Silver Airways Saab Lands At Wrong Airport

So nearly hitting a bridge full of people and/or running a 757 into a river is less bad than safely landing at the wrong airport.

Right.

I'm not going to hang these guys because that's a nasty circle at night, especially when you're tired. Being that you've never done it before, and don't know how hard EWR is to see at night, maybe you don't really know how easy it is to get lost on that circle. There were probably tons of things that lead up to the situation they were in, but rest assured, this was BAD. Like if the report of somebody in general topics who saw it (and saw them climbing up from BELOW the bridge), or the radar return that said they were at or below 400' at 2.5 miles, then this one was CLOSE.

That being said, it could be me that makes that mistake on my next leg. So instead of talking about how everybody needs to be fired, I'd like to know how we can learn from what they did wrong so that none of us end up in the same situation, because I can very easily see how these guys got into this situation.

Hugz isn't aware that Newark doesn't have any taxiway lights, and directional only runway lights? Maybe if he knew that you can't see 29 from until your nearly inside of 5deg from centerline? Or that the papi is on the right side of the runway (non standard side), and angled so that it can only be seen on final?

If you don't know that circle, it's easy to get yourself in trouble quickly, despot the fact that it relatively benign in nature. The constraints of airspace, proximity to the Hudson vfr corridor etc make it a surprisingly sporty approach.

That being said, if they made it to the docks, then they had way overshot final, an situational airport awareness would tell you that you had missed the runway at that point.

The thing that really makes it worse, CAL has a company built rnp approach that flys the circle for you. If its in their database, prudence would dictate using it as a back up.

I'd be interested to find out what happened, but this will likely stay internal.

So nearly hitting a bridge full of people and/or running a 757 into a river is less bad than safely landing at the wrong airport.

Right.

I'm not going to hang these guys because that's a nasty circle at night, especially when you're tired. Being that you've never done it before, and don't know how hard EWR is to see at night, maybe you don't really know how easy it is to get lost on that circle. There were probably tons of things that lead up to the situation they were in, but rest assured, this was BAD. Like if the report of somebody in general topics who saw it (and saw them climbing up from BELOW the bridge), or the radar return that said they were at or below 400' at 2.5 miles, then this one was CLOSE.

That being said, it could be me that makes that mistake on my next leg. So instead of talking about how everybody needs to be fired, I'd like to know how we can learn from what they did wrong so that none of us end up in the same situation, because I can very easily see how these guys got into this situation.

I could land a Beech 18 on one-wheel - Bob Hoover style - with one engine on fire, while smoking a cigarette and getting a handie from Kristen Stewart - at Newark, at night, after the circle-land. I'm just that good.

Hugz isn't aware that Newark doesn't have any taxiway lights, and directional only runway lights? Maybe if he knew that you can't see 29 from until your nearly inside of 5deg from centerline? Or that the papi is on the right side of the runway (non standard side), and angled so that it can only be seen on final?

If you don't know that circle, it's easy to get yourself in trouble quickly, despot the fact that it relatively benign in nature. The constraints of airspace, proximity to the Hudson vfr corridor etc make it a surprisingly sporty approach.

That being said, if they made it to the docks, then they had way overshot final, an situational airport awareness would tell you that you had missed the runway at that point.

The thing that really makes it worse, CAL has a company built rnp approach that flys the circle for you. If its in their database, prudence would dictate using it as a back up.

I'd be interested to find out what happened, but this will likely stay internal.

Interesting. Why is it set up this way? Sounds like typical New Jersey BS! :D

Interesting. Why is it set up this way? Sounds like typical New Jersey BS! :D
couldn't tell you, but was a big part of the reason that CAL (?) or was it delta? Landed on the taxiway next to 29 on the same circle... They aimed for the touchdown zone just to the right of the PAPI as you normally would, but without taxiway lights, they didn't actually see 29.

Just to clarify, I wasn't referencing the recent EWR incident, I was referencing the 757 that landed on a taxiway some time ago.

A bit of Googling yielded a surprising amount of information:

http://www.thirdamendment.com/wrongway.html

It's an impressive list of mistakes. In the grand scheme (and total number of flights) it's a very small, short list. But given the amount of hysterical invective in this thread, I would say it's a significant number anyway.

I could land a Beech 18 on one-wheel - Bob Hoover style - with one engine on fire, while smoking a cigarette and getting a handie from Kristen Stewart - at Newark, at night, after the circle-land. I'm just that good.

So THAT'S why they broke up.

I'm sorry to the Slaab crew I made fun of today at IAD when the controller referenced the pink engines in a taxi instruction for a United jet.

Back