Ground school useful for dispatch?

Mike99

I am considering adding ground school & FAA written test to my plan to train for aircraft dispatch and try to land a job. This would be in addition to dedicated ADX training (including passing FAA ADX test). Reason for ground school would be to get a more thorough and solid background in the essentials of aeronautics, flying, and planes themselves (albeit not commercial planes). And, I am just really interested in the content of ground school, and since I cannot become a commercial pilot myself (but wanted to), I find it really fascinating to learn. Would ground school be a useful addition to prepare for an ADX career and would potential employers take note? Thank you.

I took PPL ground school years before attending dispatch school. I never followed through on getting PPL due to costs but I did find that the background of ground school did set me up well for starting into dispatch. Certain fundamentals were already familiar and I felt like I had a better understanding of things. However I don't think most employers will care about having taken it, so it really would come down to personal desire and willingness to spend the money.

If you have the time & money to do so I'd say yes it is very helpful. My previous experience was in aircraft maintenance and I took a ground school class right before I took my dispatch course and thought it me helped out alot.

But, it was also part of my education plan and went towards my degree.

It's a good prerequisite class if you're reasonably able to do so, but not a must do and not required. Don't sweat not taking the course but it can give you a good background/base knowledge going into the DX course.

Go to your local FBO and ask an instructor for a basic intro course into flt planning/weather theory. You might spend 2-3 hours. If you opt to do that, ask for a Ground Instructor vs a CFI, not all FBO/flight schools may have a ground instructor, but if they do, it may be cheaper. Another option is if you have a local college nearby that offers aviation courses, talk to the instructors and see if any would be willing to help you.

Doing some PPL grnd school is a fine idea...for you, but not for the hiring team. Like others above have stated, just get into a regional asap. While there are other "pathways" to dxing at the majors, working a part 121 regional is the surest.
Another path or class I would suggest for resume padding would be any and all meteorology classes!!! If you can predict a storm, that's gonna be much more useful than understanding an acclerated stall when it comes to hiring.
Lastly, I will say that AA mainline has really seen and exploited the value of their Enovy dispatchers. They come in ready to rock and judging from the last 4 classess (2022-2023) Envoy was the preferred regional. Although, due to low staffing issues everywhere, they did hire from most of them.
So, long story short, get your certificate, and get into Envoy...(that's if you want AA mainline).
Sidebar, does anyone know when Envoy will get FlightSleaze? ...uh-uhmm oops..sorry...Flight Keys?

Back