Passengers quote pilot: 'We're going down'

ComplexHiAv8r

SWA pilot hits wrong switch during emergency.

(CNN) - As his plane made a rapid descent to normalize cabin pressure, a Southwest Airlines pilot went on the plane's loudspeaker and apparently told passengers the aircraft was going down.

"At first it sounded like someone was coming over the PA to talk. Then it sounded like shots through the cabin, twice, back to back," passenger Grace Stroud told CNN. "Seconds later, the panicked captain said, 'We're in trouble; we're going down.'"

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/14/travel/southwest-flight-scare/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

As soon as I read, this I came to JC to be entertained and see there is no discussion yet!

Oh well. Probably plenty of conference call activity amongst the SWA lawyers this morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This comment says it best

If a plane is in trouble and you hear "We're going down" and then land safely, maybe thank the pilot for getting you to the ground in one piece, not complain about the miscommunication. It's like suing someone who saved you from choking because you bruised a rib.

I wonder how many lawsuits SWA is gonna see because the flight landed safely.

My money is on a PA from the captain talking about making an emergency descent, maybe throw in some less than perfect phraseology and people heard what they want to hear.

What professional pilot , even if you were actually going to crash, would waste time with a PA telling people so. That's time you should spend trying to fix it.

Humans Lie! Specially ones that sit in the back of an airplane and have reporters coming up to them looking for a sensational comment! You should hear the lies people say when they walk into my shop. Them: "But I called yesterday and spoke to a girl here". Me: Really? Thats weird cuz I was the only one here!" Humans lie to get what they want. Bitch moan complain is the way our society is taught

Humans Lie! Specially ones that sit in the back of an airplane and have reporters coming up to them looking for a sensational comment! You should hear the lies people say when they walk into my shop. Them: "But I called yesterday and spoke to a girl here". Me: Really? Thats weird cuz I was the only one here!" Humans lie to get what they want. Bitch moan complain is the way our society is taught
No kidding. As the owner of a flying club, people always drop my name to get what they want whenever I am not around to defend myself: "Subpilot said I could rent the multiengine for only $50/hr with no checkout."

No kidding. As the owner of a flying club, people always drop my name to get what they want whenever I am not around to defend myself: "Subpilot said I could rent the multiengine for only $50/hr with no checkout."
sweet mother of monkeys don't get me started on some of the shenanigans our customers get up to. I wouldn't last a day doing the job our CSAs do.

You did! Are you going to honor that? :)

My money is on a PA from the captain talking about making an emergency descent, maybe throw in some less than perfect phraseology and people heard what they want to hear.

What professional pilot , even if you were actually going to crash, would waste time with a PA telling people so. That's time you should spend trying to fix it.
This

My ground instructor on the ATR had an awesome story about flying a brutal, turbulent approach during a winter storm in a Mohawk 298 into a slick runway. They get it down and controller wanted to get a plane out quickly after them and asked if they could make a turnoff...to which the instructor accidentally keyed the PA as they were getting blown around on the rollout and announced "We're not gonna make it" to the passengers.

Let me guess, you know inside they're lying and you just want to punch them in the face but you can't. I deal with liars on a daily basis. Employees and customers. All they want is to get something for free and rip off the establishment. The funny thing is they don't try this type of ish at big brand name stores like starbucks or ATP. They know they can't get away with it so they don't even try. When they see mom and pop places their first inclination is to take advantage.

My boss told me he had a guy he flew with in a caravan, who he told to let the passengers know they were starting the descent. He turned around and shouted "folks were going down" while pointing to the floor. Went over real well.

Let me guess, you know inside they're lying and you just want to punch them in the face but you can't. I deal with liars on a daily basis. Employees and customers. All they want is to get something for free and rip off the establishment. The funny thing is they don't try this type of ish at big brand name stores like starbucks or ATP. They know they can't get away with it so they don't even try. When they see mom and pop places their first inclination is to take advantage.

I've told this story before, but my mom-in-law ran a few Subways a few years ago and ended up losing her shirt (not literally, fortunately). In part because her margins were so thin, but in part because of employees stealing from her. She paid these folks $12 an hour as assistant managers and they'd steal from the register and up and quit on her without telling anyone - just not show up to open the store. If ever there was a story that made me opposed to raising minimum wage, that was it.

My ground instructor on the ATR had an awesome story about flying a brutal, turbulent approach during a winter storm in a Mohawk 298 into a slick runway. They get it down and controller wanted to get a plane out quickly after them and asked if they could make a turnoff...to which the instructor accidentally keyed the PA as they were getting blown around on the rollout and announced "We're not gonna make it" to the passengers.
Which is probably the case here.

I've told this story before, but my mom-in-law ran a few Subways a few years ago and ended up losing her shirt (not literally, fortunately). In part because her margins were so thin, but in part because of employees stealing from her. She paid these folks $12 an hour as assistant managers and they'd steal from the register and up and quit on her without telling anyone - just not show up to open the store. If ever there was a story that made me opposed to raising minimum wage, that was it.

I had a cousin who would get a job, get paid, steal and not show up for work after doing so.

Drove me absolutely nuts.

Back