Passengers quote pilot: 'We're going down'

Me too.

Ban hammer?

I blew it I know. I just thought the URL was funny enough on its own because it is so true.

If I were still air lining all over North America every week aboard SWA with the countries finest breed of traveler, I would seriously start that web page. I could always find the gate for the ride to OAK just by people watching in the terminal.

Because if you're going to die, you need to make sure you sound as cool as Barry White, right up until the end.....for the CVR's sake.

If your remember PSA Flt 182, the last thing the Captain transmits is "this is it baby", sounding calm and cool.

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the comm panel like in a 737? Does it need to be specifically set to use the PA or is it thumb up, intercom, thumb down, radio?

This news story is a great reminder to think about what you say to your passengers in non-normal scenarios. I have had the unfortunate opportunity twice in the past three weeks to explain to passengers why we were not going to land at the airport they bought a ticket to. There are no "right for every situation" answers but remember, you can't take back something stupid or inappropriate once you've said it.

Maybe some here have some advice to share about what to say, and more importantly, what not to say.

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the comm panel like in a 737? Does it need to be specifically set to use the PA or is it thumb up, intercom, thumb down, radio?
You can do a PA through the comm panel on the 737 but it carries a high risk of embarassing yourself if you don't get the buttonology right. It's more typical to use the mic on the back of the pedestal or the PA function on the cockpit interphone to make PAs. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Maybe some here have some advice to share about what to say, and more importantly, what not to say.

"I'm behind an armored door, so you can gasp and roll your eyes all you want, we'll get there when we get there. If I feel like it."

"I'm behind an armored door, so you can gasp and roll your eyes all you want, we'll get there when we get there. If I feel like it."
I've opened those armored doors in front of passengers as two or three pieces fall on the floor... It's usually trim pieces but they don't know that. These doors cost $80k and are bulletproof I tell them..... Sure, whatever you say captain as they roll their eyes. :)

If your remember PSA Flt 182, the last thing the Captain transmits is "this is it baby", sounding calm and cool.
I'm pretty sure the last words of the Captain of the AA 757 that crashed into a mountain in Colombia were, "Pull up Baby!", or something along those lines.

I'm pretty sure the last words of the Captain of the AA 757 that crashed into a mountain in Colombia were, "Pull up Baby!", or something along those lines.

Being a geek historian, in 1974, a Navy aggressor pilot and Mig killer was trapped in his aggressor A-4 Skyhawk, seat wouldn't fire. Last thing he said, very calmly, was "well, see you guys later." I only wish I could be that calm in that situation.

Being a geek historian, in 1974, a Navy aggressor pilot and Mig killer was trapped in his aggressor A-4 Skyhawk, seat wouldn't fire. Last thing he said, very calmly, was "well, see you guys later." I only wish I could be that calm in that situation.

Can't help but think of "The Right Stuff" (the book, not the movie, although the movie was pretty boss, too). "I've tried A, A didn't work. I've tried B, B didn't work, I've tried C, C didn...(end tape)". That's a Pilo...er, I think you guys call them "Aviators", though, don't you? In any case, that's All That Is Man. *thumbs up*

You can do a PA through the comm panel on the 737 but it carries a high risk of embarassing yourself if you don't get the buttonology right. It's more typical to use the mic on the back of the pedestal or the PA function on the cockpit interphone to make PAs. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

I've definitely answered radio calls into the cabin before when I forgot to deselect PA. But my biggest radio screw up was when I decided to move the switch the wrong way and transmitted my entire takeoff brief to JFK tower. We were pretty much the only one out there too, so I couldn't hide. I end my briefings with "any questions?" Tower had one.

Back