Silver Airways Saab Lands At Wrong Airport

I'm curious as to the why that justifies being lost operating under part 121... or really ever.
Because its so odd that it happened. Obviously something caused them to make the mistake. If it was their • airmanship so be it but we need to fact gather.

Let's take the Lear tree trimming incident. How many of you would rush to judgement and say they ducked under after initially hearing about the incident. Now look at it.

That's why you investigate. That's why you look out for your fellow pilots.

Trust me I've been the nothing can touch me freight guy before...then I grew up and gained some experience in larger and more professional crew environments. One day a light will hit you guys and rather than calling people incapable and pink slip material you'll say crap that coulda happened to me how do I break the chain when I'm tested.

I'm curious as to the why that justifies being lost operating under part 121... or really ever.

I'm curious how supposed pilots are so quick to cast blame on fellow aviators for being human.

EVERYONE will make a mistake(s) in their career, some mistakes will be big and some small.....it's a matter of learning from the past and improving from those mistakes. As some said earlier, it's the factors that lead to them landing at the wrong airport and how the crew owns up to a mistake, that will determine the outcome.

I think this thread lasted for about eleven pages until we started beating a dead horse. Good game, fellas, good game.

This thread needs less ego and principle-bashing and more useful posts...i.e. stories and lessons learned (like SteveC's story).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stick-n-rudder said:
This thread needs less ego and principle-bashing and more useful posts...i.e. stories and lessons learned (like SteveC's story).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's why I refuse to comment on threads like these. None of us were there. I once had a captain take controls from me. He confused the taxiway with a runway, and turned towards it. They are the same width, and a few degrees off. We were below 1,000 feet, coming up on 500 and I refuse to fight for the controls at that altitude. I kept saying "you're lined up with the taxi way" but did everything else as if it were a normal landing. I would have announced a go around, but around 400 ft he realized what was going on, gave the controls back to me and apologized profusely.

All I know is that had that not happened, I would have made it the best damn taxiway landing I could have, while stating you're landing on a taxiway and "let's go missed".

He was a fairly high timed, and much more experienced guy. I was fresh off IOE. It was night, after a long day of flying, and the last leg. Mistakes can happen to anyone.

Attachments

• image-1848323570.jpg
    image-1848323570.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 132
ATN_Pilot, Seggy

If a pilot pushed through a squall line and incurred damage, in your just safety culture would this be grounds for dismissal?

If so, would the union fight for his job? If yes, why?

l you'll say crap that coulda happened to me how do I break the chain when I'm tested.

I think it's entirely possible that when the full story comes out, I'll say "damn that coulda been me". It's also possible that I'll say "WTF were they thinking?"

What I object to isn't protesting the rush to judgment. I agree that it's too soon to be howling for their heads or jobs or whatever. But I think it's equally crazy to be wildly impugning the integrity, capability, maturity, etc of huggles for simply pointing out the obvious: That landing at the wrong airport is a huge, big, giant screwup. Like, maybe he's the antichrist on other questions, but I fail to see what's so radical about thinking that it's damned peculiar that some dudes landed an airplane at one airport thinking that they were landing it at another airport.

ATN_Pilot, Seggy

If a pilot pushed through a squall line and incurred damage, in your just safety culture would this be grounds for dismissal?

The union will defend a pilot if he unknowingly does something wrong. I don't know what happened to these silver guys but I'm pretty sure they didn't say to themselves, "watch this, the company is gonna freak!" the union will get involved to make sure that every stone is unturned and the pilots as well as the company learns from the mistake.
The point I'm trying to get across is if you do something wrong with the intent to do something wrong then you're toast. If you make an honest mistake then there are ways to learn, grow, and move on.

pullup said:
ATN_Pilot, Seggy

Dismissal would probably depend on his record. If it's a first offense and he displays remorse, then retraining and a suspension might be in order. If it's indicative of a pattern, however, then dismissal could certainly be a possibility.

Think of the union like a public defender's office. Everyone is entitled to a defense. Sometimes you feel dirty defending someone (I once represented someone who ended up being convicted of raping and kidnapping his teenage stepdaughter), but the union has a responsibility to give everyone a defense. In the end, it almost always works out as it should. The times when it doesn't is usually because the company was blatantly incompetent in putting on their case.

ATN_Pilot, Seggy

We have to maintain a certain distance from cells. If you break that rule willfully, you're toast. Union or not.

Think of it like "Pre-paid Legal".

Sent from my TRS-80

REMORSE? WTF? This isn't a court of Law. It's a freaking professional organization. I think you'd agree with me when I say that I genuinely don't understand how 121 works. WTF does "remorse" have to do with it? I don't pay union dues so that when I screw up I can go in front of Judge Judy and be pitied. If I wanted to be on Dancing With The Stars, I'd have been a GD flight attendant. You can fly the airplane to the standard or you can't.

It'll be a cold day in hell when you catch me weeping in public explaining how I should be given another chance because, gosh, life is hard, and it wasn't really my fault I landed at the wrong place because I'm sincerely sorry and golly, I'm only human. I'd rather die in a gutter.

Lesson learned, as long as you unknowingly weld the engines to the nacelle while climbing to 410, take off on the wrong runway, or fail multiple training events you can keep your job. We all know these guys did...o wait.

The knowingly vs unknowingly arguement is one of the dumbest things Ive ever heard. You either hack it or you don't.

What an extremely ignorant statement. I'm actually a little embarrassed for you. The "whys" have EVERYTHING to do with any accident/ incident.

Yeah, you're right about this. Frankly, I was getting frustrated. Quite the contrary, I am curious to see how this happened actually. Identifying the wrong airport, lining up to the wrong runway(I have done this) or a parallel taxi way(hmm, white lights vs blue lights... o_O), these are mistakes, an "oops" if you will. Actually touching pavement where you're not supposed to be is leaving me scratching my head and is by no means an "oops" anymore to me.

Back