Contract Hawker Hunter down

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
2nd ATAC aircraft lost in the span of two months: F-21 Kfir in March at NAS Fallon, Hawker Hunter today at Pt Mugu. In an interesting twist of fate, 1 year ago today is when the Omega Air contract air-refueling 707 crashed on takeoff from Pt Mugu NAS.

CAMARILLO, Calif. (AP) - A privately owned jet contracted by the military to play the enemy in training exercises crashed Friday in a Southern California farm field, killing the civilian pilot, authorities said.

The Hawker Hunter jet trainer went down near Naval Base Ventura County, fire department spokesman Steve Swindle said. The pilot was the only person aboard.

The high-performance military-style aircraft took off from the base on a training sortie with another jet trainer and went down as it was returning, about two miles from the runway.

"He was on final approach. He went down," Swindle said. He said the sky in the area was "bright and crystal clear."

The farm field where the plane crashed is between Point Mugu State Park, Camarillo Airport, and the Naval base, some 50 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

Debris from the crash covered an area about the size of a football field, Swindle said. There were no injuries on the ground and there was no fire, he said.

Sergio Mendoza, 23, was working in a nearby celery field when he saw the two planes flying together.

He told the Ventura County Star he saw one jet on fire and it began breaking apart in the sky as he lost sight of it.

Naval and fire personnel were at the crash site and investigators from the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board would take over the investigation, Swindle said.

The British-built, single-seat Hawker Hunter was owned by Airborne Tactical Advantage Co. of Newport News, Va., known as ATAC. It provides aerial training to the military, including the Navy's elite Fighter Weapons School.

Matt "Race" Bannon, director of business development for ATAC, confirmed that the pilot was also from the company but would not identify him or give any details until relatives were notified.

"Our concern right now is with the family," Bannon said.

The cause of the crash was not immediately known. "I won't even speculate as to anything," Bannon said.

Following company procedure after accidents, ATAC was immediately halting all its flights.
The Naval base uses ATAC planes and pilots to provide adversarial support for its fleet of ships out of San Diego, base spokesman Vance Vasquez said.

"They go out and play the bad guy, Vasquez said, "mimicking the enemy, jamming their radar, testing the fleet's defenses."

On March 6, one of the company's Israeli-built F-21 Kfir jets crashed into a building at Naval Air Station Fallon, Nev., killing the pilot. ATAC said at the time that although the investigation was continuing, there was no question that erratic and severe weather that had not been forecast contributed to the accident.

Friday's crash occurred on the anniversary of the crash of a commercial aerial refueling tanker during takeoff from the Ventura base's air station at Point Mugu. All three crewmembers escaped on May 18, 2011, before fire destroyed the Boeing 707 registered to Omega Air Inc. of San Antonio, Texas.

Story here:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/18557656/military-trainer-jet-crashes-in-calif-1-dead

Yeah, sad news to hear. I'm pretty sure I remember those guys telling me the seats in the Hunters are still hot....wonder what the issue was there. Rough couple of months for ATAC. RIP.

Bummer and RIP indeed. The accident scene is not far from where I used to work.

I guess it's just not safe to fly on May 18 out of Point Mugu?

That sucks, two planes down from the same company and both pilots lost. RIP and condolences to the family.

Really sad. Wonder WTH happened. Really a shame he didn't make it out of the plane.

Are many such trainers owned and operated by civilian contractors, and used in conjunction with the Navy and or the AF for these types of training exercises? Is this done just in the states or are they used globally? I know the RAF used to use a variant that had two seats for training(I think they must had had more than one type of variant, someone here I am sure knows much more about this than I do) but that ended I believe a few decades ago and several other countries used them as well, but I have no idea what countries still have/use them or the variants.

Are many such trainers owned and operated by civilian contractors, and used in conjunction with the Navy and or the AF for these types of training exercises? Is this done just in the states or are they used globally? I know the RAF used to use a variant that had two seats for training(I think they must had had more than one type of variant, someone here I am sure know much more about this than I do) but that ended I believe a few decades ago and several other countries used them as well, but I have no idea what countries still have/use them or the variants.

They're used all over the place. Two common companies used to be Tracor out of Mojave, and Corporate Jets out of Scottsdale. For the AF, the primary contract was target towing for aerial gunnery, unlike the USN which does the aggressor work. Tracor and CJ used F-86s, with Tracor additionally using F-100s even, on both domestic as well as overseas contract. Other companies play "enemy" with USN ships AF aircraft, such as Flight International and Phoenix Air; Phoenix with Lears, and FI with Lears and (at one time) MU-2s. ATSI out of the former Williams AFB used ex-USN and ex-Israeli AF A-4 Skyhawks in both a foreign training contract as well as an aggressor role.

Thank you, Mike. I figured you or someone here would know. That is interesting info, as it's just not common knowledge for me, at any rate. I am, familiar with Tracor being a huge defense contractor and that they have developed many different types of systems for military use and that they have several subsidiaries, but really had no clue about the contract training flying at all or that they even did that. It's always cool to be able to ask my uninformed questions on here and get good answers. lol Thanks, again.

Yeah ATAC does a lot of contract red air for the USN in their hunters and kfirs. There is also an outfit that flies fancy Lears in a similar role, though their name escapes me at the moment. They are all very experienced former military fighter types, mostly retired O-5/O-6 patch wearers from their respective former services.

That was going to be my next question, regarding the qualifications of the pilots at the contractor's employ. I figured they must be former military pilots. Seems like a very good second career. Hope they are able to discover what happened.

That was going to be my next question, regarding the qualifications of the pilots at the contractor's employ. I figured they must be former military pilots. Seems like a very good second career. Hope they are able to discover what happened.

Majority are former mil, often from the same service that they support in the contract. Its not just the flying, it's understanding and having experience in the job and mission itself and what you are there to support. That's the only way you can truly provide the best quality customer service, especially in the tactical sense.

There's also a guy in Florida who has a few Hinds and Mi-17's that are used in contract work. He did in 2005, anyways.

It's funny what you can hide in broad daylight.

Yeah I remember seeing the mi-17's flying down the beach at Destin when I was there for a weekend. Also saw a Hind on the ramp at Yuma after diverting there a year or so ago. Maybe the same organization, I tried to snap a pic of it with my phone as they were towing me and the jet back to the t-line but it was too far away to really tell what it was in the photo

Back