Opinions

I was confused about #1 as I thought you were annoyed people do this. I do it everytime. I don’t really care what the guy to my left thinks or does personally.
#2 I don’t really do. Sometimes if it’s huge direct crosswind.
#3 don’t care either. But I guess that’s my “generation”. I don’t do it. Don’t think I’ve seen anyone text on the taxi. Or much in sterile that is really rare.

So we have to sit at cruise with you ranting for 5 hours?!?!?

Work work work and Haagen Dazs?

Seriously, VX culture may have been “laid back” but I’ve been told by union guys the new shop is dead serious and if you’re caught doing “that” then you’re done for. Or something. I’d just rather not find out.

#1 usually just do it on foreflight, highlight the route. Unless we in VNY or TEB. I can draw those from memory.
#2 Do it a little bit
#3 I'd take the phone over captains talking to you the whole time while your trying to do the radios from lax-vny. 135 world just does whatever

That's pretty close to how I did it when I was in the right seat too. I found it valuable and have done it in every airplane where I've had a CDU with a scratchpad so it caught me off guard to learn that some FOs don't write anything down.

I find it easier to just write it down with a pen, if it’s one that needs to be written down. Rather than messing with some scratch pad.

I find it easier to just write it down with a pen, if it’s one that needs to be written down.

When the Putnam County (NY) 911 Center opened in 2005, it was a matter of pride for the bosses to consider it "state of the art." Of particular note, they touted the fact that there would be no need for paper and pens - everything would be done electronically. My response to that was "HELL, NO!" and I brought my own from home and used it every shift. There was no way, in a fast-paced environment which required multi-tasking to do the job effectively and well, in which my feeble brain/recall might be always sufficient, nor was there there usually time to go to the electronic "record" to confirm things without falling light years behind the work flow.

Mice chewed through wiring at telephone junction boxes, weather knocked out microwave towers, the CAD would crash at inopportune times - generally when it was busy and the worst possible moment for it to do so. Electronics and the Internet, phone service, too (both commercial and cell) work until they don't, at least in rural New York State.

My bosses (possibly the near-equivalent to one of your captains) despised my practice of writing things down for more nearly immediate use as required. We had our "go-arounds" about my practice (and several others who also took to it), but it let me do my best and most time-saving work when it mattered. And that's why I was there.

I kept those snippets of written information, dated and with event number, for the fifteen years I was there against having to testify in court. Got called only once and things were adjudicated before I had to go on the stand, but I'm surely glad I had "hard copy" with me to bolster the memory of a single call out of ten thousand.

Put on lipstick, kiss the napkin, write the ATIS, and then hand it to him saying “I’m a trans pilot.”

Let’s see how many more napkins he wants that trip.
1F1ACFDF-FB9F-4671-B747-387C388B37B7.gif

But what if your captain instructs you to only write stuff down on napkins? What do you do? What dooooo you do???

Ha ha. There are some of those out there. The first guy (LCA) I did new hire IOE with was like that…. Very particular about how to fold the ATIS, where it needs to be EXACTLY on the center pedestal, etc. Very strange.

We do have an “inbox” of sorts here for paperwork, but he was just really weird about it. Thank goodness that was the only time I saw it.

Ha ha. There are some of those out there. The first guy (LCA) I did new hire IOE with was like that…. Very particular about how to fold the ATIS, where it needs to be EXACTLY on the center pedestal, etc. Very strange.

We do have an “inbox” of sorts here for paperwork, but he was just really weird about it. Thank goodness that was the only time I saw it.
I see you guys doing your origami up there. Basically my only quacky captain thing is, unless there is some extreme requirement (i haven't found one yet), no paper on the pedestal. I don't make a big stink about it though, I'll ask if they want this and then throw it away if the answer is no.

I see you guys doing your origami up there. Basically my only quacky captain thing is, unless there is some extreme requirement (i haven't found one yet), no paper on the pedestal. I don't make a big stink about it though, I'll ask if they want this and then throw it away if the answer is no.

Yeah I never saw anything like it at my old place. It’s of course not written anywhere, just one of those things people do on the 75/76 I guess. NextGen APS and all our other digital documentation will hopefully make it all obsolete at some point.

Yeah I never saw anything like it at my old place. It’s of course not written anywhere, just one of those things people do on the 75/76 I guess. NextGen APS and all our other digital documentation will hopefully make it all obsolete at some point.
We're kind of the opposite, I think we are the only fleet that doesn't time starts or fill out TOLD cards from what I've been uh told.

Remember that certain CA at OO who worked on his laptop right after takeoff?

I didn't read all six pages, but there were a lot of incorrect responses on page 1. The Boeing FCTM is your guide for how to fly the airplane properly per Boeing. Unfortunately most airlines don't give pilots the FCTM. This is what the FCTM for all modern Boeing airplanes says in regard to aileron use during a crosswind takeoff:

Rotation and Takeoff

Begin the takeoff roll with the control wheel approximately centered. Throughout
the takeoff roll, gradually increase control wheel displacement into the wind only
enough to maintain approximately wings level.

Note: Excessive control wheel displacement during rotation and liftoff increases
spoiler deployment. As spoiler deployment increases, drag increases and
lift is reduced which results in reduced tail clearance, a longer takeoff roll,
and slower airplane acceleration.

At liftoff, the airplane is in a sideslip with crossed controls. A slow, smooth
recovery from this sideslip is accomplished by slowly neutralizing the control
wheel and rudder pedals after liftoff.

This is signed by Chief Pilot - Flight Technical and Safety; B737 Chief Pilot; Chief Pilot - Flight Standards; and the Chief Technical Pilot - B737

I didn't read all six pages, but there were a lot of incorrect responses on page 1. The Boeing FCTM is your guide for how to fly the airplane properly per Boeing. Unfortunately most airlines don't give pilots the FCTM. This is what the FCTM for all modern Boeing airplanes says in regard to aileron use during a crosswind takeoff:

Rotation and Takeoff

Begin the takeoff roll with the control wheel approximately centered. Throughout
the takeoff roll, gradually increase control wheel displacement into the wind only

Note: Excessive control wheel displacement during rotation and liftoff increases

This is signed by Chief Pilot - Flight Technical and Safety; B737 Chief Pilot; Chief Pilot - Flight Standards; and the Chief Technical Pilot - B737

Pretty sure this is exactly what our handbook says, possibly verbatim. But I agree, I think there should be the manufacturer manual, and perhaps the company addendum or something like that to go with it, for the areas where technique or operation specific procedures need to be outlined.

Rotation and Takeoff

This kind of seems backward….but I guess it’s a big airplane thing…in little jets you need less aileron as you accelerate and the flight controls become more effective, to where unless you have a very strong gusty xwind the ailerons are usually practically neutral by rotation. I wonder why the difference?

That would annoy me. I would read that as passive-aggressive.

Why do you not want "paper on the pedestal"? I've seen people like that, including one ... special ... captain who basically took anything printed out and put it on his side. I started just printing two copies of everything, which seemed to annoy him more.

Back