PA 31-350 Navajo Chieftain training material

Don't forget the nacelle doors or the rear pax door (not as dangerous but definitely embarrassing). I call it the chieftain circle...
Ha....I have a "friend" who left a wing locker open in one of those with a nice long box sticking out of it...Thanks to a kind co-worker taxiing out behind "him" alerting "him" to the locker being open before taking the runway, no harm was done...Ever since then, the chieftain circle became a religious event of "his".

Ha....I have a "friend" who left a wing locker open in one of those with a nice long box sticking out of it...Thanks to a kind co-worker taxiing out behind "him" alerting "him" to the locker being open before taking the runway...Ever since then, the chieftain circle became a religious event of "his".
Similar thing happened to a friend of mine and a Caravan cargo pod door...

After a slew of issues with people forgetting stuff, I wrote this pdf at my old shop. We did it prior to every flight, even at out stations. It was like a religious ceremony and honestly it helped. To this day, if I don't do a "final check" of the airplane prior to departure I feel weird about it, I think it is a good practice.

Edit to add - they may look kind of weird, sanitized some company stuff from them.

Attachments

• finalchecks.pdf
    250.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Here's some training materials I made back in the day - I sanitized company info off of them so these look kind of weird too - the process of flattening out the PDF added some weird image artifacts as well, but this was how we flew the Navajo, and it worked great.

Attachments

• navajo maneuvers.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 113
Well, yeah... a Panther. I'd probably miss that too, but I don't have $800k laying around to retrofit each of the old birds we fly. ;)

I was definitely lucky. It had a pretty nice panel too. GNS430WAAS, Avidyne MX500, Shaden fuel computer, JPI engine monitor, and it was aaalllll leather, minus the plush crew seats up front. And we were told to "run it hard." I used to get told to slow down by approach all the time. We used the JPI to stage cool, so we kept speed up a lot longer than what approach was used to with Ameriflight.

"Tango November XX, we need you to either slow down or take a turn. You have a 40kt overtake on SWA in front of you."

After a slew of issues with people forgetting stuff, I wrote this pdf at my old shop. We did it prior to every flight, even at out stations. It was like a religious ceremony and honestly it helped. To this day, if I don't do a "final check" of the airplane prior to departure I feel weird about it, I think it is a good practice.

Edit to add - they may look kind of weird, sanitized some company stuff from them.
Pat, did AAT not use the prop tie, engine inlet plugs, or Tanis heater? We do, so our final check includes visually confirming that the Tanis heater extension cord is not attached, that the plugs have been pulled, and that the prop rotates freely (i.e., that it is not tethered). Our final check includes all the other items in your diagram. I like all three diagrams - using a picture is much more effective than giving someone verbal instructions to "do your final check like this . . ."

Back