Postal Service chooses UPS over FedEx.

It’s a good question. Just hard to quantify. I’m 40. Young enough to leave purple. I’m also a widebody captain with 40% below me. I also hope to be retired well before 65. Everyone is different.

This is a great place to be. I'll retire well less senior than you will, with the same plan (59 is mine specifically), but I hope you guys all find that purple is in fact a great career, in the end, the only time you actually know for sure.

There are always those people.

When SouthernJets was having a challenging time, there was a user who would come to the forum simply to troll me. I wonder where that moron is today?
Was the challenging time at SJI from 1pm-3:30pm on a Wednesday a decade ago?

Was the challenging time at SJI from 1pm-3:30pm on a Wednesday a decade ago?

9/11
Pay cut #1
Bankruptcy
Loss of pension
Pay cut #2
Hostile takeover attempt by Doug Parker and USAirways
Merger (which wasn’t that bad actually)
COVID

I remind folks that I wasn’t always a 350 LCP. There was a lot of time on the bottom of the list as a Mad Dog FO with a stack of “So you want to go into IT because your airline went away” books and “Well, we can move to Switzerland and take that job with Sunrise, but man, I dunno” going on.

9/11
Pay cut #1
Bankruptcy
Loss of pension
Pay cut #2
COVID

I remind folks that I wasn’t always a 350 LCP. There was a lot of time on the bottom of the list as a Mad Dog FO with a stack of “So you want to go into IT because your airline went away” books and “Well, we can move to Switzerland and take that job with Sunrise, but man, I dunno” going on.
“Everywhere” was terrible then. I just can’t believe someone would troll you on it, as everywhere was in dire condition. I’m joking of course, but it does seem that the Sun has been shinning a lot brighter, and for longer than anywhere else in the last 20 years.

“Everywhere” was terrible then. I just can’t believe someone would troll you on it, as everywhere was in dire condition. I’m joking of course, but it does seem that the Sun has been shinning a lot brighter, and for longer than anywhere else in the last 20 years.

Fanboys of airlines are so weird. Most of us just went to the place that asked and have a very minuscule effect on whether the company is successful or not. Good natured ribbing is fun, but actually thinking your airline is superior because you’re part of it is dumb. Every airline has ups and downs over the years. Just strap in (or on if you’re into that) and keep yourself well rounded so you aren’t absolutely destroyed when things get tough.

Fanboys of airlines are so weird. Most of us just went to the place that asked and have a very minuscule effect on whether the company is successful or not. Good natured ribbing is fun, but actually thinking your airline is superior because you’re part of it is dumb. Every airline has ups and downs over the years. Just strap in (or on if you’re into that) and keep yourself well rounded so you aren’t absolutely destroyed when things get tough.
But I NEED a double breasted(heehee) blazer to be important!

:sarcasm:

It’s even worse when regional pilots do it. I’m not even talking about Dacuj either.

It’s even worse when regional pilots do it. I’m not even talking about Dacuj either.

Every time I am in a primarily regional airline terminal I see them strutting around in the uniform and hope to hell that I didn't look like that. At least they aren't poor like I was.

9/11
Pay cut #1
Bankruptcy
Loss of pension
Pay cut #2
COVID

Sometimes it isn’t a line pilot who stabs you, it’s a MEC Chair of an entire regional airline.

The biggest tool move in the history for a MEC Chair. Holding Delta furloughees hostage in order to obtain relaxed 70 seat scope, SLI withDelta, and all DCI flying to be ASA or Comair.

TO: Comair Pilots
DATE: December 16, 2002

Your MEC met in CVG with the Delta MEC Chairman, Captain Will Buergey, at his request, to discuss preferential hiring of furloughed Delta pilots at Comair. Through this letter, I hope to dispel rumors and provide a more thorough understanding of the purpose and outcome of that meeting.

The Delta MEC, while in session at the bi-annual October Board of Directors meeting in Hollywood, Florida, formally directed the Delta MEC Chairman via resolution to meet with the Comair MEC Chairman to seek preferential hiring for furloughed Delta pilots at Comair while allowing them to retain their Delta seniority.

The general philosophy held by the Comair MEC is:

We are sensitive to the regrettable plight of all furloughed pilots in our industry.

