Silver Airways Saab Lands At Wrong Airport

What's this grief about a 25 minute leg?

Crap man, we used to to HEF-IAD and full blast. Rkd-aug the same way. If you give yourself a good preflight, then it's no issue.
not 25 mins, 25 miles which is pretty close to that HEF-IAD leg. We typically did pull the power back. Briefing everything on the ground does make the flight go much smoother. Now all that being said, these guys probably got in a hurry in an unfamiliar environment and we all know they made a mistate.

KHEF-KIAD is 14 miles, RKD-AUG is 34, HYA-MVY is 24.

Honestly, on these super short legs, I'd say it's even harder to get lost. There are not many airports to cross on a 25 mile flight, and a lot of the time, those were the easiest legs to do. If you weren't almost 100% ready for the approach before you took off, the CA would certainly be giving you crap about it :)

My grandma riding in the back is more important then your job. That crew obviously isnt capable of operating in the 121 environment, and should be canned. I'm all for second chances, but I remember an RJ killing a whole bunch of people a while back. The system in place where we continue to spoon feed the weak to keep them employed is ridiculous. That system cost us a bunch of lives in Buffalo. Sorry dude, there are certain things you should be fired for, and this is one.
Is it me, or do you mention 3407 in alot of your posts? Not excusing landing at the wrong airport, but pilot error has been around since the begining of aviation an isnt going away. Hell, an experienced crew landed a '75 on a TWY at EWR-far more serious IMO and it could have been prevented by simply tuning and following the loc...

Scary, isn't it? A bunch of accidents waiting to happen. I'm hoping it's just due to a complete lack of experience, rather than macho personalities that won't be humbled over time with some more experience.
You know? Some of the most humble people I know in this industry are also the most experienced. One of the most arrogant "I cay do anything with an airplane" types I've ever met is a 400 hour CFI...:eek: (not dogging on 400 hour CFIs-I'm a 500 hour CFI :D).

Yet I still can find the airport I'm landing at. Maybe they don't teach that lesson at the gulfstream academy. I wonder if you can et your money back?
Ok, so you're better than the 10,000 + hour 757 pilots at CO too then, right? You weren't there, which IMO automatically disqualifies you from talking as if you were there. Note that some of the pilots on here suggesting we be cautious in our wishes and wait until all the facts are out there are also some of the most experienced-you might want to back down and just listen. Your arrogance really amazes me- be careful, that kind of attitude gets people killed in aviation.

You know? Some of the most humble people I know in this industry are also the most experienced. One of the most arrogant "I cay do anything with an airplane" types I've ever met is a 400 hour CFI...:eek: (not dogging on 400 hour CFIs-I'm a 500 hour CFI :D).

Some of the best pilots I know have managed to crash an otherwise working helo, run out of gas, land at the wrong airport, shoot down their own fighter, unintentionally spin, and that's just what comes to mind in a few seconds.

Funny to not hear the lynch mob out for the AF C-17 last month, but the 1900 is the somehow the end of the world. Landing at the wrong field used to be a pretty common thing before RNAV/GPS. It isn't often I screw up, but it certainly does happen. But I am just a 500-hour CFI too, so what do I know :)

Is it me, or do you mention 3407 in alot of your posts? Not excusing landing at the wrong airport, but pilot error has been around since the begining of aviation an isnt going away. Hell, an experienced crew landed a '75 on a TWY at EWR-far more serious IMO and it could have been prevented by simply tuning and following the loc...

No localizer on 29 in Newark.

jhugz, let's hear your thoughts on the EWR 757 circle to land incident that occurred the other night

It sounds as if they lost SA, lost their location, complied with a GPWS and went missed. It's not going to look great, probably going to require some retraining, but much more forgivable IMHO then landing at the wrong airport. They got themselves into a screwed up situation, but also bailed on it, instead of riding it out.

So nearly hitting a bridge full of people and/or running a 757 into a river is less bad than safely landing at the wrong airport.

Right.

I'm not going to hang these guys because that's a nasty circle at night, especially when you're tired. Being that you've never done it before, and don't know how hard EWR is to see at night, maybe you don't really know how easy it is to get lost on that circle. There were probably tons of things that lead up to the situation they were in, but rest assured, this was BAD. Like if the report of somebody in general topics who saw it (and saw them climbing up from BELOW the bridge), or the radar return that said they were at or below 400' at 2.5 miles, then this one was CLOSE.

That being said, it could be me that makes that mistake on my next leg. So instead of talking about how everybody needs to be fired, I'd like to know how we can learn from what they did wrong so that none of us end up in the same situation, because I can very easily see how these guys got into this situation.

Back