Private Pilot

BoeingDrew

I was wondering, when obtaining you Private Pilot's license, do you have to be 17 years old when beginning training or when obtaining the license.

to begin training? NO
to take checkride? YES

I believe...

No you have to be at least 17 by the time you go up on your checkride.
However you only have to be 16 to recieve a rating in a glider, or a ballon.

you must be 17 when obtaining your license. So to take your checkride you have to be at least 17.

Thanks for the responses, when do you guys think it is a good age to begin lessons.
grin.gif

Depends on how much money/time you have.

If you want to draw and out (and have the extra $$), you can start when you're 14 or 15, but you'll have a lot of time where you'll be perfectly proficient to take the checkride, just not able to because of your age.. So build the hours with a CFI (Read= expensive since you won't be able to solo till 16)

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses, when do you guys think it is a good age to begin lessons.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on you I guess. When obtaining your PPL there is a whole lot of stuff to learn, so if you have the time to dedicate to flying, then by all means go for it. I started flying at 17 y/o so I would have my PPL before I went off to college.

Another thing you can do is buy some books (Rod's Private Manual or the big Jepp book) and start studying the material. That way when you start flying you'll have a very good knoledge base already. You can also study for and take the written exam; just don't take it more than 2 years from when you'll be able to take the checkride. How old are you by the way?

In all honesty starting before you're at least 16 is a waste of money from the standpoint of trying to obtain your license. However, if you have the money to spend and are looking for a good time that does have some educational value, go take a few introductory flights and knock yourself out. Maybe try a piper and a cessna to see which one you'd prefer to do your training in when you're old enough to obtain the license.

I began flight lessons when I was 15, about six months away from my 16th birthday. This time frame was absolutely perfect: I completed all the pre-solo requirements and training just as I turned 16 and soloed the following weekend.

Of course, I finished all the private pilot requirements within another six months (and thus, six months shy of the 17th birthday). However, this was no problem, since I intended to add an instrument rating to my license. My instructor allowed me to complete much of the dual instrument before the private checkride, and I finished building the necessary PIC and cross-country time for an instrument rating after receiving my private license.

I guess the time to start really depends on your future flying aspirations as well as funding. My suggestion: find a good instructor who will talk with you and your parents about flight training and layout a plan that is tailored to fit your desires. Then he/she will not only understand your immediate goals but will also be able to prepare you for future challenges and training requirements.

-------------------------------------------------------

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." --- Leonardo da Vinci

[ QUOTE ]
I began flight lessons when I was 15, about six months away from my 16th birthday. This time frame was absolutely perfect: I completed all the pre-solo requirements and training just as I turned 16 and soloed the following weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats exactly what I did. I'd say 16ish is a good time to start. Or you could start by flying gliders...I think that'd be a blast, I wanna try it sometime!

One thing I will add is that studying and getting ahead of the knowledge game will improve your confidence, and make you a better pilot, allowing you to get the most out of your training... Im starting to study for my instrument even though I have not yet finished my private (which should be soon) so ill be ahead of the game and not waste too much time/money going over stuff in the air that I can learn for free on the ground.

Back