PA 31-350 Navajo Chieftain training material

swisspilot

Looks like I`m gonna be starting a new job, will be flying a pax Navajo, I am after any Piper Chieftain 350 training notes or a manual in digital format, I found lots of printed copies of manuals (even the FSI one) online for sale, but I`m currently outside the US and it will take too long to get them shipped, I will be provided with training material but will only start training in a month from now, which is in a different country I`m currently living, so I need something to start studying a bit. I`m not the kind of guy that tries to learn everything only while in groundschool and stay up until 0200 AM, wanna get to the training with most of the info already in my brain. I know there are many Navajo pilots on the forum...

Other then this I`m pretty excited to keep climbing the ladder, so far:

CFI->PART 91/135 Single Engine Piston->PART 121/135 Twin Piston...

Alex

So who is taking over your other amazing job

The owner of the last C206 I was flying has a PPL and since we mainly flew his family he thinks he will be fine, the plane has been put on the 135 of a local seaplane company (the one with the Lake), so their pilot will be flying too I guess. I really wanted to stay in Vanuatu, I was not flying many hours, but the place and the money I was making was totally worth it, I tried to move into bigger things over there, but I need more multi time and get back into IFR flying (not that I don`t have it but the competion has a lot more), this job I just got will help me work on that and who knows maby sometime in the future I will go back, but I`m happy with this new place and plan to stick around if it turns out to be as it looks...will still be doing some bush flying as the company operates many other type of planes to remote areas.

Can you operate pistons 121?

there are many airlines around the world that do, like somebody said above: Cape Air, but also in FL they have Islanders that do scheduled work, even a C206 out of MIA to Bimini...

In many remote parts of the world local airlines wet lease the planes of 135s to operate some of their routes when they have low pax number, the Islander is often used.

In Europe there are also several operators that fly piston 121, Northern Germany and Channel Islands for example. Air Lingus operates some Islanders twin piston too in Northern Ireland.

I'm sure it's different in other countries.

Cape are flies the 402's 135. The ATR's are 121. You can have scheduled 135 and you can have unscheduled 121. :confused2:

The panther conversion is basically good for a few more knots, and has 4 bladed q-tip props. Still the same TIO-540-J2B. You get another 250lbs MGTOW.

The panther conversion is basically good for a few more knots, and has 4 bladed q-tip props. Still the same TIO-540-J2B. You get another 250lbs MGTOW.

We had a panther at my last gig and it was 10 kts slower than the rest of the chieftains... lol

Happy March 2017 folks. I am looking for that training material for a Chieftain (Panther) if anyone is still looking at this or has it available.

I am looking for a 'right seater' who can fly with me to insurance level, instrument competency as well starting this week of 3-6-17. I need the plane flown near Tampa for flight checks. It is just out of annual.
David Old 505-470-3616

Looks like I`m gonna be starting a new job, will be flying a pax Navajo, I am after any Piper Chieftain 350 training notes or a manual in digital format, I found lots of printed copies of manuals (even the FSI one) online for sale, but I`m currently outside the US and it will take too long to get them shipped, I will be provided with training material but will only start training in a month from now, which is in a different country I`m currently living, so I need something to start studying a bit. I`m not the kind of guy that tries to learn everything only while in groundschool and stay up until 0200 AM, wanna get to the training with most of the info already in my brain. I know there are many Navajo pilots on the forum...

Other then this I`m pretty excited to keep climbing the ladder, so far:

CFI->PART 91/135 Single Engine Piston->PART 121/135 Twin Piston...

Alex
Not meaning to sound snarky, but I wouldn't worry about assimilating the information. There's really not that much to assimilate, unless, perhaps, you have very limited light twin time. The most important benefit of the 350? You'll have a lot less heartburn. Mnemonic: PA 300 has 300hp engines. PA350 has 350hp engines. The 350 even has counter-rotating props, so you've got that going for you, which is nice... especially if you ever actually puke an engine on takeoff. Then again, if you add all the extra seats, the 350 is probably equally pathetic when heavy and hot. Memory Item: Don't puke an engine in a Navajo (unless you are well away from the ground and have lots of airspeed).
Killer gotchas: Engine Cowling Screws (Ensure secured), Nose Bag Door (Ensure closed. Also, don't ever leave open unattended), Performance Charts (Don't believe them and/or factor by 2x or .5x, accordingly), Heater (Be wary), Gear (Clean often lest it get stuck down), MaxWgt Changes/VG add-ons (load only to original book MTOW... and factor by .5x). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy March 2017 folks. I am looking for that training material for a Chieftain (Panther) if anyone is still looking at this or has it available.

I am looking for a 'right seater' who can fly with me to insurance level, instrument competency as well starting this week of 3-6-17. I need the plane flown near Tampa for flight checks. It is just out of annual.
David Old 505-470-3616

I got a buddy down there that flew with me up in AK he's got at least 1000hrs in the airplane and flies a gulf stream now but he might be willing to help - I used to teach the Jo for my old job, if you want the training materials I put together shoot me a pm

Not meaning to sound snarky, but I wouldn't worry about assimilating the information. There's really not that much to assimilate, unless, perhaps, you have very limited light twin time. The most important benefit of the 350? You'll have a lot less heartburn. Mnemonic: PA 300 has 300hp engines. PA350 has 350hp engines. The 350 even has counter-rotating props, so you've got that going for you, which is nice... especially if you ever actually puke an engine on takeoff. Then again, if you add all the extra seats, the 350 is probably equally pathetic when heavy and hot. Memory Item: Don't puke an engine in a Navajo (unless you are well away from the ground and have lots of airspeed).
Killer gotchas: Engine Cowling Screws (Ensure secured), Nose Bag Door (Ensure closed. Also, don't ever leave open unattended), Performance Charts (Don't believe them and/or factor by 2x or .5x, accordingly), Heater (Be wary), Gear (Clean often lest it get stuck down), MaxWgt Changes/VG add-ons (load only to original book MTOW... and factor by .5x). ;)
I've got 500 hours or so in a 350 and agree with very little of this.

I've got 500 hours or so in a 350 and agree with very little of this.
Right I have about 1000 hours in the airplane and I would not characterize much of this as being helpful.

It's a relatively simple airplane in terms of what it is that is to say it's a piston twin but the workload can be exceedingly high and the systems knowledge is pretty important in my opinion.

Also the airplane will fly just fine at 7368 with the BL R kit and I have personally operated the airplane into and out of Gravel runways that are shorter than 3000 feet in length with very few problems it's an excellent performing machine. I think it's my favorite airplane I've flown, it's that or the 1900.

@Crop Duster
Ummmmm.....this thread is 4 1/2 years old. Pretty sure he doesn't need the advice now.

@Crop Duster
Ummmmm.....this thread is 4 1/2 years old. Pretty sure he doesn't need the advice now.
Ah, crap! Total loss of situational awareness! See how that irrelevant old fake news can distract a person when it pops up in the "new posts" page? @Old played me like a fiddle...Damn
Your's truly, Mortified. :oops:

Back