shareholder supremacy takes the reins.

In a way, Walmart and SWA are following a similar story arc. Common goods for the common man. Even the lore of Herb Kelleher and Sam Walton have a very similar flavor. However, whereas Walmart can outrun its problems with massive scale and pliable margins, SWA is in an industry that can't do that.
When I worked there, there was a max exodus of 80s/90s employees at the airport ops level. Even making $30-50/hr doing jobs that start at $18/22/hr, a whole lot of them thought that the direction of the company had changed so much and so quickly post-AirTran that they didn't feel as "secure" anymore finishing their days there. Let alone how they felt about the shift in employee relations and their value to the company. Imagine working as an experienced Southwest ramp lead for decades knowing it was very hard to end up in those shoes and then getting to the point where myself and later several of my ramp tower friends were just hired off the street as their bosses. The managers when I was there were having to attend classes to learn all the corporate speak and profit/performance tracking metrics that the other airlines had been using for years. Long-time managers were irate about the sudden need to track all these metrics 24/7 and write reports about why these suddenly important numbers are off by some small percentage. I took that as a really bad sign honestly. Along with this shift, the bar for new employees has been significantly lowered. Between the established employees leaving and less and less LUVIng folks who before would not have had a shot at Southwest are filling their shoes and creating a growing culture that feels more like a vendor than an airline. Pre-COVID when all ground ops employees got initial DAL HQ training before starting at their station, it was the talk of day at HQ if someone got sent home from training for bad behavior. Fast forward to 2021 and their long-time classy training hotel was fed up with the amount of ratchet ass (you can totally say "ass" on here) BS going on all the time. Fights in the lobby, loud parties and fighting with hotel staff when told to shut up, having melt downs in class and storming off. It became normal, as if they were Swissport or something. A lot of the leadership stuff from HQ to manage/operate as a Southwest leader followed the guise of "we always did things this way, and everyone loved it and it was great. But now all we care about is money. So here is how we do that instead".

And I'm not even going to get into how almost any "whats up" to a pilot who remembered ahoying me led to a rant about how much it sucks to "fly with all these conservatives/liberals" because there was a cultural civil war going on within the company and since I like to laugh at everybody equally, I'd let them rant and laugh my arse off. I hope things are better now. But they don't seem to be since I keep seeing people say "I want to work at Southwest" then they're a ramper in 2 months because it is so easy to get hired there now. Best company I've ever worked for in a lot of ways, and still better than any vendor by far. But damn. Herb would be so pissed.

Last edited:
I want to say it was quote from the book "Hard Landing". When asked about SWA, Bob Crandall said "Southwest? That place runs on Herb Kelleher's BS". Except he didn't say "BS".

But after a lifetime of watching different businesses come and go, I think what Crandall said was extremely accurate for any company like SWA, except that the "BS" takes many different forms, and once removed, things tend to fly apart. Many times, places are run by "force of personality", where individual employees take very small, but collectively very significant, micro-actions to make a place run. They reason they do so is they belief in the cause of whoever is the personality.

The long term issue with those places is generally, their business practices are not sustainable. Very often what makes them different is the collective micro-actions, and once the personality that drives this is removed, those reasons eventually dissipate, and now you're left with an organization that can no longer operate the way it did, and further, has no mechanism in place to update itself to some other set of reliable business plan.

The exception to this rule is generational businesses, ones that are privately held or majority held inside a family. They may or may not be public, but the result is the same, the majority block of shareholders have a bond that transcends solely business. For probably multiple reasons, they somehow manage to keep their crap in a sock over the very, very long term. Cargill is a good example of this, but there are many others.

I expect that when we go to the stars one day, it will be one of those companies that take us there. Probably the real life version of Weylan-Yutani.

It’s almost like that’s an inevitable consequence of the people with the capital calling the shots
And that's why the In-N-Out story is taught in business school. I shouldn't say that, I never went to business school, but if they don't teach that example of a private business they should.

I want to say it was quote from the book "Hard Landing". When asked about SWA, Bob Crandall said "Southwest? That place runs on Herb Kelleher's BS". Except he didn't say "BS".

But after a lifetime of watching different businesses come and go, I think what Crandall said was extremely accurate for any company like SWA, except that the "BS" takes many different forms, and once removed, things tend to fly apart. Many times, places are run by "force of personality", where individual employees take very small, but collectively very significant, micro-actions to make a place run. They reason they do so is they belief in the cause of whoever is the personality.

The long term issue with those places is generally, their business practices are not sustainable. Very often what makes them different is the collective micro-actions, and once the personality that drives this is removed, those reasons eventually dissipate, and now you're left with an organization that can no longer operate the way it did, and further, has no mechanism in place to update itself to some other set of reliable business plan.

The exception to this rule is generational businesses, ones that are privately held or majority held inside a family. They may or may not be public, but the result is the same, the majority block of shareholders have a bond that transcends solely business. For probably multiple reasons, they somehow manage to keep their crap in a sock over the very, very long term. Cargill is a good example of this, but there are many others.

I expect that when we go to the stars one day, it will be one of those companies that take us there. Probably the real life version of Weylan-Yutani.
I’ve had (direct) leaders in this business that I was willing to do more for than, say, someone who was their boss (or boss’s boss) in SGU or FLL. I’ve also had direct management—who didn’t qualify as leaders—for whom quite the opposite was true. But, very much agreed.

Crandall is a bastard, incidentally, but he was hardly ever actually wrong. Indeed, while I doubt I’d enjoy working for him, I applaud his candor and his accuracy if nothing else.

Last edited:
I’ve had (direct) leaders in this business that I was willing to do more for than, say, someone who was their boss (or boss’s boss) in SGU or FLL. I’ve also had direct management—who didn’t qualify as leaders—for whom quite the opposite was true. But, very much agreed.

Crandall is a bastard, incidentally, but he was hardly ever actually wrong. Indeed, while I doubt I’d enjoy working for him, I applaud his candor and his accuracy if nothing else.

Just because someone is an •, doesn’t make them wrong. Heck, just because someone is a screaming lunatic doesn’t make them wrong either, you just need to be more careful vetting their claims.

The bulk of my experience comes from the restaurant business, which outside of franchise/chain operators, are almost exclusively driven by a single personality. They virtually all flame out once that person sells/leaves.

There’s a reason your successful chain operators always have a “paint by numbers” operation. It has to like that for them to survive.

Back