Punta Cana

Fins Up

Anybody layover in Punta Cana, Dom Rep? Never been there. I think it's supposed to be a nice resort town.

I had an overnight there once, about 2 years ago. I got there early afternoon and left the next morning, so not a lot of time. The hotel we stayed at was very nice, but there were also plenty of armed guards around. The country is very poor, so much so that it almost makes you feel bad driving through. Other than that, I couldn't help you out a whole lot, in fact I can't even remember the name of the place we stayed.

I have layovers at SDQ from time to time so I am familiar with driving past the slums and the armed guards. I think PUJ is supposed to be a nicer area though. It's all relative I guess. Thanks anyway.

Not flying for an airline but I've been through there on a ferry trip. Pretty nice if you like to golf, not a tonnn to do there but if you live up North and haven't been to the tropics for awhile it will feel good. Also its a resort town so most there will speak English.

Punta Cana nice resort town? HAHAHAHAHA.. umm no. Yes the actual gated/guarded resort COMPOUNDS are nice, some VERY nice.. I love going there to the resorts, and for super cheap deep sea fishing.. they have extremely cheap all inclusive resorts, very nice, lot of fun.. but going from the airport through the city to the resorts can be an adventure.. Some areas are decent, depends where you go but the resorts I like are more off the beaten path so you go through some pretty rough areas. I get flashbacks from the Blackhawk down movie downtown Mogadishu when i'm in the back of the beat to hell old cabs racing through the streets at crazy speed with no suspension left in the car.. potholes the size of bomb craters, cab driving over curbs, rocks, rubble, off roading it, swerving around people piled 4-5 high on one scooter billowing smoke, old beater pickup trucks filled beyond the limits with people in camo packing machine guns.. Its very third world, very poor.. people living in rusted out lean to's, trash everywhere, HIV rampant.. I have spent a lot of time in other third world country's and this place is really no different.. I havn't died yet.. but I'm VERY aware of my surroundings when outside the compounds and I NEVER go outside the safe areas alone..

Definitely do not leave the safety of your gated resort at night, daytime outside the resorts you are "probably" ok IF you aren't alone.. but not guaranteed. I still highly recommend the place for the resorts.. but just don't be "that" stupid drunk guy who thinks its ok to wander around the streets there at night, it won't end well. When I start to get stupid ideas in my head about venturing out into the night in these places.. passing guards with AK-47's protecting the place I sleep is usually a pretty strong reminder that i'm not following my IMSAFE checklist lol .. Just be smart and its great fun there.. beautiful white sand beaches, clear water, good food, no shortage of topless female European's..

I do know a captain at my company who was cracked over the head with a gun and robbed in broad daylight there several years ago, he was alone, not in a good place.. stupid.. but the same thing happens in Chicago everyday too.. FYI, I usually pay about $30-40 a day for a 5 star all inclusive resort with all you can eat/drink/activities and I pay $50-75 for half day sport-fishing charters with booze/food included (try to find prices like that in the states!)

Its not that bad, all those things can happen in the US too. You think PC is bad you probably should stay clear of Equador or Rio...

Back