San Martin/St. Maarten

Fins Up

Got two 22 hour layovers there in April. Anybody spend any time there? Nice beaches and a good tiki bar are what I'm looking for. Our hotel is the Sonesta Maho Resort. Any info??

Our hotel is the Sonesta Maho Resort. Any info??

I stayed there a night, it's nice.

Sunset Beach Bar is right across Maho Beach and happy hour is 7PM every night with 50 cent Heineken bottles. Karaoke night is fun too; I forget which day of the week that was. It didn't start to get crowded until around 10PM each of the days I was there.

If you rent a car on one of the layovers there are some great beaches with good snorkeling on the north side of the island. Orient Beach is one.

Thanks for all the info. I live in Maine and it's still mid 20's with snow everywhere. I'm ready for something that's more of the exact opposite.

Don't forget to drive up to the French side of the island and get a view of the nude beach. And, no, you don't have to be nude to take in the view.

Don't forget to drive up to the French side of the island and get a view of the nude beach. And, no, you don't have to be nude to take in the view.

That was the worst part of my trip there. I think its like Orient or Oracal Beach, something with a O. Just imagine a bunch of old, hairy, wrinkley people laying on a beach naked. I thought the French side was very dirty. The Dutch side around the airport was very nice, lots of very good resturants.

Alex.

San Martin/St. Maarten trip report

Just got back from St. Maarten. It didn't suck at all. The Sonesta Maho Resort is really nice. Not quite as nice as the Renaissance in Aruba but I'm not complaining. The Sonesta has a $40 all inclusive deal. It includes lunch, dinner, breakfast, lunch again and all the drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) you can handle. It has two swimming pools, a beach of it's own overlooking the harbor. It's a 5 minute walk from the Sunset Beach Grille.

The Sunset Beach Grille no longer does the $.25 Heinekin. Instead, after 7PM, you get "4 for 1" Presidente Lights. Not the greatest beer in the world and you have to buy all 4 - you can't just get 1 for a dollar. There wasn't much going on Tuesday night. The locals tell me the tourist season is winding down there.

I didn't find the "adult" beach, but the CA did. If you take a left out of the hotel and another left down past the golf course, I guess it's down there. I'll check it out next week when I lay over there again.

I'll have to get some pictures next time.

Re: San Martin/St. Maarten trip report

I didn't find the "adult" beach, but the CA did. I'll check it out next week when I lay over there again.

I'll have to get some pictures next time.

I'm thinking that's illegal, or at least frowned upon.:)

Back