Part 135 operators who are by the book (or at least try really hard to be)

flyinghedgehog

Pilots,

I have a job offer that I may not accept due to legality issues (rest period, on call schedule). I am yet to confirm with the operator about how they handle this. I have spoken with a couple of their pilots and was told that there is no day off where they can turn off their phone and go do whatever. They have to answer the phone when called. If they want to have a beer they just text the scheduler to let him/her know. So I supposed how they go into or out of rest is arranged casually or not at all.

Before you go off the handle, I want to let you know that I understand the FAA office of chief counsel's interpretation. Rest period must be 1) continuous 2) determined prospectively (so you can't just do the look back deal) 3)free from all restraint by certificate holder. So 24/7 on call= no legal rest period

My mentor (UPS captain , a real deal freight dog who has done all kinds of stuff prior to UPS) said you have to play the game and he would be more interested in whether the airplanes are well-maintained, and whether the schedule end up being too fatiguing. At this ops the planes are in really good shape and you end up having at least 2 days a week where there is nothing on the schedule. I respect his opinion but I am not sure if I could play the game so to speak.

So the question is, if I have to back out of this deal (and there is a real possibility that this may happen)

1) IS THERE ANY PART 135 OPERATOR WHO AT LEAST ATTEMPT TO DO STUFF BY THE BOOK? Am I looking for a unicorn here??? What I am concerned about is that I will end up backing out of this deal, only to find similar outfits who do the same s***. If you have any operators you would recommend please go ahead and do so, out here or via PM, up to you.
2) Who here can say that in their entire career they have never KNOWINGLY break regulations? A lot us have signed up to work for some dirtbag operators or fly questionable airplanes in questionable weather. I said KNOWINGLY because if you did not know any better then it is different. My goal is to be by the book as much as I can, but I am no longer certain that is possible. These days it seems that if you are still kinda sorta low hour you have to compromise yourself.

I understand that things are not black and white and there are times when we do our best to go by the book but end up fudging it. I want to find out more about how things work in the real world so please answer away.

I myself have never knowingly break regulations and intend to keep it that way.... This job seems to be a viable option since there is no training contract but if the rest period is not legall then it is not.

Maybe I should go find a no string attached piston job.....

Last edited:
My shop does it right.
But I'm an idiot for not wanting to go 121, so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The joint I work for now does everything of which I'm aware to the letter of the Law. This has not always been the case, but they hired a fairly sharp DO who sees the writing on the wall and wants to get in front of any potential tide of enforcement.

To the people saying their shops go by the book, what is their process for doing so? Enough crews per plane?

See if they'll put the duty/ rest policy in writing. That'll let you know where they stand.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

I've never seen a charter department properly staffed. That's a unicorn. Certainly trying to keep it reasonably staffed is part of the equation, but ops standing up to sales and simply parking airplanes that can't be crewed is another part.

We do 3 pilots per plane. 2 captains 1 FO.

10 on 5 off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No contract is a good sign. If it's a place that bends the rules, treats pilots like crap ect ect ect, When pilots don't stay is when contracts are implemented. If guys are sticking around for more than a few years chances are it's a decent place.

Larger outfits tend to stick to the rules. Too many chances a disgruntled worker or ex worker will spill the beans on large scale dishonesty. Small shops have much more latitude and less grease available to bend you over a barrel.

Dude I've been down this road for 12 years. Just go 121, if you can afford it of course. I did small cabin jet 91. Mom and pop bend the rules 135 for 5 years, 3 years at XOJET which you think would be good but was a mess and 91 large cabin for 3 years.

None of it. I mean none of the 135 operations that I was even exposed to did things as well as the 121 I just got hired at. I did meet one charter pilot in England who was part of 4 crew on a 560XL. He didn't get paid much but listening to him was pretty much listening to the exact opposite that I experienced and heard from other 135 crews. He wasn't on call all the time, he didn't fly sick or fatigued, he got to go on vacation. Basically because of the EASA rules his aircraft was staffed the same as a 121 aircraft.

I'm sure your UPS friend wants you to move on to something better than 135 so just start it right from the start and go 121. More hours if you want them. Less lav cleaning and throwing bags. With the current hiring projections why would you do anything else?

Folks I am 100 hour short of ATP min. Does that answer why I don't go 121? ....sigh.

I want to build time that would give me more mileage towards career in major. Operating multi turbine planes is definitely going to get me further. I consider 135 because of that and if QOL is good I might even stay more than a year. If anyone give me a type I will stay at least a year to be fair. Plus charter experience will make me more hirable to corporate flight department if I ever want to go that route. It is good to have options...

I am willing to make some sacrifice. However the line is in the sand there ...where it involves breaking regs.

I'm on my 5th 135, although it isn't their core business, perhaps because it isn't their core business, rule following is an imperative here, as it should be. The EMS companies I have worked for were the worst for following rules. Ameriflight was well organised in that regard.

The EMS companies I have worked for were the worst for following rules.

Just a datapoint, but my experience at Methods was diametrically opposite. Probably for a myriad of reasons, including but not limited to the size of the company, their long history of getting nailed to the wall by the Feds on the rotor wing side, and the fact that I was at a hospital program. But it sometimes seemed like the hardest part of the job was finding a reason to fly.

PS. I'm on my 7th 135. I...win?

Just a datapoint, but my experience at Methods was diametrically opposite. Probably for a myriad of reasons, including but not limited to the size of the company, their long history of getting nailed to the wall by the Feds on the rotor wing side, and the fact that I was at a hospital program. But it sometimes seemed like the hardest part of the job was finding a reason to fly.

PS. I'm on my 7th 135. I...win?

I'm not sure if more is winning, but I'll give you internet points for making a better choice of employer. Management can make or break a company.

Folks I am 100 hour short of ATP min. Does that answer why I don't go 121? ....sigh.

I want to build time that would give me more mileage towards career in major. Operating multi turbine planes is definitely going to get me further. I consider 135 because of that and if QOL is good I might even stay more than a year. If anyone give me a type I will stay at least a year to be fair. Plus charter experience will make me more hirable to corporate flight department if I ever want to go that route. It is good to have options...

I am willing to make some sacrifice. However the line is in the sand there ...where it involves breaking regs.

Just keep motivating and get the last 100 hrs. Come over to Skywest, if the bases work of course. And get the best training I've ever gotten.

or

Go 135 get as good or more likely worse training, possibly pick up a bunch of bad habits, possibly get violated, possibly be facing a training contract. Possibly face getting fired for no good reason. Etc...

I beat my head against that wall for 12 years. I just finally got smart enough to turn things around. Sure I missed some really low pay from 2005-2015 or so but I'm not sure if it was worth it or not.

Back