Southwest Opening Sept.

Odd that they're sending those out when they still have another 5 days or so of phone screen appointments left. What did you score on the assessment?
They just sent me a TBNT email after passing the test and doing the first phone/teams interview. What did I say???? :bang:
That's kind of surprising. well, this would normally be another weed-out step so I guess TBNT can happen at this point, but why so soon? Your score was pretty good too. I'm wondering, what DID you say? Regardless though, sorry to hear that. There'll be other chances at SW, so keep your head up.

I think this would be a good time to remind everyone that Southwest has a very particular kind of employee that they’re looking for, and that the test score is only a piece of the puzzle. Which is something I may have to be telling myself as well. I haven’t heard back yet but ya never know. Rumor was that 460 people applied for this position. 180 were offered phone screenings. 80 of those will advance to the technical interview where 40 will be offered the job. I Guess they gotta weed folks out one way or the other. It’s not a job that I’d want to be over personally.

They just sent me a TBNT email after passing the test and doing the first phone/teams interview. What did I say???? :bang:
I know a few guys there who Did the phone interview with one HR person, just didn't jive with them, then tried again the next posting and got a different one and got in. The good news is you nailed the test so next time you take it, you should get through again and then just have to do well with the recruiter. You got a good shot to make it happen one day from what I read.

Unless someone here doesn't like you and wants to never work with you again...

Did you use the SMART interview responses? They are big on that. Also as said above, they want a certain type of personality there.

Last edited:
Did you get a choice for teams or phone? I would personally prefer phone and my invitation also gives me a choice.
No choice. It depends on the person doing the screen, if you have an option pick what works for you. I had a pilot recruiter do mine due to the amount of applicants.

No choice. It depends on the person doing the screen, if you have an option pick what works for you. I had a pilot recruiter do mine due to the amount of applicants.
Thanks. Wow, that's interesting. How do you feel about how it went? From what others on here who have already done the phone screening, including a friend of mine (he did it by phone), I heard it was pretty basic and not too bad. I understand every recruiter is different, but just curious, did they give you any cues (i.e. demeanor, vibes, etc) as to how they felt about you at the end of the interview? Any response from them yet? How many were interviewing you?

Thanks. Wow, that's interesting. How do you feel about how it went? From what others on here who have already done the phone screening, including a friend of mine (he did it by phone), I heard it was pretty basic and not too bad. I understand every recruiter is different, but just curious, did they give you any cues (i.e. demeanor, vibes, etc) as to how they felt about you at the end of the interview? Any response from them yet? How many were interviewing you?
Just a basic hr phone screen. TMAAT questions just getting to know you and why southwest appeals to you. I think it went well but no extra info on where I stand October 23-25 is when they’ll be letting people know if they move on or not

I understand every recruiter is different, but just curious, did they give you any cues (i.e. demeanor, vibes, etc) as to how they felt about you at the end of the interview? Any response from them yet? How many were interviewing you?

If I had to guess, the phone screening is meant to 1.) verify your eligibility for the role. 2.) see if you pass the vibe check. 3.) clarify any questions you may have about the position.

They had recruiters call in from various departments or parts of their operation to help screen applicants. From there, they send their notes and (possibly their recommendation? Idk) to the hiring manager for the role. Ultimately it’ll be their choice to decide whether or not to move you to the next portion.

Just a basic hr phone screen. TMAAT questions just getting to know you and why southwest appeals to you. I think it went well but no extra info on where I stand October 23-25 is when they’ll be letting people know if they move on or not
If I had to guess, the phone screening is meant to 1.) verify your eligibility for the role. 2.) see if you pass the vibe check. 3.) clarify any questions you may have about the position.

They had recruiters call in from various departments or parts of their operation to help screen applicants. From there, they send their notes and (possibly their recommendation? Idk) to the hiring manager for the role. Ultimately it’ll be their choice to decide whether or not to move you to the next portion.
Thanks @8675309 and @Bustedcropdusta. Appreciate the info. My friend also mentioned the TMAAT questions and being prepared with questions for them. His only took about 20 min. Yeah, I think the question about why Southwest appeals to you is key. Wish me luck. Will be on Wed.

Had mine yesterday. I think it went pretty well. But we'll see. Don't want to assume anything. Recruiter told me alot of info about the job, duties, pay and some of the benefits, schedule, training, training timeline, upgrading timeline, etc. She also told me I will be contacted on (not by) October 26 if I will be moving on to the next round. What surprised me was that the final interview will be virtual and that the interview will consist of me having to I complete a manual flight plan. I will be provided with Jepp charts, notams, weather, etc. and it sounded like that will be the interview itself, but she said the recruiter that calls me (if I move on) on Oct. 26 will give me alot more information about it. That seems like a departure from what I heard the past final interviews have consisted of. From what I heard from friends, past final interviews consisted of two parts, the first of which is a panel interview with technical questions (not positive on this first part) and the second of which is an interview with, I want to say, the training manager? (again, not sure, can't remember) and a dispatcher asking dispatch scenario questions. Anyone else who has already done the phone screening get the same info I did? @Bustedcropdusta or @8675309? Or anyone else?

