Part 135 operators who are by the book (or at least try really hard to be)

Yes, I read it. Show me one where it says it needn't be.

ooookaaay,

There is no having a conversation if that's the standard. I can't prove a negative, only what is written.

Anyway, my point(s) weren't to advocate FOR being on call, only to give the examples to help folks PROVE they have LEGAL rest. All the other stuff is up to the individual operator to mitigate, ie fatigue, staffing, etc.

AND AGAIN, I never once advocated for being on call as a "good" staffing policy, I want DEFINED DUTY PERIODS.

ooookaaay,

There is no having a conversation if that's the standard. I can't prove a negative, only what is written.

Anyway, my point(s) weren't to advocate FOR being on call, only to give the examples to help folks PROVE they have LEGAL rest. All the other stuff is up to the individual operator to mitigate, ie fatigue, staffing, etc.

AND AGAIN, I never once advocated for being on call as a "good" staffing policy, I want DEFINED DUTY PERIODS.
Regularly assigned duty periods are a thing too - look in 135.267.

Regularly assigned duty periods are a thing too - look in 135.267.
Yes, I know about .267. Not exactly what "we" are trying to get at here. More along the lines of "You dutied off at 10 pm, you are automatically in rest for 10 hours" Or "On the road duty starts at 8am local and ends at 6pm local". Not so much for exceeding the 10 hours of flight time in a 24 hour period.

We did the regularly assigned duty periods at AirMed, 7am to 7pm at the airport but they tried to pull the "on call is rest" thing for the night shifts because we were at home on the night shifts. I had a few phone conversations with the folks in DC about it (if you call that number on all those LOIs someone actually answers the phone!)

I think we're talking the difference between short and long call reserve, as how the airlines did it. (still do?)

Perfectly legal to have you on call for three days straight, call you at 5pm and say "Your duty starts at 3am, here's your flight assignment, you are now on rest." Prudent? Fair? Arguably no, but legal. This is long call.

What isn't legal is if it were the same situation except the phone call was "Go pick up client at X and take them to Y, be wheels up in an hour." That can only be legal if the completion of the trip happens within 14 hours of the beginning of the on-call period. This is short call.

Long Call should also not be used to "look back" for the purposes of finding contiguous 24 hour rest periods.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ps/2013/new - (2013) legal interpretation.pdf

I knew I had read this somewhere.

135.267(c) really doesn't or can't apply to a good number of charter operators because our schedules are almost always changing. Works great for Air Ambo type ops.

From the letter:

Subsection 135.267(c) contains a set of flight, duty, and rest regulations that are applicable only if, among other things, a flight crewmember's assigned flight time "occurs during a regularly assigned duty period of no more than 14 hours." "A key component of the regularly assigned duty period provision ... is that the start and end time of a 14-hour duty day does not vary from day-to-day." In previous interpretations, the FAA emphasized that "regularly assigned duty periods are not intended to be implemented for short periods of time.,,2 The FAA stated that it considers "a schedule of at least four weeks a reasonable amount of time to establish a regularly assigned duty period.?

ooookaaay,

If you we're having any doubts, that's what I heard you say. @Boris Badenov is a genius, but all bets are off when he hits the crack pipe. Personally, I favor the crank... that's why I don't care about duty limits. ;) (official disclaimer for officious spiders: this is a joke)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure people have already written. One of the legacies of the dual mandate is that the agency has a proclivity for ignoring questions which are politically inconvenient.

Also the period of 24hrs known rest doesn't have to be in base. You could be in the Embassy Suites Secaucus or AirTel VNY and be in rest for 24 hours. It's a • move but legal.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

It only has to happen once. This is a really dumb excuse.

Yea I would check that statement again.

I have only seen one NTSB report where fatigue was listed as the probable cause. According to this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26929259
Only 20% of accidents listed fatigue as probable, contributing factor or finding. That is across all of the NTSB accidents, which includes auto, marine, and railroad accidents.

I think I didn't make my point clear enough. Because it is hard to prove, and there aren't a lot of accidents that list it as the primary cause of the accident, it doesn't get as much attention as it should. There are entire industries that operate under illegal 24/7 on call rules. Ad Hoc freight being one of them. I don't know of a single operator in that segment that doesn't run 24/7.

Also, these companies have the mentality that they have always operated this way, and an accident hasn't happened, so they keep operating that way. I'm not saying it is right, I am just saying that these companies won't comply with the regulation and numerous letters of interpretations because:

A. They have always done it that way
B. The FSDO overseeing the operation doesn't enforce the regulations

Until airplanes start dropping out of the sky with the FAA and NTSB blaming pilot fatigue as the primary cause of the accident, there isn't much that is going to change. The easiest way to motivate these companies is to threaten their certificate.

I work for a company that does scheduling as follows. Every month you get to pick 9 days that they cannot touch you. For the rest of the month scheduling works as follows. If your not assigned a trip for the next day by 5pm then your off. For example if your off today they must assign you a trip by 5pm today for tomorrow. If 5pm comes and go with no assigned trip your off the next day. There is absolutely no on call at this company. The only pop up trips you can be assigned are ones which can be completed within your 14 duty day following a trip already completed. For example if you complete a trip with 6 hours of duty left they can put you on another trip that finishes within that already started duty period. If they do this you get pop up pay for that trip. Also overtime for the month starts on day 14. So any flying over 13 days for the month is paid overtime rate for each day which is 200 bucks a day. It's works out well. Last year I averaged 13 days and 3 overnights a month. Pay is NBAA on the high side.

Just a datapoint, but my experience at Methods was diametrically opposite. Probably for a myriad of reasons, including but not limited to the size of the company, their long history of getting nailed to the wall by the Feds on the rotor wing side, and the fact that I was at a hospital program. But it sometimes seemed like the hardest part of the job was finding a reason to fly.

PS. I'm on my 7th 135. I...win?
You work here. You lose. Gear up, biaaaatch.

Exactly. Things were awful on the 121 side and the 135 side for the last 10 years. Now they are getting better.

Things are still pretty awful on the 121(regional) side. Every one of them is short staffed, so schedules are suffering. It's still better than any 135 gig I ever worked though.

12 parsecs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes me wonder - one day when we have spaceships that can go really fast or violate causality...I wonder how we'll handle the issue of duty time. I'm sure there will be skeezy companies saying things like, "Look, I know that in your reference frame it was a 36 hour shift...but HQ was accelerating, and for us in the office it appears you were only on duty for 12 hours - you were totally legal!"

Back