Pilot Evicted from airport

daydreamer

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/08/nj-based_pilot_who_taunted_patriots_fans_with_bann.html

N.J.-based pilot who taunted Patriots with banner says he was evicted from airport

18476263-mmmain.jpg

A banner towed by an airplane over the New England Patriots' practice field reads "Cheaters Look Up!" as it passes the lighting rack above Gillette Stadium during training camp in Foxborough, Mass., Thursday, July 30, 2015. (AP Photo | Charles Krupa)
By Kevin Manahan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Follow on Twitter
on August 04, 2015 at 9:15 PM, updated August 05, 2015 at 9:03 AM
Comments

The New Jersey-based pilot who flew a banner over the New England Patriots' practice last week, mocking the team over Deflategate, said he was angrily kicked out of the local Massachusetts airport as soon he landed.

But Kelley Dinneen, president of King Aviation Mansfield, which manages the airport, said the request was made in jest, although she considered the taunting banner -- which read "Cheaters Look Up!" -- childish and a form of bullying.

JETS: Detailing Brandon Marshall's practice on Tuesday

She added that whoever booked the time at the airport lied about the message Chalmers would be towing. Had she known, she said, she would have denied access to the airfield.

Chalmers, the owner of Jersey Shore Aerial Advertising, said he was paid by a group of New York Jets fans to tow the banner over Gillette Stadium on July 30 as the Patriots worked out.

After flying over the stadium, he landed his plane at Mansfield Municipal Airport and began to pack up the banner for the flight back to New Jersey. That's when a worker approached him and told him to get off the property immediately, Chalmers said.

"He said to me, 'Leave now, and don't come back,'" Chalmers told the Boston Globe. "I thought it was comical. I thought he was joking at first."

But "the guy was mad," Chalmers added.

Dinneen said Chalmers was asked to leave, but not "in a mean way." She said Chalmers had to make way for incoming flights. Still, she said, officials had a right to be angry because someone had lied about the banner.

"We asked him what he was towing. When it was asked, the person on the phone said it wouldn't be anything against the Patriots," she said. "It is a little annoying that we were lied to. If we knew what the banner was ahead of time, we would have said find another airport."

She called the banner — and the Jets fans who paid for it — childish.

Chalmers, while denying anyone lied, said he was only doing a job he was paid to do.

"I'm just an advertising company," he said. "I'm not a sports guy, so I don't really get it when people get so passionate and pissed off. I couldn't be any more neutral."

Every banner I towed was for a strip club, except one wedding proposal. After the flight down the beach, my wife would tell me "You should've seen the rack on that banner..."

WE
I'm pretty sure it's a public airport and she has no right to tell a citizen what can or can not be on a banner . Love me some lawsuit on this.
DON"T NEED ANY MORE IGNORANT LAWSUITS!

I agree though, access should not have been denied at a public airport.

WE

DON"T NEED ANY MORE IGNORANT LAWSUITS!

I agree though, access should not have been denied at a public airport.

Ignorance was not on part of the banner tow, or the guys making the sign. It's on the part of the woman saying "Had I known what was on the banner, I wouldn't have allowed it." Well, then next time I'll be honest about it, collect my check, and make a HUGE scene about it. Because you know, free speech and all.

Ignorance was not on part of the banner tow, or the guys making the sign. It's on the part of the woman saying "Had I known what was on the banner, I wouldn't have allowed it." Well, then next time I'll be honest about it, collect my check, and make a HUGE scene about it. Because you know, free speech and all.
I agree with what you are saying, ignorance was on the part of the woman running the airport.
Regarding the free speech, people take that ammendment to extremes without using their brains. Everyone is for "their rights" but don't realize their rights stop where the next persons begin.

I agree with what you are saying, ignorance was on the part of the woman running the airport.
Regarding the free speech, people take that ammendment to extremes without using their brains. Everyone is for "their rights" but don't realize their rights stop where the next persons begin.

And he was well within his rights to say what he said. She can't tell him "no, that's offensive, leave." Free speach doesn't protect from being offended. Otherwise, lawyers would have a field day on this site.

Back