Had mine yesterday. I think it went pretty well. But we'll see. Don't want to assume anything. Recruiter told me alot of info about the job, duties, pay and some of the benefits, schedule, training, training timeline, upgrading timeline, etc. She also told me I will be contacted on (not by) October 26 if I will be moving on to the next round. What surprised me was that the final interview will be virtual and that the interview will consist of me having to I complete a manual flight plan. I will be provided with Jepp charts, notams, weather, etc. and it sounded like that will be the interview itself, but she said the recruiter that calls me (if I move on) on Oct. 26 will give me alot more information about it. That seems like a departure from what I heard the past final interviews have consisted of. From what I heard from friends, past final interviews consisted of two parts, the first of which is a panel interview with technical questions (not positive on this first part) and the second of which is an interview with, I want to say, the training manager? (again, not sure, can't remember) and a dispatcher asking dispatch scenario questions. Anyone else who has already done the phone screening get the same info I did? @Bustedcropdusta or @8675309? Or anyone else?
I was told the final interview is 2 parts. Both 50 mins. First is panel interview with technical questions. second is the flight plan portion. All charts and such will be provided and it is done virtually

I was told the final interview is 2 parts. Both 50 mins. First is panel interview with technical questions. second is the flight plan portion. All charts and such will be provided and it is done virtually
Ok, that makes more sense. From what my recruiter said, it sounded like a manual flight plan will comprise the whole interview. She probably left out the first part of the interview. In the past, it was in person vs virtual I believe. I think the flight plan part is new though, but not sure. I wonder if by manual flight plan she means a whole entire flight plan (like we did in school and it took 2 hours to do) including figuring out enroute fuel burn and performance limitations (max weights) or if she means planning and preparing a flight release like you would do for each flight on the desk, from beginning to end (legality, weather, alt mins, landing mins, notams, fuel planning, etc etc.,) and leaving out the calculations that dispatch software normally takes care of. What do you think?

Ok, that makes more sense. From what my recruiter said, it sounded like a manual flight plan will comprise the whole interview. She probably left out the first part of the interview. In the past, it was in person vs virtual I believe. I think the flight plan part is new though, but not sure. I wonder if by manual flight plan she means a whole entire flight plan (like we did in school and it took 2 hours to do) including figuring out enroute fuel burn and performance limitations or if she means planning and preparing a flight release like you would do for each flight on the desk, from beginning to end (legality, weather, alt mins, landing mins, notams, fuel planning, etc etc.,) and leaving out the calculations that dispatch software normally takes care of. What do you think?
I’m expecting a condensed version of the practical. A to B, given these conditions and scenario. Build the route, probably ask questions along the way about what this means on a chart. Answer some questions about an approach plate. Etc. then probably look it over and ask why you did it what you did. My 2 cents

I’m expecting a condensed version of the practical. A to B, given these conditions and scenario. Build the route, probably ask questions along the way about what this means on a chart. Answer some questions about an approach plate. Etc. then probably look it over and ask why you did it what you did. My 2 cents
I think you're idea sounds about right. Maybe it leaves out having to figure out enroute fuel burn (winds aloft, FF, etc) and performance limits (MTOW, etc.), although they might throw in an MEL with performance restrictions or something.

From the career connections webinar, the person whos over the hiring for this position mentioned that it would be a two part final interview. A 50 minute technical and 50 minute panel. As for what was on it, that wasn't mentioned but from what I've heard from other people, manually building a flight plan and answering questions about charts and approach plates tracks for what would be asked. Seems similar to what UA does on their end. Or so I've been told, ask me after I get back from that interview ;).

If you have to manually build a flight plan, that would be a departure from my semi-recent experience. I believe i was told to expect similar by the recruiter but that isnt what actually happened.

For the technical- There will be probably 40 minutes of dispatch related questions. Theyre going to see how deep your knowledge is. But most importantly they want to hear your actual thought process. If you are uncertain, thats ok especially if you say "well i know x y z so my guess in this situation is---" obviously the more you know, the better, but you can miss a couple if you aren't confidently wrong too much. The last 10 mins was "any questions for us?!" Have questions.

The panel is a lot more of the hr type of thing-- let your personality out. There may be a couple dispatch questions but its more "tell me a time" questions. They may have a couple that are more oriented to you. Like for me i was coming back to 121 so they asked what i missed, and then they asked about what i thought the adjustment would be for me. Then again "any questions for us?!?"... again have questions.

Hope that helps

The panel is a lot more of the hr type of thing-- let your personality out.
Although this is my first go into the hiring process with them. I've heard they're very much a "hire for attitude, train for skill" kind of employer.

i.e. don't be robot in your panel interview haha. I've seen a few people who are very qualified make it there and then get passed up. Nothing against them but I could see where their personality may have gotten in the way or just didn't "wow" them enough. You really gotta sell yourself and shotgun a tall boy of the company Kool-Aid it seems.

Back