We encourage our management to hire pilots who seek a future at Comair.
We have formally approached Comair management and our management has agreed to preferential hiring of furloughed ALPA pilots.

We agree with our company's policy that requires prospective Comair pilots to resign their seniority at their previous carrier.

We believe our Company's industry-standard policy requiring seniority resignation is sound and wise.
It promotes the general health and welfare of all Comair employees and serves to protect the future of our company.

At our meeting in CVG, Captain Buergey offered preferential hiring to Comair pilots if the Comair MEC would recommend to Comair management that they hire furloughed Delta pilots and allow them to retain their Delta seniority.

Your MEC responded that hiring any pilots at Comair who do not resign their seniority at their previous carrier gives rise to numerous substantive concerns. The Delta MEC's offer of (future) preferential hiring at Delta is not sufficiently substantive to overcome those concerns and solicit Comair pilots' support. We suggested three alternative concepts, any one or all of which might lead to a mutually beneficial solution:

Relax the Delta PWA, Section 1, seat restrictions imposed upon Comair and ASA that limit our growth in 70-seat and larger airframes.

Negotiate Delta Brand Scope language with Delta management that defines all Delta flying within the Delta revenue stream to be performed solely by Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots.

Negotiate a plan for future integration of our Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots seniority lists that fairly recognizes the efforts and contributions of all.

The Comair MEC stands ready to work with the collective MEC's to bring about change that makes sense in a challenging economic environment and works for all pilots who perform flying under the Delta brand. As we stated in the Tuesday, December 3rd meeting, our door is still open.

COMAIR MEC
AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL
SUITE 120 3940 OLYMPIC BOULEVARD ERLANGER, KY 41018

They just gave the top 300 a years pay to retire cause they were overstaffed. Now they are hiring. I guess getting rid of some guys off the top and making room at the bottom makes sense.
I'm betting they still saved a bunch of money by offering the VTP to those folks. It was a smart move by the company vs. furloughing. I'm curious as to how much they saved.

I haven't had the same "fun" watching and listening to my coworkers melt down over it. People are scared. Families will be affected. The trajectory of this company is very concerning.
I was thinking the same, watching people worry about the trajectory of their career or job isn't fun. I'm at Brown at the bottom 75% and while it was good to hear about the news I'm more so intrigued about what will happen to my base. That's pretty much it for me. A lot of my co workers are excited and I won't take that away from them but I don't share the same excitement knowing that someone is on the losing side of that contract. I've been there before. Having your job evaporate because said entity decided not to renew their contract isn't fun. I haven't even gotten into the kool aid drinkers who assume pilots from Purple are going to come crawling to Brown asking for a job and we're the only option they have :rolleyes:.

Everything is cyclical in life. We were a top tier choice for a long time, but now we’re a pilot group that is stuck between a rock (the Co) and a hard place (the union) and our sunshiny Memphis afternoon launches with shrimp cocktail boxed lunches are a thing of the past. I have about 7 years here and I’m going to buckle in for the ride. There are still too many “pros” for me to start applying to other jobs.

I think we’re on the cusp of a sea change industry wide, though. Look at NK— they just announced furloughs. United having problems with the feds. Lots of changes coming our way as airline pilots here soon. I don’t love the new direction we’re going, but I’m hoping you’ll still see Purple tails for a long while.

Everything is cyclical in life. We were a top tier choice for a long time, but now we’re a pilot group that is stuck between a rock (the Co) and a hard place (the union) and our sunshiny Memphis afternoon launches with shrimp cocktail boxed lunches are a thing of the past. I have about 7 years here and I’m going to buckle in for the ride. There are still too many “pros” for me to start applying to other jobs.

I think we’re on the cusp of a sea change industry wide, though. Look at NK— they just announced furloughs. United having problems with the feds. Lots of changes coming our way as airline pilots here soon. I don’t love the new direction we’re going, but I’m hoping you’ll still see Purple tails for a long while.
Like @derg said somewhere on here, “The Churn”

I'm in the bottom 90 at Fedex so I'm certainly not comfortable with everything that is happening and has happened since I got here but I'm not panicking. Yet.

Back