Orange Theory Fitness

TheFlyingTurkey

Fetus Worshiper
Anyone go to OTF?

I've been struggling with my weight since I graduated high school and stopped playing on the football team.

I recently discovered Orange Theory Fitness (OTF) and I joined up back in November. It's basically an instructor guided, heart rate monitored, bootcamp style, interval training class that lasts about an hour. It is very high intensity, but you can go at your own pace and listen to your body. The instructor/trainer is there to guide you and help you do the workout correctly.

You wear a heart rate monitor, and the goal is to get your heart rate into the "orange zone" for at least 12 minutes of the class. This in theory, will allow you to continue burning calories/fat for up to 36 hours after your workout. They have some science to back this up.

All I know is, I am sore for days after a workout. Granted I am 45 years old now and way out of shape. But I feel fantastic after a workout. Exhausted, but great at the same time.

And I heard somewhere that 80% of weight loss is diet. So I am also using the "Lose It" app to track my caloric intake, and track excercise.

We'll see how it goes, but I have 100 lbs to lose. It'll probably take me a year.

You can't outrun your fork.

Reduce carbs, don't eat useless carlories, and eat a ton of veggies. Stop adding sugar and salt to things. Note I didn't say don't eat carbs, but most are superfluous and serve no purpose.

Look into a plant based diet. Start slowly, don't quit cold turkey.

It's really incredibly simple, yet most don't have the will power to make the lifestyle change.

Carbs. It’s all about the carbs.

Read Wheat Belly, Atkins, or South Beach. Wheat Belly is the best, written by a cardiologist who knows a thing or two.

Or by someone who made up a bunch of crap to sell books and a lifestyle.
Literally no scientific evidence for anything in that book.

Wait wait... I already know the reply -

"But my anecdotes!"
Well, I dunno. Works for me.
What, specifically do you not like about it?

Workout plans are kind of like dave ramsey. They’re good if you don’t understand the basics and/or lack motivation to learn. Eat healthy. Lift weights. Do cardio for your heart. Literally all there is to it.
Eh, when I got into it a simple workout plan (I did StrongLifts) was great because I had no idea what the hell I was doing, plus it's easier to keep track of. But that's a very simple program and simpler is usually better. But most of them are full of some sort of questionable science.

Workout plans are kind of like dave ramsey. They’re good if you don’t understand the basics and/or lack motivation to learn. Eat healthy. Lift weights. Do cardio for your heart. Literally all there is to it.
Eh, when I got into it a simple workout plan (I did StrongLifts) was great because I had no idea what the hell I was doing, plus it's easier to keep track of. But that's a very simple program and simpler is usually better. But most of them are full of some sort of questionable science.
Exactly. They’re better than nothing.

Exactly. They’re better than nothing.
Except crossfit :p

Define “professional”trainer? Most of them are no better than your average CrossFit bro. YOUR CNS! You’re gonna fatigue your CNS! ! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Define “professional”trainer? Most of them are no better than your average CrossFit bro. YOUR CNS! You’re gonna fatigue your CNS! ! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Degreed, certified, a trainer for the Arizona Cardinals and the Arizona Coyotes… if he's not legit, I don't think anyone is!

I guess I was speaking in general terms not to any specific individual. I agree though that experience and results are vastly more important than titles. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh. This guy is good. Almost a sociopathic level of "you're going to finish your set" which is good.

I lost 50 lbs over two years. I don't use any weights except for two exercises. Lunges where I just hold them and the vertical press exercise where you hold dumb bells and push up vertically standing up. I do use dumb bells for push ups but I don't lift them - I simply place them on the floor and put my feet on a bench and stretch out and do "deep" style pushups.

No bench pressing or curls or anything anymore. I did at first but got tennis elbow. So I stopped and do pull ups instead.

I focused on body weight exercises and eating right. Pull ups, push ups, dips, lunges (with dumb bells), sit ups, and vertical press (with dumb bells). Do this twice a week.

I do 30 mins of cardio once a week.

Diet was the biggest factor. Of note is I only eat about 6 oz of meat a week. Very little meat based protein.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 9939B582-BEFD-455A-8F7B-2A01267941C2.jpeg
    9939B582-BEFD-455A-8F7B-2A01267941C2.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 194
  • D14605AB-57E5-412F-B6DC-172C7FB076BC.jpeg
    D14605AB-57E5-412F-B6DC-172C7FB076BC.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 196
Unnatural twisting is also basically what a crossfit workout consists of. "Hey, let's do heavier than crap deadlifts but for time instead of focusing on form!" There's more fun ways to severely injure yourself.

My trainer basically says, "if you're over 30 you should not be doing crossfit because you will get hurt, sometimes irreparably".

Back