Sierra West Dispatcher Opening

BRUSR_ONE

I'm thinking of applying but am wondering if the pay is going to be enough since it is California. Oakdale, specifically. That is a small town east of Modesto. While it says the pay range is 38-65, I can probably expect the lower end due to experience. Is that area of CA as unaffordable as the rest? Based on a cost of living calculator if I made 36-38 gross it would put me right at the "living wage" line after tax. But apartments are a little higher than here in AZ so I don't know how accurate that is. Does anyone have any experience with them, or in that area?

Even if you think you'll be at that 38k mark it wouldn't hurt to apply. If they really like you and offer you a job you can tell them that after looking in the area that you really need to be at 45k or whatever to live comfortably. Worst they can say is no and at the very least you get some interview experience. If they're range is up to 65k then they are clearly willing to pay up to that much.

After reading the application, it looks like it's a remote job and they just require you to be there for 6-12 months if you have less than 2 years of experience and only 30 days if you have more. You might be able to negotiate something just for the duration of training as well

How do you do all the dispatch functions at home without multiple monitors? Those guys at Southwest NOC have like 6 big monitors...my home computer just has one 23" monitor! Or how does remote work?

How do you do all the dispatch functions at home without multiple monitors? Those guys at Southwest NOC have like 6 big monitors...my home computer just has one 23" monitor! Or how does remote work?

Swa has 5. 1 biggish, 2 medium.. 2 small. Industry leading, As per the contract.

The place i worked at that let us wfh provided you with a laptop and a docking station. You had to provide the monitors (min of 2 but 3 seemed best).. like others have said, its not 121 so youre not using your certificate. Lots of places that means youre flight follower/planner/crew scheduler/hotel planner, fbo booker, etc.

Where i was we planned trips a week or whatever out, then sent day of stuff and monitored and someone else was hotel guy. So a lot closer to "real dispatch" i prefer the 121 life though.

Most computers can be equipped with at least two, and a cheap video card upgrade does 3 or 4. Company I worked at gave us two and three card was installed so I just used a Keyboard, mouse, monitor switch to attach my normal desktop monitor to the system when working. Just a couple of button taps and you can go between both setups easily.

I STRONGLY suggest you go visit Cokedale before you sign on the dotted line... and that's coming from someone who grew up not too far away. It may be in California but it's not really the best part.

I STRONGLY suggest you go visit Cokedale before you sign on the dotted line... and that's coming from someone who grew up not too far away. It may be in California but it's not really the best part.
OP I strongly suggest you heed this advice as you will be required to spend at least a month there before being signed off to work from home. Oakdale is like where Trevor lives in GTA 5.

I would recommend a 121. My 135 experience definitely helped me in the dispatch world but you cannot discount or replicate the experience you get working 121.

I grew up in Turlock not far away from Oakdale... DO NOT MOVE THERE FOR THIS JOB or probably any... this area is not a job creator. My wife refers to my home area as the Iowa of California... And I agree with Bobber 100% try to land a 121... apply everywhere 121; looks like Frontier, PSA, and Republic are all open currently from a cursory glance.

How can anyone in this country live on $15 or even $22 per hour????? Guess paying these pilot bonuses are leaving nothing else for the little people! And that pay is with union representation!! Pathetic
You should remember that most union contracts at the Regionals were negotiated prior to Covid.
The most recent union negotiations have been Allegiant and Frontier.
PSA’s contract is up for renegotiation this year…it’s one to closely watch.

How can anyone in this country live on $15 or even $22 per hour????? Guess paying these pilot bonuses are leaving nothing else for the little people! And that pay is with union representation!! Pathetic
It is pathetic, and it was challenging enough when I did it in 2017-18 prior to the huge surge in COL. Was a real slap in the face going to ALDI and having the hiring board for a stocker listing the same wage we got for dispatching. Hopefully with the current atmosphere we can see some big wins for the regional dispatchers... absolutely no reason to be making the same as an entry associate at a big box....

One challenge of the regionals is keeping union engagement and having a good union leadership... the people you'd most likely want in that position will likely be moving on more quickly.

However I would note that this Sierra West job is paying just about that $15 an hour starting, according to Forbes Modesto is 22% higher COL vs Indianapolis. So comparatively the Republic gig is less bad and would offer better experience building.

Back