Reading Materials

proxima

I plan on attending an dispatch course hopefully by May. I am debating between AGS and Sheffield. I am only looking to get the best education I can get. Some of the dispatchers that I have talked to highly recommended both schools.

I do work in aviation, I have several years working as an LST and as a commercial fueler. Since this is a dead end job, I want to move up in the aviation ladder. Before I go to school, I want to get ahead of the game and go ahead and start studying some of the materials. I do plan on taking my ADX in mid Jan and I will be using Sheppard Air with that. I know that AGS requires my PP written, but I do want to try and get ahead of the game if I can.

Now, what will be some good reading materials to start looking over? I do have both the PP and ATP Gleim, and Aviation Weather, but what else should I be looking over?

You have the correct mindset, regarding your planning. If you opt for Sheffield, there is no PPL knowledge exam requirement - we feel it is a waste of time. Our FAA Training Course Approval allows a lot of flexibility for us, and we don't require the PPL, due to redundancy or irrelevancy. On my oral, you won't be asked how to do an S-turn while maintaining altitude. Regarding ADX test prep study, once you sign up and pay some form of deposit, any decent school should give you access to a list of 600-700 prime questions to study. Currently, knowing that bank of questions (all of it) will allow you to pass the ADX test. The only thing I caution you about is - don't take some of these ADX test questions and the typically-used generic explanations too seriously. In our new ADX Test Prep app, we point out about 80-100 errors, usually incomplete or incorrect formats, answer choices or phraseology. There are a few errors that could result in a big misconception regarding landing minimums. So while studying, if you notice something that makes no sense or seems outdated, just learn or memorize the answer and move on. You can always inquire about it later. Regarding the Flight Logs - long table-based calculations, which are actually decent questions in general, I've never seen those explained thoroughly, but I've not seen every app or web tutorial. My shortest Flight Log explanation, including pictures, and highlighted figures, with all the theory and calculations, laid out step-by-step, is 39 pages. Again, some people memorize the answers, but these types of flight log questions (particularly fuel, time, and specific range), should actually be understood, as a tune-up for deeper training.

Regarding reading materials, other than ADX-based prep guides, I recommend Aviation Weather (AC), Aviation Weather Services (latest version AC is 'G', I believe), the Aeronautical Information Manual, and Regulations (specifically, FAR Part 121, Subparts T & U.) Don't buy these books - they're online and free in PDF form. Also, you can always ask if your school will refine your studies; i.e. point out or list specifically in some of these references what to focus on or at least what NOT to focus on. Remember though, you will read current material in current references that will not always match what the FAA still tests on.
Good luck.
Eric Morris-President-Sheffield School of Aeronautics (est. 1948)

For what it's worth - I went through Sheffield as well as AGS. There are good things to say about each of them. AGS asks that you get the PP done so you have a basic concept on how an aircraft works. There is nothing else to it. Sheffield's teaching are all based upon memorization of the materials (and there is ALOT of material) that you have to learn and be able to spit it out word for word. Some people think that is good, others don't learn that way. It's really up to you.

The books that AGS sends to you are the FAR/AIM, and the Aviation WX and Services book by Gleim. You use them through school, but turn them in at the end of the course.

I am not sure where you are located but I went to the flight control academy in Tucson, I think it is called Senora Wings Academy. I have worked with some people who went to IFOD and the Jeppsen academy. Contrary to what Mr. Morris states, the publication maybe free but I would suggest getting the FAR/AIM and the FAR/FC books by ASA, you can buy them printed or download the app if you have a tablet or smart phone. They do come in useful once in a while.

Back