Photo that is too good for a.net

Awesome picture Tim:) What lense do you use, and do you use manual focus?

What's manual focus? :)

Actually for that photo above the technique I use is to use the autofocus and let it lock onto something in the frame. I think for that shot I focused on the shore on the other side there. After I got it to focus I flipped it to manual focus so that when I hit the release (I also used a cable release) it would not try and re-focus and get lost due to lack of lighting. Usually when you have low light conditions autofocus tends to hunt alot and you lose the shot or have a long delay and then an unfocused shot.

Other than this type of photography though, I can't think of another time I ever used manual focus.

Oh yeah, and the lens was that cheapo kit lens that comes with all the Canon DSLRs. 18-55mm.

I think this was shot at 18mm and I had it bulb mode and left the shutter open for about 35-40 seconds even though the plane was long gone after about 5 seconds. Had to leave it open that long to pick up as much light as I could.

What do you think of the Digital Rebel XT and XTi? Or the Nikon versions? I might be in the market for a DSLR soonish.

Absolutely! :)

Actually there's a 100% chance I've flown that airplane.

But only the NYC crews fly the BOS/JFK/DCA shuttle. Almost an entirely different operation.

Aloft,

If you are in the market for a DSLR and already have lenses for either a Canon or a Nikon I would say to stick with that brand.

Now if you are just starting out and could go either way I would go with Canon as I think their cameras are slightly better along with being slightly cheaper too. I just like the image better that you get from a Canon as opposed to a Nikon. It is also fairly apparent that Canon hits the market first and Nikon is constantly chasing them.

I think the 400D is a great buy right now. I was playing around with one the other day and think it is waaaay better than my 300D. The 350D is a great buy right now too as it has a ton of features and now that the new 400D just came out, the 350Ds have just gone down in price.

If I was just starting out in the DSLR world, I would probably go for the 350D and a couple good lenses.

Everyone thinks it is the camera that makes the photo when in reality a good lens is what really makes a great photo. In short, put your money into the glass not the camera. That is why I haven't mentioned the 30D or the 5D.

Oh yeah, and here is a great website for tons of reviews and lots of forums.

www.dpreview.com

Just click on the reviews tab on the left for reviews and the forums are there too.

Almost an entirely different operation.

Hey, at least it isn't one of those "wholly owned" different kind of operations.

I admit, I was all confused the first time I saw the word "shuttle" on the mainline bird. My first thought was "uh oh, its a GoJet thing within Delta".

Nah, the "Shuttle" is a Pan Am acquisition thing. Just flies BOS/LGA/DCA with a different set of rules. Flat rate pricing and a guaranteed seat. If there's no more seats, there's a standby crew with an airplane there. Or something like that.

Most of the 767's went international, the 757's and 737-800's went to long-haul domestic markets and all of that flying was backfilled with MD-88's. No point flying transcon-capable 150 seater on a short eastern seaboard leg when you can fly a much shorter-range MD-88 on it.

What's manual focus? :)

Actually for that photo above the technique I use is to use the autofocus and let it lock onto something in the frame. I think for that shot I focused on the shore on the other side there. After I got it to focus I flipped it to manual focus so that when I hit the release (I also used a cable release) it would not try and re-focus and get lost due to lack of lighting. Usually when you have low light conditions autofocus tends to hunt alot and you lose the shot or have a long delay and then an unfocused shot.

Other than this type of photography though, I can't think of another time I ever used manual focus.

Oh yeah, and the lens was that cheapo kit lens that comes with all the Canon DSLRs. 18-55mm.

I think this was shot at 18mm and I had it bulb mode and left the shutter open for about 35-40 seconds even though the plane was long gone after about 5 seconds. Had to leave it open that long to pick up as much light as I could.
Cool:) I use a 20D, and I notice it hunts alot on low light situations. I will have to give this type of shot a try some time.

Awesome shot as always Tim. Rejections like that is the reason I switched to "the other" photography site. Overall I think its a friendlier group of people over on JP, though you dont get nearly the amount of views.

Put it on a canvas and I'd hang it above my fireplace, incredible picture!

I think they employ monkeys to do the screening at Airliners.net, I've had the same problems with them rejecting my pics!!!

Back