Singapore Airlines to cut A380 lease

Business class prices..........

Untitled.png
Isn't business class on an A380 one of the best in the world?

So how come this Singapore route didn't attract the controversy that the Emirates Jfk - Milan did?

Because they are not state funded. The issue wasn't the routes the ME3 want or are flying, it's that they can do it at a loss and their government will cover the loss. Remove that advantage, and there is no issue.

NAI is kinda the same thing. NAI is no Bueno, but NAS is OK. Two parts of the same company, one complies with US/EU laws and open skies, one is trying to circumvent certain laws to operate cheaper.

Note that Singapore has 5 new A380s being delivered next year. That will offset the 5 A380s coming off lease. No gain or loss in A380s for Singapore Airlines.

Singapore also has a habit of retiring or getting rid of aircraft once they reach the age of 10 years old. The 5 A380s coming off lease will be coming off a 10 year lease. So it's not really surprising, and I don't really think it's a sign of a decline for the A380. I'm sure the 5 A380s coming off lease will find new homes quickly.

Somewhere I'm sure... I highly doubt they're going to the desert, and I'm sure the leaser already has plans for them.
The only place these five returned A380's will go is to the shredder. These are the oldest frames in existence that all required extensive rework to be delivered. They are overweight, less efficient and have less performance compared to a more recent build. That is why they are being replaced in the first place.

MAS has been trying to offload their six for the last year or so and no one has bit. Lufthansa canceled their last two along with Air France (2) and Qantas (8). Amedeo ordered 20 to lease out but has not actually firmed a single one because their is no leasing market.

The only carrier that has even remotely mentioned getting additional frames is British, but they only want later build RR powered ones and only for the right price. They said MAS' were still too expensive for them to make any economical sense for BA to acquire.

Isn't Emirates trying to get their hands on as many of these as they possibly can?
No, they are keeping the fleet around 100 planes with their first examples set to be retired starting either in 2017 or 2018. So a large portion of their backlog is to replace older examples just as Singapore chose to do with their first five frames.

Remember people,the A380 was completed in a different fashion compared to every other airliner. Instead of a plane being outfitted after assembly, the cabin furnishings and electronic infrastructure that was chosen by the airlines were built into the plane. To drastically change the configuration of an A380 will cost a very big arm and leg.

Back