JetBlue shows ill will toward employees who used ‘too many’ sick days, lawsuit claims

Oxman

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ew-york-paid-sick-leave-law-article-1.3016062

The no-frills airline headquartered in Queens is the latest company to get hit by a lawsuit from the city alleging violations of the paid sick leave act.

The Department of Consumer Affairs filed the claim with the Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings against JetBlue on Friday.

DCA had previously filed a similar action against Delta Airlines and has an open investigation into a third airline and a subcontractor for alleged sick leave violations.

The OATH case filed against JetBlue says the company routinely penalized workers for calling in sick and used progressive punishments that could result in termination.

JetBlue is also accused of failing to properly award sick leave days to workers and retaliating against employees who got ill and needed to stay at home. The company also failed to provide employees with a copy of their rights under the law, DCA said.

“When businesses punish their employees for using the paid sick time they deserve, it not only puts the individual’s health at risk, but that of the general public as well,” Mayor de Blasio said, adding that workers should know “we have your back.”

airports-jfk.jpg

There certainly are abuses, but the fact of the matter is we are held to a higher medical standard than most fields, aren't allowed to self medicate just to get through the day, and live an extremely unhealthy lifestyle.
This!!! i'm grateful to have never been questioned when I call in sick. This time of the year is terrible for me with allergies, and they're surprisingly worse since i been living in AZ. This is something I would've expected from a regional.

This!!! i'm grateful to have never been questioned when I call in sick. This time of the year is terrible for me with allergies, and they're surprisingly worse since i been living in AZ. This is something I would've expected from a regional.

Being owned by Delta means everything. VS being owned by AAL, yeah your mom could have just died. You're calling in? Carpet dance.

At least those are the many stories I've read over on the other site, in Envoy thread(s).

Being owned by Delta means everything. VS being owned by AAL, yeah your mom could have just died. You're calling in? Carpet dance.

At least those are the many stories I've read over on the other site, in Envoy thread(s).
Indeed. I work for 9E and my grandma passed away in the middle of a trip. I called my base manager and within minutes, I was taken off my trip, positive spaced home, and given 4 days off and bereavement pay which is min day pay. Dad flies for Delta and was given a week off and flowers from Delta corporate. It was a nice gesture.

While I was at Eagle/envoy my wife's grandfather passed, called up the chief and the answer was "that is not immediate family so there is nothing we can do."

...This time of the year is terrible for me with allergies, and they're surprisingly worse since i been living in AZ. ...

Having lived in ten states over the years, every time I moved, the locals in the new place have said: "We have a lot of allergies around here."

Allergies tend to behave like this: first contact with the allergen sensitizes you, second contact with the same allergen: ka-POW. Most of mine are food allergies, much easier to defeat. Tomato products: I keep a week between pizzas, and I'm pretty safe. Harder to do that with environmental allergies like ragweed. Just don't land at Ragweed Muni?

Compounded by: you can develop new allergies throughout life, and get over others. I've never heard a good explanation for these phenomena.

The OATH case filed against JetBlue says the company routinely penalized workers for calling in sick and used progressive punishments that could result in termination.

Interestingly, the airline I work for just implemented one of these progressive punishment that can lead to termination programs...

There certainly are abuses, but the fact of the matter is we are held to a higher medical standard than most fields, aren't allowed to self medicate just to get through the day, and live an extremely unhealthy lifestyle.

Agreed. But the unhealthy lifestyle is a choice. Workout, drink water, eat healthy, get rest. This job doesn't preclude one from doing that, it just makes it harder.

Now if you're flying international/the middle of the night that's a different story. No sleep is killer.

Back