Four A-10 pilots grounded for low pass over Panthers stadium

Wrong or right, I completely agree that a flyover is a break even sort of event. Anyone who doesn't think their flying is going to be on multiple social media outlets before they even shut down, is out of their mind. I did a static display last month, and within the evening of landing, there was a youtube video of me on approach/landing. More incredibly (to me), was the next day when the airshow staff decided they needed to hook up the tug and push the jet a few feet backwards. On the mil side, such an event is pretty scripted, with wing walkers, a brake rider, a qualified tow driver, etc. As I jumped up into the jet to ride the brakes, I was pretty astounded by the crowd that suddenly surrounded us, all with smart phones out taking pictures/videos. Luckily we were doing things correctly, but the thought did cross my mind that some weirdo somewhere would find a violation of towing regulations or something and report me.

That zero defect mentality really has infected our system and the upper management grew up with the idea that it's the right way to focus punishment/rewards which is unfortunate.

The Navy has gone completely off the deep end with that crap wholesale firing people over what shouldn't be anything more than a discussion between the next level of leadership saying "get a handle and refocus on X, that can't happen in my command."

What's sad is we are facing huge manning issues where we the military are simply not anywhere near the strength people think because we've combined a system where we run key people down to death/burnout on their GAF meters and they leave and combine that with arbitrary draconian punishments where we crush people who could learn and mature and be the next guys in the head office.

It's like when I see a commander outright destroy a career for an alcohol incident that didn't involve drunk driving. That LTC/COL remembers full and well doing carrier landings in his underwear drunk on soju at some bar when he was a young Platoon leader. The bar owner got compensated damages out of the "flower/fridge fund" after the fact and no big deal. Hell he will want you to come back next month. We play hard because come Monday the unit is training to sharpen the spear just as hard. Now days those same commanders are staying sober at hail and farewells or dinning in/outs to see which guys get a little rowdy and crushing them on evaluations or progressions amongst their peers because failing to meet this warrior monk mentality is why we will lose the next war... Not the fact that instead of guys learning how to do war fighting tasks we've got them spending hours on an arbitrary masters degree or doing yet another "don't kill yourself or rape anybody" class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can be warrior monk and still party your ass off. The whole system is poisoned to the core. Even when a good guy wants to go out to revert things back to the way it used to be, he will ultimately get crushed because someone will turn him in and his boss will "lose confidence in his ability to lead". Junior leaders are continually stripped of their ability to make sound judgement because everyone at the front office wants to tell you how to run your show. It is never going to be the way it used to be. Do your time and move on.

You can be warrior monk and still party your ass off.

Tommy Franks coined the "warrior monk" term, and he intended it to convey the (functionally impossible) idea that the American public (as translated through the expectations of political and military leadership) expects military members to be kind, thoughtful, cultural- and gender-sensitive "killers" in wartime, and don't-drink, don't-smoke, don't-curse, don't-have-sex, leaders-of-church-youth-group monks when they are not deployed fighting "wars".

"Partying your ass off" is, without question, not an approved activity for the American warrior monk.

Tommy Franks coined the "warrior monk" term, and he intended it to convey the (functionally impossible) idea that the American public (as translated through the expectations of political and military leadership) expects military members to be kind, thoughtful, cultural- and gender-sensitive "killers" in wartime, and don't-drink, don't-smoke, don't-curse, don't-have-sex, leaders-of-church-youth-group monks when they are not deployed fighting "wars".

"Partying your ass off" is, without question, not an approved activity for the American warrior monk.
Didn't realize Tommy coined it. Thought Mattis did or at least he personified the ethos of the Warrior Monk. You learn something new everyday.

Didn't realize Tommy coined it. Thought Mattis did or at least he personified the ethos of the Warrior Monk. You learn something new everyday.

The Gen Mattis thing is different, yeah -- same term, very different implication since Mattis is a total badass.

If you read Franks' book about the Iraq invasion, that's where he talks about the moronic "warrior monk" concept @Lawman referred to.

The Gen Mattis thing is different, yeah -- same term, very different implication since Mattis is a total badass.

@Lawman referred to.

image.jpeg

If you read Franks' book about the Iraq invasion, that's where he talks about the moronic "warrior monk" concept @Lawman referred to.

I was reading something from a British officer and during the lead up to the Iraq invasion, they were at a planning and intelligence meeting and Frank's started the meeting with the opening scene from the movie Gladiator. The Brit said from that point on he felt sick to his stomach about what was coming.

Combat should make people physically sick. It should be the last, desperate act when logic and diplomacy doesn't work.
Those clamoring for war usually haven't felt that sick feeling.

I may add it to my long list.

To which, Warriors need to fight that war, free from their leashes.

Monks don't fight wars, Warriors do.
Clausewitz is quickly becoming a forgotten name.

It's unfortunate that people fail to understand War/combat is a language. Right now the people we are at war with only speak in a language of hate, terror, and violence.

The key to winning that "argument" is to speak in a voice so loud that your enemy dare not hear it again.

This slow up ratcheting of the volume of violence (embargoes ->sanctions ->selective strikes ->etc) is no different than when a group of people speak louder and louder over each other. It's really unnoticed and prolongs the argument. If however the person knows that an argument where they use words and you respond by caving their skull in with a baseball bat, they are less apt to ever try and use those words again and people watching are the same.

There's a reason the Somali and Milacan pirates stopped hitting Russian ships....

Gen. Mattis is the man. A Marine's Marine to put it lightly.

When all the "Mattis for president" memes came out I was torn.

I've absolutely no doubt he would handle foreign policy and the war on terror effectively.

I'm just not sure the economy or social polarization can be solved by beating it within an inch of its life with a club fashioned from a log with rock tools.

Yut-Yut! Devil Dog! Oorah!

Last edited:
Gen. Mattis is the man. A Marine's Marine to put it lightly.
I have followed General Mattis for sometime now. He is a very intelligent, thoughtful, insightful and obviously experienced warrior. He knows and understands history, economics and politics in regards to nations, conflicts and war, far more than most politicians do. There are some really terrific interviews and videos of him speaking on you tube. These are a couple of my favorites. If he had run for President, my feet could not have carried me fast enough to cast my vote for him.

Last edited:
The Heritage Foundation has many, many great talks about foreign policy. A long list of great speakers.
I've always enjoyed their discussions, lectures and articles about the Constitution, foreign affairs, certain nations, economics, the role of government, etc. I am also a big fan of and a participant of Hillsdale College and their on line courses and lectures over the years.

I think Mattis would best fit as SecDef or SecState. I think he could really straighten out the budget and acquisition process in the military.

Secretary of Education....

Don't act like you wouldn't want to see what happens.

In seriousness him as SECDEF would reaffirm a lot of faith I've lost in my government. For one we'd have a guy that has bled and sacrificed but at the same time doesn't view his service or more importantly the service as some sort of thing to be ashamed of (Kerry).

I don't think he'd do it though, and honestly as long as he has served and as much as he has done he shouldn't feel obligated to do so.

Back