Southwest Opening Sept.

For those of you who received the final round interview, how long are those interviews going on for? Do they do it all within a week?

Honestly I’m cool with whichever way it goes. This was my first go at their postings and I’ve heard stories about how disorganized Southwest HR is, but now I can confirm it at least.

Having their recruiters interview us that have no idea what the job entails is an automatic disservice to all parties involved.

“Oh well they get so many applicants so they need all the help they can get”

Okay so does Delta, United, and American and yet they seem to have made it easier.

Although I’m giving side eye too Delta. I’m not sure why Delta did an external posting for a position they had no intention of hiring externals for.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, anyone looking to elevate from the regional environment is shooting themselves in the foot if they’re not applying to any and every opening that comes out.

Honestly I’m cool with whichever way it goes. This was my first go at their postings and I’ve heard stories about how disorganized Southwest HR is, but now I can confirm it at least.

Having their recruiters interview us that have no idea what the job entails is an automatic disservice to all parties involved.

“Oh well they get so many applicants so they need all the help they can get”

Okay so does Delta, United, and American and yet they seem to have made it easier.

Although I’m giving side eye too Delta. I’m not sure why Delta did an external posting for a position they had no intention of hiring externals for.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, anyone looking to elevate from the regional environment is shooting themselves in the foot if they’re not applying to any and every opening that comes out.

The problem with the HR interview (2nd part in the process) is the ease for some to ace that portion and receive a final invite because some people are very good BSer's. And then other folks may simply not interview well at all or don't prepare to give solid answers to the STAR based questions. Which leads me to......

The final segment 50 / 50 panel at the end is to gauge whether or not one would be a good fit in the Dispatch office based on many factors. With this round, I project there to be 20-30 candidates more than they need that will ultimately be narrowed down to approx 40 for the class. So let's just say that is 60-70 final candidates to choose from. You would be amazed at how fast that pool gets narrowed down during the process. Then you are left with what you have to proceed with final decisions. Then of course, people change their minds or decide to go elsewhere. Leaving room for potential 2nd bests etc. The last class was due to have 40. They ended up with 38. So in the end, they may reach their ultimate goal or they may not.

I do agree with you. Cast a wide net. Use the process to sharpen interview skills. Keep an open mind. There is absolutely northing wrong with taking this process all the way to the end only to be offered the position and turn it down. The hiring process is just as much as an interview for YOU that it is for THEM.

yeah i found the whole process frustrating and drawn out, mainly due to lack of communication. but from my experience, the HR departments at the other legacies aren’t really any better. it’s all worth it when you finally get that offer. the hardest part about this job is getting in, so for those that have made it to the final round.. good job and good luck! :)

Last edited:

With respect, ya'll have some wild takes. Every major company I have interviewed for in 3 different technical fields (2 within and 1 outside of aviation) has a round where you talk to recruiters. I have little experience dispatching, worked at a 121 for a short period of time but technical skills are the bare minimum and I would argue other soft skills are what made the people I looked up to good at the job. Maybe our experiences are different, but I have found this hiring process to be as good as any large company, maybe even better. I have known what to expect at every step in the process and have received communication in a timely manner. My recruiter told me I would know before November so the fact I haven't received word isn't surprising.

My B. Next time I’ll preface it with “hot take”. 😜.

I’m glad you’ve had recruiters that have been communicative, most people I know that are in the running have not. So the only updates we’ve had has been through what others have posted here on JC.

I may have been slightly exaggeratory. I will say, compared to a few ULCC’s I’ve applied at, Southwest’s HR is leagues ahead.

I guess I’m venting my frustrations with the hiring process in general. I’m seeing people who I consider to be leagues ahead of me in terms of qualifications get ghosted while those with barely a year of experience be offered an interview?

I understand that maybe those super qualified people may not have “wowed” the HR people with their personalities but like….. for them to not even be offered the chance to take a shot at the technical interview seems like a disservice. Vibes only go so far lol.

I’m glad you’ve had recruiters that have been communicative, most people I know that are in the running have not. So the only updates we’ve had has been through what others have posted here on JC.

I may have been slightly exaggeratory. I will say, compared to a few ULCC’s I’ve applied at, Southwest’s HR is leagues ahead.

I guess I’m venting my frustrations with the hiring process in general. I’m seeing people who I consider to be leagues ahead of me in terms of qualifications get ghosted while those with barely a year of experience be offered an interview?

I understand that maybe those super qualified people may not have “wowed” the HR people with their personalities but like….. for them to not even be offered the chance to take a shot at the technical interview seems like a disservice. Vibes only go so far lol.
I've seen this at united. People with under a year experience getting interviews and offers while others with years of experience and a wealth of knowledge with crickets in their emails and phone

It's way more than the knowledge. Are you someone who is going to get along with your co workers and the entire operations center? Are you someone who seems agreeable, easy going and someone they can mold into their ideal dispatcher?

Some people I seen who can never get on a major but have the qualifications, you can kinda tell why they never got picked up. Also, putting yourself on someone's • list will haunt you. You pissed off a dispatcher at your regional that is now on a major carrier, more likely than not, he probably told management, hey don't hire this guy. I heard they ask the floor in American who they should watch out for and I'm sure other major carriers kinda do the same thing

I
Also, putting yourself on someone's • list will haunt you. You pissed off a dispatcher at your regional that is now on a major carrier, more likely than not, he probably told management, hey don't hire this guy. I heard they ask the floor in American who they should watch out for and I'm sure other major carriers kinda do the same thing

Can confirm. Just yesterday I overheard a coworker mention how another DX that left my shop was given the thumbs down to UA HR. Apparently they still will let you go out there to try and test but like, going there when HR and management already will have a preconceived idea is never great for your odds. Reputation goes a long way for sure.

Fair enough to be frustrated, interviewing for a competitive job sucks.

Maybe I have a different perspective and we can agree to disagree, but most "desk jobs" don't require the smartest or most skilled people. Honestly, they could probably offer the job to people who know nothing about dispatch and train them for a few more weeks and get similar results. Probably why most majors value experience at the company more than experience in dispatch.

I've seen this at united. People with under a year experience getting interviews and offers while others with years of experience and a wealth of knowledge with crickets in their emails and phone

It's way more than the knowledge. Are you someone who is going to get along with your co workers and the entire operations center? Are you someone who seems agreeable, easy going and someone they can mold into their ideal dispatcher?

Some people I seen who can never get on a major but have the qualifications, you can kinda tell why they never got picked up. Also, putting yourself on someone's • list will haunt you. You pissed off a dispatcher at your regional that is now on a major carrier, more likely than not, he probably told management, hey don't hire this guy. I heard they ask the floor in American who they should watch out for and I'm sure other major carriers kinda do the same thing

I wish this myth would go away. I've seen all sorts of not so great personalities get hired at majors.

My phone recruiter had IT issues the entire time and said that someone didn't fill out my info correctly so SWA's hr department is indeed messy.

I've seen this in action. Last round of hiring at my carrier, a couple people got wind of someone that they had disliked working with at a previous carrier was applying. They all sent letters of not recommendation and the person was not hired.

I've seen this in action. Last round of hiring at my carrier, a couple people got wind of someone that they had disliked working with at a previous carrier was applying. They all sent letters of not recommendation and the person was not hired.
What was the previous carrier? :oops:

Back