KAIT 301552Z AUTO 07004KT 1 1/2SM BR OVC003 02/M01 A2945 RMK AO2
KAIT 301533Z AUTO 06004KT 1 1/4SM BR OVC003 02/M01 A2945 RMK AO2
KAIT 301513Z AUTO 07003KT 1 1/2SM BR OVC003 02/M01 A2946 RMK AO2

missing a/c alert sent 45 minutes later

Two dead in plane crash near Milaca
By ABBY SIMONS, Star Tribune

Last update: December 30, 2010 - 12:34 PM

FAA: 2 people killed when small plane heading to Texas crashes in Minnesota
Two people died Thursday morning when their small plane crashed in Mille Lacs County, officials said.

The Piper 46 airplane with tail number N9103N departed Aitkin Thursday morning and was headed to Beaumont, Texas, said Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory. The pilot was communicating with air traffic controllers in Minneapolis when they lost radio contact.

The FAA issued a notice of missing aircraft at 10:14 a.m., and the notice was cancelled when wreckage was found near Milaca by local search and rescue workers, Isham Cory said.

They dead were expected to be identified by the Mille Lacs County medical examiner. The crash was being investigated by the FAA and National Transportation Safety Board.

The 1986 fixed-wing, single-engine plane is registered to TeeMark Corp., located near the Aitkin airport. A woman who answered the phone there declined to comment. The company specializes in drum crushers and waste compactors, according to its website.

9103n.jpg

RIP.

I got a bad feeling we can chalk another one up to "pilot's failure to maintain control in instrument meteorological conditions." :(

RIP.

This wasn't the company that was hiring up there not too long ago, was it?

Ya it was a husband/wife that owned a company as well as the only PA46 in Aitkin. So that should narrow it down if your familiar with the area.

I haven't posted on here since I gave up my career ambitions a few years back but never thought I would be posting about this. It went down about 1 mile NW of our house. We heard it coming out of the sky from inside the house. I ran to the deck waiting to see it come out of the clouds and he recovered from the dive. I heard it again gliding overhead with the power pulled back. A little later I heard it again at low altitude and a low to mid power setting approaching our house from the north. I was trying to see the airplane when I heard it go into a dive then quiet. Called the Sheriff office and told them it didn't sound good and went out to see if we could find anything. Found it and called 911. I was first out there but there was nothing that could be done for them. Sheriff and FAA/NTSB all have my reports and media has been banging on the door. Just wish we could have helped.

Back