Singapore Airlines to cut A380 lease

tcco94

Future GTA VI Pilot
I know this probably won't come as a surprise to many, but do you think the trend will continue? I know many favor the side of hating this jet, but I've always loved watching this airliner.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/singapore-airlines-wont-extend-lease-on-first-airbus-a380-jet-1473838384

"Airbus Group SE’s A380 superjumbo program hit fresh turbulence after Singapore Airlines Ltd.—the aircraft’s first buyer and currently its second-largest customer—said it won’t renew the lease for its first plane.

The lease on the A380 expires in October 2017 and “we have decided not to extend it,” Singapore Airlines said Wednesday.

The decision isn’t a fatal blow for the program, Airbus’s biggest and costliest jet. But it is another symbolic hit for the double-deck aircraft, for which Airbus has struggled to find customers after investing about $15 billion to develop.

Airbus said in July that it would slash production of the A380 to 12 planes a year in 2018 from 27 last year. The backlog of A380s to be delivered has eroded during years of no or few orders.

The A380’s size has become its disadvantage as airlines prefer relatively smaller planes such as the Airbus A350 and rival Boeing Co.’s 787 Dreamliner that can fly nonstop to their ultimate destinations, bypassing large hubs such as London Heathrow and Singapore’s Changi Airport.

Airbus will again start incurring losses building A380 planes at the lower production rate, the plane maker based in Toulouse, France, has said. Last year was the first in which Airbus didn’t lose money on the A380 program since it embarked on developing the superjumbo jet in 2000.

The Singapore flag carrier currently operates 19 of the jets. The first five were taken on a 10-year lease deal. “Decisions will be made on the four others later,” a spokesman for Singapore Airlines said"

I'd say that ETOPS 120 was the death blow to 3 and 4 engine aircraft for pax operations. It just took a bit of time for the MD-11s and 747s to get old enough to retire them.

I think @Murdoughnut is on the right track...in a few years as passenger traffic continues to climb, the number of runways stays the same, and skilled personnel (pilots and mechanics) get more scarce the trend of moving more butts with fewer units will mean that airlines will wish they'd hung on to it (unless of course there's a 2 engine version out by then).

I still stand by my opinion from 2005.

It's too big.

My friend flies a 747-400 for a major carrier which also has 380's. He said the fuel burn is much higher on the 380 than expected. He thinks they won't keep the 380 for that reason.

I think @Murdoughnut is on the right track...in a few years as passenger traffic continues to climb, the number of runways stays the same, and skilled personnel (pilots and mechanics) get more scarce the trend of moving more butts with fewer units will mean that airlines will wish they'd hung on to it (unless of course there's a 2 engine version out by then).
I think the new 777s slated for 2020ish are almost as many seats at the 747.

I had remembered that SFO did some type of reconstruction for the A380 but had never thought about the cost of all major airports doing that. It makes sense that they're struggling to fly these things into other airports and I'm sure could be a big factor for airlines deciding to cut? Why do you think it was unsuccessful in the cargo market? I saw UPS and FedEx cancelled their orders years back.

Quick question...had a friend actually go to Germany from JFK on Singapore. Is this similar to the Emirates Jfk - Milan issue? I never heard of this route before, and was surprised.

Quick question...had a friend actually go to Germany from JFK on Singapore. Is this similar to the Emirates Jfk - Milan issue? I never heard of this route before, and was surprised.

Yes, you can buy a ticket on Singapore from JFK to FRA.

Given the below picture, who would you fly?

Untitled.png
http://s14.postimg.org/qbg9wgy01/Untitled.png

Lol what a gap. Is there something wrong with Singapore Airlines that it's so low? I've heard nothing but great things from flying them on the customer service side...by people who fly them annually.

I just searched a random october day in google.com/flights

I don't know anything specific about the route, except that Singapore uses a 380 to go JFK to FRA continuing service to SIN.

Until a couple months ago I lived right under the final for JFK 31. Used to love watching the 380 fly over. Still marvel at something that was bigger than my apartment building flying overhead.

Are those prices for the same class of service?

Yes, I reconfirmed it. All prices are for economy class. www.google.com/flights and search one way box, JFK - FRA, and then click the sort options and select non-stop only. Throughout the month of October almost every day it seems that ~375ish the lowest one way price for Frankfurt one way, with Singapore being the cheapest.

Back