Santa Monica to close by July 2018?

Smh. Then the residents will start complaining about the concerts and sporting events being too loud and want those gone. If you intentionally moved near an existing airport you shouldn't be surprised or upset by the noise. You free chose to move there. I hope the FAA denies all their requests...

Surprised that city counsel just hasn't pulled a Meigs type move

Two wrinkles. Three, actually, but the first is that there's the court case that says the airport must stay open until 2023, and then there's the other winding its way through the courts that say SMO must stay open in perpetuity (the original airport grant from the Feds).

The penalties for doing a "Daley Crunch" were significantly increased after Meigs, so I'm fairly sure that isn't an option.

There is also a case about the improper diversion of funds from the airport, but that's a separate issue.

Considering the politics of the local area and the Feds, one wonders why the city just doesn't return the land back to the Feds, and let THEM decide what to do with it. Considering the Administration and the local area probably have the same politics, you'd think that would be the path of least resistance to get what they want.

Unless it isn't really about noise, safety and pollution, but the dollars.

Richman

If it closes and gets turned into a park I hope all of the homeless people around the pier take up residence there. We'll see if they prefer people digging through their garbage at 2 am over a little bit of airplane noise. Sad thing is alot of the "kids at the fence" probably come from families that can afford flight training if they're locals.

Unless it isn't really about noise, safety and pollution, but the dollars.

That's exactly what it is, in my view. People bought low (relative to Southern California prices) because they're near an airport, and now they want to maximize their resale value at the expense of the airport by removing the one impediment to that goal — the airport. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with that.

That's exactly what it is, in my view. People bought low (relative to Southern California prices) because they're near an airport, and now they want to maximize their resale value at the expense of the airport by removing the one impediment to that goal — the airport. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with that.
They will get a lot of money for their property regardless of the airport. Santa Monica has been a desirable place to live for a long time.

If they do close we don't have to stay above 7000 until SMO and then dive and drive. They should probably create a fix over old SMO called "PANSY" at 3000 and speed 140, NOTAM'ed to recommend gear down flaps full and power pax.
1 - Must be fully configured and final approach speed by PANSY.

They will get a lot of money for their property regardless of the airport. Santa Monica has been a desirable place to live for a long time.

Yup. But if they build the low income housing they've proposed, their home values will decrease, significantly. There are plenty of studies out there that show that to be fact. 'Eff'em. Let them have it. You reach a point where the return on investment (fighting to keep it open) isn't worth it anymore.

Yup. But if they build the low income housing they've proposed, their home values will decrease, significantly. There are plenty of studies out there that show that to be fact. 'Eff'em. Let them have it. You reach a point where the return on investment (fighting to keep it open) isn't worth it anymore.
I'm fairly confident they will not build low income housing.

A rumor that this is all about the local election season for Santa Monica politicians trying to get more votes?
Maybe. There were a few politicians a few years back that said they would fight against the expo line light rail. Just this past May Santa Monica is one of the terminus points.

What's that?

hqdefault.jpg

Back