Cessna 310 down in Jacksonville, FL

chrisreedrules

Master Blaster
I just got a call from a friend saying he heard a Cessna 210 (it was actually a 310) went down at Craig (KCRG) today. He knew my company flew a lot of 210s and was just checking to make sure all was well... Anyway I hadn't heard about it yet so I went ahead and poked around.

Here's a link from local media:
http://www.news4jax.com/news/jfrd-2...side/-/475880/23386308/-/g3nf56z/-/index.html

And here's the METAR from around the time of the accident:
KCRG 090127Z 02003KT 1/2SM FG VV002 18/17 A3022 RMK AO2

...not a good day to be flying into Craig.

2 confirmed dead but 3 listed on the flight plan. Here's to hoping but it doesn't look good. RIP.

Topping this thread. Anyone hear any more about it?

Mins on the ILS at KCRG are 200/1...so should we assume CRG reported something more than 1/2?

Topping this thread. Anyone hear any more about it?

Mins on the ILS at KCRG are 200/1...so should we assume CRG reported something more than 1/2?
I haven't heard anything solid but speculation... Knowing that airport and area like the back of my hand I can tell you that if you weren't familiar it might be possible to mistake some of the lighting from a couple of busy roads near the airport as runway lighting but that is a bit hard for me to believe for someone with his experience.

But I will say that there is a big difference between experience and proficiency/currency. It is a tragedy, there is no doubt about that... But one does have to wonder why he would load both of his daughters into an airplane and take them to an airport reporting Wx like that. Shooting approaches like that is certainly a "no nonsense" thing to any professional pilot. I wonder why he didn't try and get it into any number of other local airports?

Back