Otsego Splash-in (Gaylord, Michigan)

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
Here are a few pics from the 2017 splash-in. It was a lot of fun. I'm planning to go next year too, if I can. There were LOTS of floatplanes and flying boats. Many, many more than what is represented here.

IMAG1514_zpsjsslb40u.jpg

IMAG1516_zpsnh22xywo.jpg

IMAG1513_zpshuwnbyst.jpg

IMAG150220170610-120837_zpsxx7xquxg.jpg

IMAG1501_zpsmzjrvygl.jpg

IMAG1500_zpsi6feneqm.jpg

IMAG1498_zpsethtvucd.jpg

IMAG1496_zpsbpjm7z2b.jpg

IMAG1493_zpstztlv9t3.jpg

IMAG1486_zpsq2pkhmlm.jpg

IMAG1482_zpsuufz8cdo.jpg

IMAG1480_zpsnbetanzv.jpg

I'd love to fly in something with floats on it. Maybe I'll convince myself to move to Alaska after flight school and get the chance.

That's where I'm planning to go after I ETS and retire.
Follow Bradley Friesen, steveo1kinevo and Flight Chops on youtube. They do a ton of stuff in Canada that looks fun. To be honest all the youtube aviation personalities are what got me looking into places up north in Canada or Alaska to fly for.

I don't own a real camera, these are cellphone pictures. Shoot and scoot! I'm not a pro, but I think they turned out okay for the most part. I'd like to get a good camera and learn how to do it right, but honestly, picking one is overwhelming and I don't have time for that right now. Besides, right now all of my "extra" money is going into my CFI, Oshkosh, and Bearhawk funds. Priorities.
Some of the pictures look like it was overcast and gloomy, but it was a bright, beautiful, very sunny day all day long. It got super windy in the afternoon and the lake started white-capping. A few people got in their planes and left.
Later that night, the wind was so strong that it knocked the power out in most of the Northern third of the lower peninsula. There was a chance of t-storms overnight and Sunday, but i don't think it happened.

@modernicarus bearhawk eh?....

I've been looking at one as well. Sort of.

I'm pretty serious about a Cessna 180 right now, which I think I'll buy when I get back. However the idea of building an airplane is awesome. The Bearhwak 4 place is my first choice and a patrol is second.

Greg Swindle (YouTube- Ohio Bush Planes) went to Mexico and did a factory tour. It's a really cool design.

@Nark
Yeah, the Bearhawk looks amazing! Been looking at them for a few years now.
I'm going to build a 4-place model B and put it on amphibious floats. I should be able to start building this fall.
180 or a Maule would be awesome too, but I can't do my own maintenance on certified aircraft which puts it out of reach financially, and I definitely can't afford one on amphibious floats.

Last edited:
I've been surfing barnstormers and controller so much, they are the first recommended page(s) on firefox..

I did a budget, which accounts for: possible loan, hangar, insurance, and a maintenance bank of around $2500 for the year. It comes out to roughly $9,181/yer without moving the prop. Per hour cost is $145.05/hr based on 100 hours per year.
Some of the numbers I used was a guess based upon the last few years owning a Stinson 108, and expected fuel and oil burn rates.

I've found a few in the area (midwest that is, when I get back) that have straight wheels, but most importantly float re-enforced. It's much easier to go from wheels to floats, than it is to go from straight floats, and buy a set of wheels (mains and tail etc...). Based upon a few specialty shops, I'd budget something between $500-$800 for the labor to swap them out for the summer. I've seen a few used 2980's between $5-10,000.

The 180 is a little underpowered for amphibs. They work well for a 185, but it's a little rich for my blood.

I used to keep a tally by the cent of the operating cost of my Stinson. However I soon came to the realization, I didn't need to. I enjoy going to the hangar, whether its changing the oil, or going for a spin to the neighboring airport for mogas. Puttering along at 90knots doesn't get you far. 130+ will change that a bit.

I'll be around next summer for the fly-in camping and perhaps this splash-in.

I don't own a real camera, these are cellphone pictures. Shoot and scoot! I'm not a pro, but I think they turned out okay for the most part. I'd like to get a good camera and learn how to do it right, but honestly, picking one is overwhelming and I don't have time for that right now. Besides, right now all of my "extra" money is going into my CFI, Oshkosh, and Bearhawk funds. Priorities.
Some of the pictures look like it was overcast and gloomy, but it was a bright, beautiful, very sunny day all day long. It got super windy in the afternoon and the lake started white-capping. A few people got in their planes and left.
Later that night, the wind was so strong that it knocked the power out in most of the Northern third of the lower peninsula. There was a chance of t-storms overnight and Sunday, but i don't think it happened.

Can't go wrong with a GoPro. I use one to record a lot of my flights.
This one was taken with a Hero Sessions.

Attachments

• gopro1.jpg
    gopro1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 135
Back